love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997878 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #21620 on: October 28, 2009, 02:17:40 PM »
Seven Samurai

You really can see how so many things come from this film. Nevertheless, it was a hard slog for the 3 1/2 hours and didn't live up to my lofty expectations. I'll give it another go in about three years; hopefully I see it differently. :(
Agreed. The first hour is so hard to get through as it is tediously slow. Like you I intend to wait a while before revisiting this one.

I'd recently been inspired to queue this up.  I'll have to read that essay first and expect maybe more than one night to break it up. 
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21621 on: October 28, 2009, 02:20:54 PM »
Seven Samurai

You really can see how so many things come from this film. Nevertheless, it was a hard slog for the 3 1/2 hours and didn't live up to my lofty expectations. I'll give it another go in about three years; hopefully I see it differently. :(
Agreed. The first hour is so hard to get through as it is tediously slow. Like you I intend to wait a while before revisiting this one.

I'd recently been inspired to queue this up.  I'll have to read that essay first and expect maybe more than one night to break it up. 
It's where I started with Kurosawa and probably the best place to begin.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #21622 on: October 28, 2009, 02:32:06 PM »
Seven Samurai

The first hour is probably the best part. So much fun, and such great character introductions.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #21623 on: October 28, 2009, 02:34:14 PM »
Seven Samurai

I don't think I'll ever understand how this film could be considered a hard slog, the writing and characters are so strong, but I'm sorry you didn't like it more. Not to try and talk you out of your opinion, but if you're not very familiar with this period of Japanese history, you should read this Criterion essay. I loved the movie even without the historical knowledge, but I've certainly come to appreciate it more by understanding better the important underlying themes Kurosawa uses.

While I thin of SS as a great film I can understand this particular complaint. I thought there was a lot of fat that Kurosawa could have trimmed to keep the film from bogging down in its own minutiae so much.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #21624 on: October 28, 2009, 02:48:30 PM »
Its hard for me to imagine myself sitting through any three and half hour movie, but I own Seven Samurai so maybe over Christmas break I'll force myself through it.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #21625 on: October 28, 2009, 02:51:44 PM »
Its hard for me to imagine myself sitting through any three and half hour movie, but I own Seven Samurai so maybe over Christmas break I'll force myself through it.

I find that I can't sit through 3+ hour movies anymore unless they are very action based or something I absolutely love, like Lord Of The Rings. Even with The Human Condition I, a movie I loved a fair bit, I had to take a few different breaks to stop the monotony from setting in.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21626 on: October 28, 2009, 02:53:25 PM »

I agree, but I was riveted during Magnolia, so there's always hope.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #21627 on: October 28, 2009, 03:47:01 PM »
Seven Samurai

I don't think I'll ever understand how this film could be considered a hard slog, the writing and characters are so strong, but I'm sorry you didn't like it more. Not to try and talk you out of your opinion, but if you're not very familiar with this period of Japanese history, you should read this Criterion essay. I loved the movie even without the historical knowledge, but I've certainly come to appreciate it more by understanding better the important underlying themes Kurosawa uses.

While I thin of SS as a great film I can understand this particular complaint. I thought there was a lot of fat that Kurosawa could have trimmed to keep the film from bogging down in its own minutiae so much.

The minutiae is what makes it great. If Kurosawa "got to the point", he would lose the point.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #21628 on: October 28, 2009, 03:48:55 PM »
I have no problem with long films. If a movie is good, I don't care how long it is. I'll find the time. To me, 70 minutes with a bad film feels longer than 200 minutes with a great film.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #21629 on: October 28, 2009, 04:07:09 PM »
As long as Seven Samurai was, it flew by.  Time is always fast when you're with people you like.  I didn't care for a number of things in this movie, but that's because I was too involved with the people.  Truly a great film, and worth the time invested.

And Wendy and Lucy might very well be my favorite movie of 2008, with S, NY coming up right behind. 
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky