Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996847 times)

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #21710 on: October 30, 2009, 12:36:50 PM »
You Graduate haters can kiss my grits.  :P

Plastics.

It's iconic!

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21711 on: October 30, 2009, 12:42:12 PM »
The Graduate - Mike Nichols, 1967

I had high expectations for this classic (I love Nichols' Closer and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?). For the first half hour or so I was enthralled – Mrs. Robinson was dynamite, the dialogue was snappy and there were some great little scenes (through-the-leg shot was cool and I liked the one where the camera is in the bedroom watching Ben fumbling on the stairs, begging him to return to the bedroom). Their vapid relationship was set-up fantastically and was a great precursor to the necessary confrontation: “we’re going to have a conversation.” Angst creeps in, things are uneasy, how will this develop? Well ... it doesn’t, it just stops dead. Mrs. Robinson (the only interesting character) just disappears, the boring daughter comes in and consequently the movie just dies. With the departure of Mrs. Robinson, nobody says anything interesting and we are stuck watching a bunch of insipid fools. I don’t understand how something so good can go so bad. First 30 minutes: 9/10. The rest: 3/10.
There's so much I love about this film, the awkward social situations, the slow crawl through time, the montages and the end. Wow. I can just watch the end and by itself and feel the full power of it. I think it perfectly captures that feeling of still being a child while being shoved into the adult world. There's so much that this film just conveys through the images that I find it a powerful and effective film.

Zombieland - dull
Yes

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #21712 on: October 30, 2009, 01:06:04 PM »
Plastics.

It's iconic!
Damn strait it is. And don't you patronize me, monkey boy.   :)
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #21713 on: October 30, 2009, 01:17:10 PM »

I had high expectations for this classic (I love Nichols' Closer and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?). For the first half hour or so I was enthralled – Mrs. Robinson was dynamite, the dialogue was snappy and there were some great little scenes (through-the-leg shot was cool and I liked the one where the camera is in the bedroom watching Ben fumbling on the stairs, begging him to return to the bedroom). Their vapid relationship was set-up fantastically and was a great precursor to the necessary confrontation: “we’re going to have a conversation.” Angst creeps in, things are uneasy, how will this develop? Well ... it doesn’t, it just stops dead. Mrs. Robinson (the only interesting character) just disappears, the boring daughter comes in and consequently the movie just dies. With the departure of Mrs. Robinson, nobody says anything interesting and we are stuck watching a bunch of insipid fools. I don’t understand how something so good can go so bad. First 30 minutes: 9/10. The rest: 3/10.
There's so much I love about this film, the awkward social situations, the slow crawl through time, the montages and the end. Wow. I can just watch the end and by itself and feel the full power of it. I think it perfectly captures that feeling of still being a child while being shoved into the adult world. There's so much that this film just conveys through the images that I find it a powerful and effective film.

My sentiments exactly, sam. Well-said.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #21714 on: October 30, 2009, 01:21:04 PM »
Plastics.

It's iconic!
Damn strait it is. And don't you patronize me, monkey boy.   :)

I'm rolling down my stockings...

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21715 on: October 30, 2009, 01:53:12 PM »

And the DP was apparently in his 70s when he helped make and capture those images.  What was so different?  New, faster anamorphic zoom lens.  Who says old dogs can't learn new tricks?  Or at least new tools.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #21716 on: October 30, 2009, 02:20:16 PM »
The River (1997, Tsai Ming-Liang)
B

Humph, parents are such a pain the neck.

This Sporting Life (1963, Lindsay Anderson)
B+

Boom shacka lack!
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #21717 on: October 30, 2009, 04:08:19 PM »
Not all, most. CG was used in certain cases where models were too restrictive, and to tie things together, and do set extensions and the like. I'm all for traditional model work, but it's very ignorant to say all CG looks bad, especially when you're being fooled by it all the time.

Ignorant or not CGI looks bad more often than not and the more there is the worse the movie looks. You may love it, but I hate it. I am fine with it being a minor addition but when it is the main tool it makes for a terrible looking movie.

So much wrong with this post, especially when numerous examples have been given to you in the past that prove this to not be the case.

You can give me all the examples you like and it wont change the fact that traditional effects look significantly better then CGI in nearly every case.

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes v. Jurassic Park?
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

flieger

« Reply #21718 on: October 30, 2009, 04:11:53 PM »
Repulsion - Roman Polanski, 1965

Absolutely loved it. I would advise not reading anything about it - just come in fresh as I did. Polanski creates a wonderfully weird, creepy world full of reflections and skewed angles. I was shocked, aghast, mouth agape for pretty much the entire 100 minutes. 9/10.

Same with me. The silent bit where the wall opens up, still sends shivers down my spine!

Glad you liked it, one of my favourite psychological-horror films.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #21719 on: October 30, 2009, 04:13:39 PM »
Not all, most. CG was used in certain cases where models were too restrictive, and to tie things together, and do set extensions and the like. I'm all for traditional model work, but it's very ignorant to say all CG looks bad, especially when you're being fooled by it all the time.

Ignorant or not CGI looks bad more often than not and the more there is the worse the movie looks. You may love it, but I hate it. I am fine with it being a minor addition but when it is the main tool it makes for a terrible looking movie.

So much wrong with this post, especially when numerous examples have been given to you in the past that prove this to not be the case.

You can give me all the examples you like and it wont change the fact that traditional effects look significantly better then CGI in nearly every case.

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes v. Jurassic Park?

I couldn't eat any tomatoes for weeks after watching that.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

love