love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996881 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #21420 on: October 24, 2009, 01:32:41 AM »
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974).

First time seeing this film. It's pretty freaking great. Gorgeous for what it was made with. I love the cinematography and camera moves and so on and so forth. Also really terrifying. Like that dinner scene will haunt my dreams. Watched it with a couple of friends and we all cheered when the guy in the wheelchair got it. The scene immediately following that (the girl running through the woods) was perhaps one of the best chase scenes I've seen. I really can't recommend this classic (and the blu ray version especially) more.

A.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #21421 on: October 24, 2009, 02:06:44 AM »
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
I didn't hate it, but I just feel sort of blank about it. I was pretty bored, to be honest.
I hear ya.
I liked it just slightly more than you.  That had everything to do with Kristen Bell.
The Dracula puppet show was awesome the rest was meh.
Bill Hader is the best thing about that film.

"Look, I'm in Hawaii too!"

Oh, wow. Cool. I was feeling like I was the only one who didn't much care for it.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #21422 on: October 24, 2009, 02:07:35 AM »

First time seeing this film. It's pretty freaking great. Gorgeous for what it was made with. I love the cinematography and camera moves and so on and so forth. Also really terrifying. Like that dinner scene will haunt my dreams. Watched it with a couple of friends and we all cheered when the guy in the wheelchair got it. The scene immediately following that (the girl running through the woods) was perhaps one of the best chase scenes I've seen. I really can't recommend this classic (and the blu ray version especially) more.

A.
I'm too scared to see it.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #21423 on: October 24, 2009, 02:14:57 AM »
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
I didn't hate it, but I just feel sort of blank about it. I was pretty bored, to be honest.
I hear ya.
I liked it just slightly more than you.  That had everything to do with Kristen Bell.
The Dracula puppet show was awesome the rest was meh.
Bill Hader is the best thing about that film.

"Look, I'm in Hawaii too!"

Oh, wow. Cool. I was feeling like I was the only one who didn't much care for it.

You are all crazy. It's nothing new, but it is comedy gold.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21424 on: October 24, 2009, 03:12:42 AM »
Grace

I'm sorry StarCarly.  

Grade F

Gangster No. 1

There is a lot to admire in this film, none of it, however, involves Malcom McDowell.  Paul Bettany delivers one of is best performances.  Specifically the scene in the kitchen.  Wow, its just amazing the performances he and Eddie Marsan deliver in that scene alone.  Give 'em Oscars for that scene, its so amazing.

Grade B (Its generous, but that one scene is so incredible.)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 03:19:38 AM by CSSCHNEIDER »
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #21425 on: October 24, 2009, 09:12:55 AM »
#244.-246.

Scream (Wes Craven, 1996) -

Still Great.

Rating: 4/4

Scream 2 (Wes Craven, 1997) -

Still quite good.

Rating: 3/4

Scream 3 (Wes Craven, 2000) -

Still pretty good.

Rating: 3/4

Overall thoughts on the series: I think why I love this trilogy so much is because of the way it toys with you. It toys with who the suspects are. It is also very high energy and suspenseful. The films are all about 2 hours long, but they never feel that long, they go by so fast because there is so much action and excitement going on. There does become a bit of a formula in 2 and 3, but that formula was established in the original which is why that one is great. It is so meta and I am a big fan of that. Randy's character especially, but all of the characters too make the films so self-aware of themselves. They know they are in a horror film and how things are supposed to unfold, but yet they don't. It's a great concept and I'm glad I did this mini-marathon.

Rankings: 1>2>3
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #21426 on: October 24, 2009, 09:37:26 AM »
Raging Bull - Martin Scorsese, 1980.

Great biopic. Expected it to drag and be a bit dull, but was pleasantly surprised by the energy of the story. There was the right balance of fighting both in and out of the ring, and I loved all the discomfort and paranoia; Jake's inability to communicate was captured perfectly. The black and white was stunning and the music was probably the best feature of the movie for mine. I'm not a big De Niro fan at all, but he's really good here. 8/10.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

duder

• Elite Member
« Reply #21427 on: October 24, 2009, 09:52:32 AM »
You forgot the spoiler tags man.  

;)

There are some surprises :)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #21428 on: October 24, 2009, 10:39:32 AM »

A.

It's really well made and really scary. I don't think it's vital to see it but I wouldn't put it off forever either.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #21429 on: October 24, 2009, 10:42:33 AM »

A.

It's really well made and really scary. I don't think it's vital to see it but I wouldn't put it off forever either.

The original TCM didn't work for me, not a terrible experience or anything but not one I considered worth the effort. I look for suspense instead of scares and it never set up any of its suspenseful moments and thus lacked any and all suspense. I wouldn't worry about being scared, I didn't see much in it that should cause anyone fright, but then again it has been scaring people for years now so what do I know.