Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997154 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #21610 on: October 28, 2009, 12:18:53 PM »
Best movie of 2008!

No, but it's close.

Of course you must be thinking of Synecdoche, New York, right?

Well, I do own S,NY on DVD and not Doubt... But Doubt is still better. By a bit.

You are both close, but the correct answer is Wendy and Lucy.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #21611 on: October 28, 2009, 01:05:05 PM »
Seven Samurai

You really can see how so many things come from this film. Nevertheless, it was a hard slog for the 3 1/2 hours and didn't live up to my lofty expectations. I'll give it another go in about three years; hopefully I see it differently. :(
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21612 on: October 28, 2009, 01:06:32 PM »
Seven Samurai

You really can see how so many things come from this film. Nevertheless, it was a hard slog for the 3 1/2 hours and didn't live up to my lofty expectations. I'll give it another go in about three years; hopefully I see it differently. :(

I agree I respected this much more than I liked it. (I think from now on when you post something we can infer I agree, and visa versa! :D )
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 01:27:54 PM by Clovis8 »

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #21613 on: October 28, 2009, 01:21:26 PM »
Seven Samurai

I don't think I'll ever understand how this film could be considered a hard slog, the writing and characters are so strong, but I'm sorry you didn't like it more. Not to try and talk you out of your opinion, but if you're not very familiar with this period of Japanese history, you should read this Criterion essay. I loved the movie even without the historical knowledge, but I've certainly come to appreciate it more by understanding better the important underlying themes Kurosawa uses.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #21614 on: October 28, 2009, 01:25:01 PM »
Seven Samurai

I agree I respected this much more than I liked it.

I have a hard time imagining anyone doing otherwise. :-\ There are of course many people who do exactly that. They truly enjoy it.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #21615 on: October 28, 2009, 01:32:33 PM »
I have a hard time imagining anyone doing otherwise. :-\ There are of course many people who do exactly that. They truly enjoy it.

I'm standing right here. 8)

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21616 on: October 28, 2009, 01:38:22 PM »
Best movie of 2008!

No, but it's close.

Well, I do own S,NY on DVD and not Doubt... But Doubt is still better. By a bit.

You are both close, but the correct answer is Wendy and LucyHunger.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #21617 on: October 28, 2009, 01:38:53 PM »
Seven Samurai

I don't think I'll ever understand how this film could be considered a hard slog, the writing and characters are so strong, but I'm sorry you didn't like it more. Not to try and talk you out of your opinion, but if you're not very familiar with this period of Japanese history, you should read this Criterion essay. I loved the movie even without the historical knowledge, but I've certainly come to appreciate it more by understanding better the important underlying themes Kurosawa uses.

Good essay. I didn't know this history before watching it but it wasn't difficult to pick up the vibe from the film. The bit about cutting his hair is pretty cool.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not totally alone in my overall impression.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #21618 on: October 28, 2009, 02:05:05 PM »
Best movie of 2008!

No, but it's close.

You are both close, but the correct answer is Wendy and LucyHunger.

I'm counting that as 2009, and even then, no.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21619 on: October 28, 2009, 02:08:12 PM »
Seven Samurai

Agreed. The first hour is so hard to get through as it is tediously slow. Like you I intend to wait a while before revisiting this one.

love