love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997891 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #21640 on: October 28, 2009, 04:53:19 PM »
You people with your short attention spans make me ill.

"The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford" is probably my favorite film of 07. So, I sometimes know how ya feel.

It was one of mine and I've seen it at least 5 times.  Its so engaging.

This is something I've picked up and put down about a dozen times looking over the $10 rack at Target.  I should probably just go and pull the trigger on it.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #21641 on: October 28, 2009, 05:11:02 PM »
I have a hard time imagining anyone doing otherwise. :-\ There are of course many people who do exactly that. They truly enjoy it.

I'm standing right here. 8)

I read your post right after I posted mine and lol'd :)

It's annoying when people enjoy something you don't. I've got joy jealously ;)

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21642 on: October 28, 2009, 05:32:14 PM »
That's how I felt after watching Trick R Treat.  I'm gonna watch it again and I hope it works better for me the second time around.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #21643 on: October 28, 2009, 05:38:47 PM »
Its hard for me to imagine myself sitting through any three and half hour movie, but I own Seven Samurai so maybe over Christmas break I'll force myself through it.

You should join me in building up a tolerance for long films, culminating in a 9 and a half hour single sitting (bathroom breaks aside) viewing of The Human Condition, which I hope to take part in over Christmas Break.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #21644 on: October 28, 2009, 05:50:54 PM »

I dont think it has much to do with attention spans. There are plenty of long films that kept me riveted from start to end (Braveheart, Dances with Wolves, Lawrence of Arabia, Godfathers, OUATIA, Magnolia). Seven Samaria is just not one of them.

My comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek because it's something I've really had problems with this year.  I really hate that I have a hard time watching anything over 2 hrs. in one sitting (getting restless/sleepy/whatever) these days.

You're an old man now, there's no turning back.   :P

Nah, I'm still spry. I'm fine if I'm in a theater but I'm too easily distracted at home, especially if I'm watching something on the computer.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #21645 on: October 28, 2009, 06:00:22 PM »

Finally watched this the other night. Sorry pix but there is not a whole lot there. I swear, that guy in the opening crime scene is just turning up the steam so that the good guys can't make out his killer's face for the next 30 min or so. Incredibly conventional and it still doesn't always make sense. There's the occasional neat idea but overall, this needed a lot more MacGyverisms.
The first one is really high on my guilty pleasures list.  This sequel was entirely forgottable - I say that based on the fact that I've completely forgot everything about it.
Oops, yeah, if I accidentally championed the sequel, I screwed up.  Forgettable is the right word.  It's kind of a typical 80s sequel, if I remember correctly — like, say, Beverly Hills Cop 2 — an empty shell of the first movie, but still kind of fun despite being so slight.  I'm with ferris on the original, though — definitely a guilty pleasure.  I like the general concept a lot and love Bryan Brown and Brian Dennehy together — especially Brown.  Maybe it helps to watch 'Breaker' Morant first?  :D

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21646 on: October 28, 2009, 06:04:24 PM »

"The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford" is probably my favorite film of 07. So, I sometimes know how ya feel.

It was one of mine and I've seen it at least 5 times.  Its so engaging.

This is something I've picked up and put down about a dozen times looking over the $10 rack at Target.  I should probably just go and pull the trigger on it.

Do! It's an amazing movie.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

NedMeier

• Elite Member
« Reply #21647 on: October 28, 2009, 07:00:13 PM »
Its hard for me to imagine myself sitting through any three and half hour movie, but I own Seven Samurai so maybe over Christmas break I'll force myself through it.

You should join me in building up a tolerance for long films, culminating in a 9 and a half hour single sitting (bathroom breaks aside) viewing of The Human Condition, which I hope to take part in over Christmas Break.

they showed the whole movie at the Detroit Film Theater last winter...I was very close to going but backed out at the last minute. I had regrets instantly.
Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad  | The Worst

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21648 on: October 28, 2009, 07:10:53 PM »
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

NedMeier

• Elite Member
« Reply #21649 on: October 28, 2009, 07:35:41 PM »
Here is my review of Where the Wild Things Are.
My new #2 movie of the year.
Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad  | The Worst