Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998351 times)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #21320 on: October 21, 2009, 11:46:16 PM »
Watching Ian McKellen be awesome is the best way to study for an exam ever.
And he is, so awesome.

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #21321 on: October 21, 2009, 11:50:10 PM »
...A Valparaiso (Joris Ivens, 1963) (Short)
Hmm. Interesting. Pretty great, really. Has some beautiful photography, and the voice over works so well. The transition to colour was such a shock and so perfect. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

B

Statues Also Die (Alain Resnais & Chris Marker, 1953) (Short)
This was the one I came the closest to falling asleep in, so don't ask too many questions. There is pretty great stuff to it, but nearly 24 hours on, I can't really tell you enough to form an opinion.

La Jetee (Chris Marker, 1962) (Short)
So beautiful. So, so beautiful. I'd seen this before in class, but it's a totally different experience in a theatre watching a beautiful 35mm print. There is something really interesting going on, and it's totally captivating, although I guess I had a few issues. It becomes a little elliptical at the end in an annoying way, a little like things are being crushed together. But I really enjoyed it, and I think it's so rich.

B+

Sunday in Peking (Chris Marker, 1956) (Short)
Oddly racist in an ignorant way, which is slightly surprising. Not as engaging or beautiful as ...A Valparaiso. Still, it does have some really joyful moments that work well. I think it was probably a lot more interesting around the time it was made.

Les Astronauts (Walerian Borowczyk & Chris Marker, 1959) (Short)
Quite amusing, technically interesting.

Sans Soleil (Chris Marker, 1982)
Wow. So beautiful, so interesting. I was tired, and struggled a little to stay awake, but there was always something to look at, something to see, something going on, something to hear. And the way it's woven further and further around itself is so interesting, and it becomes really complex and beautiful and has these fantastic moments of revelation. It requires a little patience, but it's totally worth it. Amazing in 35mm, and I would so, so love to see it again some time.

Wonderful.

A-

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #21322 on: October 22, 2009, 12:04:21 AM »

So beautiful. So, so beautiful. I'd seen this before in class, but it's a totally different experience in a theatre watching a beautiful 35mm print. There is something really interesting going on, and it's totally captivating, although I guess I had a few issues. It becomes a little elliptical at the end in an annoying way, a little like things are being crushed together. But I really enjoyed it, and I think it's so rich.

B+

I watched this today too. I'm surprised at your grade cause it sounds like you liked it as much almost as I do, and I give it an A+. It really is the most beautiful short film I've ever seen.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #21323 on: October 22, 2009, 12:05:41 AM »
Brick (2005)

Originally I was going to write an actual review about this, but out of laziness I decided not to. All I will say is this, I loved the transplanted dialogue, and pretty much everything about this film. But, any time a film works the word effulgent into a characters mouth I can only respond with a "Whoa, awesome."

Had my hand on this at Blockbuster this evening but got "Doubt" instead. 
One of these days....
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #21324 on: October 22, 2009, 12:08:30 AM »
CSSCHNEIDER is going on a post-completion binge... lucky devil!

And onto yet another review...

FANBOYS

Chris, the /Filmcast had a great interview with the director on one of their After Hours podcasts about a month ago.  Have you heard that?  Really interesting no-holds-barred comments about the "Business" around getting an edit an release for that film.  
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 12:39:37 AM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #21325 on: October 22, 2009, 12:11:33 AM »

B+

I watched this today too. I'm surprised at your grade cause it sounds like you liked it as much almost as I do, and I give it an A+. It really is the most beautiful short film I've ever seen.
Yeah, I probably don't express the few problems I have with it well. There's something that's lacking, and it's small, but it stops this being great for me. It's not as engaging as it might be, maybe, or it might be that the story is a bit simplistic (which it's not), but for whatever reason, it just doesn't quite come together. It's great, but it's just missing... something.

I know that's not really enough, but it's hard to pin down whatever doesn't work for me.

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #21326 on: October 22, 2009, 12:37:27 AM »
Watching Ian McKellen be awesome is the best way to study for an exam ever.
I'll just assume you're watching Extras.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #21327 on: October 22, 2009, 12:44:45 AM »

That looks like a fantastic program.  Glad you liked Sans soleil so much.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21328 on: October 22, 2009, 01:06:03 AM »
Black Dynamite

Yup, that one.  Saw a rough cut with temp music and sound, missing some shots and score, partially ungraded.  Guess what?  Its the funniest film of the year.  Incredibly well made, reminded me a lot of Garth Marenghi's Dark Place.  They completely nail the genre to the wall and then take it ten steps beyond for great laughs.  A must see and one of the best films of the year.

If I could program an evening at a cinema for this I'd screen Black Dynamite followed by Truck Turner and Dolemite.  A perfect evening in my book.

Grade A-
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 01:14:17 AM by CSSCHNEIDER »
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #21329 on: October 22, 2009, 01:20:50 AM »

That looks like a fantastic program.  Glad you liked Sans soleil so much.
Yeah, I haven't made it to Cinematheque in a while, but last night was too good to pass up. There's more Marker in the next two weeks, including Description of a Struggle, which I'm really looking forward to.

love