Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997363 times)

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
Re: Rate the last movie you watched
« Reply #1330 on: July 07, 2007, 02:39:54 AM »
Friday, two in and two out:

Paris, Je T'Aime - very enjoyable, only three of the shorts I didn't care for (Tykwer, Payne, and Suwa), though each had redeeming bits. Most enjoyed Schmitz, Van Sant, and Depardieu & Aubertin.   

The Glamorous Life of Sachiko Hanai - great pink film update of Strangelove, though this one works its anti-war, anti-phallic critique through theme of rape culture.

The Last Laugh - really didn't like it.  On top of being somewhat bored with it, the epilogue of gaining wealth and sharing with the less fortunate was crap.

Orlando - I need to watch this one again when I am more attentive.  I quite enjoyed the film, but great appreciation came with about 20ish minutes remaining.  Great commentary on sex, gender, and pleasure.
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

clownation

• Wild West (1920) M.C.Escher
« Reply #1331 on: July 07, 2007, 05:37:20 AM »
Orlando - I need to watch this one again when I am more attentive.  I quite enjoyed the film, but great appreciation came with about 20ish minutes remaining.  Great commentary on sex, gender, and pleasure.
I found Orlando to be as pleasing to eye and ear as it was pleasing/stimulating to my mind.  The music is perfect for the film.
The heads. You're looking at the heads. Sometimes he goes too far. He's the first one to admit it.

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #1332 on: July 07, 2007, 11:24:54 AM »
Tonight I am going down my favorite theater to watch a double feature of Bicycle Thieves & Umberto D. Let me just say There Will Be Tears!
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #1333 on: July 07, 2007, 11:53:23 AM »
Tonight I am going down my favorite theater to watch a double feature of Bicycle Thieves & Umberto D. Let me just say There Will Be Tears!

What a fabulous double bill!  Wish I could experience that.  What's the theatre?
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #1334 on: July 07, 2007, 12:22:39 PM »
www.newbevcinema.com/index.cfm

It's 3 blocks from my house! I go all the time.
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #1335 on: July 07, 2007, 12:26:40 PM »
The Children Are Watching Us 5/5

Oh my. This room is quite dusty.

JoshuaOst

« Reply #1336 on: July 07, 2007, 05:17:46 PM »
Brazil - I absolutely loved this film.  That someone would even think of butchering this masterpiece is absurd.  Gilliam is a genius.  This might even make my top 10!
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #1337 on: July 07, 2007, 07:35:20 PM »
Hardbodies 2- I'm not sure if it's bad or so bad it's good, but I now long to see Hardbodies again...
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

roner

• Groovy
    • Boxwatcher
« Reply #1338 on: July 07, 2007, 11:00:21 PM »
The Woodsman-  Excellent movie.  Difficult subject matter but worth the effort of getting involved in the story.  All the acting is great especially Kevin Bacon.  Who knew he could be such a powerful actor?

**** out of *****

"No matter where you go, there you are."
                               -Buckaroo Banzai

www.boxwatcher.net
www.viewfromthecheapseatsonline.com
With Podcast!

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #1339 on: July 08, 2007, 03:36:24 AM »
Thanks to my local Revival Theater, I just caught a double feature of Bicycle Thieves & Umberto D. Although I have seen both films before, A big screen viewing is always like a first viewing.