love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997474 times)

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #21630 on: October 28, 2009, 04:15:32 PM »
I don't care about the HIV jokes, after several rewatches, "In Bruges" is still the best film of 08.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #21631 on: October 28, 2009, 04:23:45 PM »
You people with your short attention spans make me ill.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #21632 on: October 28, 2009, 04:27:16 PM »

"The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford" is probably my favorite film of 07. So, I sometimes know how ya feel.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21633 on: October 28, 2009, 04:30:04 PM »

I dont think it has much to do with attention spans. There are plenty of long films that kept me riveted from start to end (Braveheart, Dances with Wolves, Lawrence of Arabia, Godfathers, OUATIA, Magnolia). Seven Samaria is just not one of them.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #21634 on: October 28, 2009, 04:33:59 PM »
Seven Samurai

You really can see how so many things come from this film. Nevertheless, it was a hard slog for the 3 1/2 hours and didn't live up to my lofty expectations. I'll give it another go in about three years; hopefully I see it differently. :(

I don't think I'll ever understand how this film could be considered a hard slog, the writing and characters are so strong, but I'm sorry you didn't like it more. Not to try and talk you out of your opinion, but if you're not very familiar with this period of Japanese history, you should read this Criterion essay. I loved the movie even without the historical knowledge, but I've certainly come to appreciate it more by understanding better the important underlying themes Kurosawa uses.

While I thin of SS as a great film I can understand this particular complaint. I thought there was a lot of fat that Kurosawa could have trimmed to keep the film from bogging down in its own minutiae so much.

The minutiae is what makes it great. If Kurosawa "got to the point", he would lose the point.

I disagree, he took his time to build the characters and build the world and that worked fine for me. Where he lost me were the unnecessarily long pauses at times, or the shots of grass rustling that seemed to be built in to give the viewer time to ruminate over what they had just seen. Those moments aren't necessary because the pacing of the film outside of those moments allows for the aforementioned rumination to take place.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #21635 on: October 28, 2009, 04:35:16 PM »

I'm sorry what was that your were saying?  I kinda dozed off half way through
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Fugee

• Elite Member
« Reply #21636 on: October 28, 2009, 04:35:32 PM »
I don't care about the HIV jokes, after several rewatches, "In Bruges" is still the best film of 08.
Absolutely this!

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #21637 on: October 28, 2009, 04:42:27 PM »

I dont think it has much to do with attention spans. There are plenty of long films that kept me riveted from start to end (Braveheart, Dances with Wolves, Lawrence of Arabia, Godfathers, OUATIA, Magnolia). Seven Samaria is just not one of them.

My comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek because it's something I've really had problems with this year.  I really hate that I have a hard time watching anything over 2 hrs. in one sitting (getting restless/sleepy/whatever) these days.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #21638 on: October 28, 2009, 04:43:43 PM »

My comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek because it's something I've really had problems with this year.  I really hate that I have a hard time watching anything over 2 hrs. in one sitting (getting restless/sleepy/whatever) these days.

You're an old man now, there's no turning back.   :P

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21639 on: October 28, 2009, 04:51:09 PM »

"The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford" is probably my favorite film of 07. So, I sometimes know how ya feel.

It was one of mine and I've seen it at least 5 times.  Its so engaging.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

love