Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997139 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #22520 on: November 14, 2009, 09:24:43 PM »
Bride Wars (video only)

Anne Hathaway is really pretty.

tjwells

• Elite Member
« Reply #22521 on: November 14, 2009, 09:48:48 PM »
2012 (Roland Emmerich, 2009)

plot synopsis: An epic adventure about a global cataclysm that brings an end to the world and tells of the heroic struggle of the survivors.

Everything about 2012 is over-the-top, ridiculous, and overblown. The script is riddled with cliches. Just about every actor in the film (sans the children…nope, check that, them too) chews every piece of scenery they can get their hands on. And if you showed this to any person with a remotely advanced knowledge of Science, they would probably laugh you out of the room.

But who cares? THIS MOVIE WAS AWESOME.

That is really the only word to describe Roland Emmerich’s (Independence Day, The Day After Tomorrow) third film in his unofficial “Kill Everyone and Blow Up Everything” trilogy. This is a film that lives and dies with its special effects, and my GOD, do they live up to expectations. Earthquakes sucking up cities, tidal waves swallowing Mt. Everest, it’s all there. Avatar seems to be the big technical frontrunner for next year’s Oscars, but I think my votes will be with 2012.

The summer of 2009 needed its mindless popcorn flick. X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Terminator: Salvation, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen were all massive disappointments. Well, we finally got it, albeit a few months late. Yes, it’s nice when popcorn flicks can be smart as well as entertaining (Star Trek, Drag Me to Hell). But every once in awhile, I like to be able to just shut off my brain and go along for the ride. That happened about ten minutes in here; don’t attempt to follow any semblance of logic you think they’re trying to get across, because it’s not there.

I said the acting was over-the-top, and it was, but again, that is EXACTLY what you need in a film like this. Woody Harrelson is a particular standout as an RV livin’, conspiracy theory preachin’ radio host (who somehow manages to get perfect reception out despite the fact he broadcasts from the middle of Yellowstone in his trailer). Want a pickle?

I may come across as a highfalutin, better-than-you cineaste, but I’m really just a movie lover at heart. And this film (right down to Chiwetel Ejiofor’s cheeseball “we’re ALL humans” speech at the end (clearly aping Pullman in Independence Day)) had me hook, line, and sinker.

Yup, the dog lives. Sadly, the rooster doesn’t.

http://filmfidelity.com/

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22522 on: November 14, 2009, 09:58:45 PM »
Why is it Ok for a movie to have a horrible story and characters as long as there are lots of effects? I have never understood this logic. Is there a reason it cant have lots of effects AND a good story?

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #22523 on: November 14, 2009, 10:00:06 PM »
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (1989, Joe Johnson)

It was entertain the kids with a movie night so we rented this tonight - again using the nice feature that blockbuster gives you of trading in an envelope for something off the shelf.  I traded in The 400 Blows  The guy looked at me with a DVD in each hand, cocked his head a little, raised one eyebrow and began to ask...I cut him off and replied  "That's just the place I'm in right now" .  Indeed.

HISTK is fine middlin' entertainment - not great, not lousy.  The special effects sadly do not hold up well at all.  They seemed pretty cutting edge when this first came out.  The important thing is the kids enjoyed it.  If C+ is average then this gets....

GRADE: C+
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 10:02:58 PM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #22524 on: November 14, 2009, 10:01:44 PM »
Vendredi Soir

35 Rhums
Nice write-up, Em. I need to catch up on some Claire Denis. The Intruder is on Netflix Instant - is that one worth starting with or should I start somewhere else?

Start with Vendredi Soir.  Out of what's on Netflix, that's her warmest film.  Second, go with Nenette and Boni.  But if 35 Shots of Rum is playing in your city, make that your first Denis; that's her warmest film.
Looks like 35 Rhums will be coming here next month!

Oh, awesome!  If you're going to see Rum for sure then I say just go ahead and make Vendredi your first Denis, Rum second, and Nenette third.
Yes, I'm so happy. I'll have to be quick though - it'll probably be here for only a weekend. The cinema program director doesn't expect a big turnout.
I'll definitely try to check out Vendredi soon.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #22525 on: November 14, 2009, 10:04:42 PM »

It was entertain the kids with a movie night so we rented this tonight - again using the nice feature that blockbuster gives you of trading in an envelope for something off the shelf.  I traded in The 400 Blows  The guy looked at me with a DVD in each hand, cocked his head a little, raised one eyebrow and began to ask...I cut him off and replied  "That's just the place I'm in right now" .  Indeed.

400 Blows and Honey I Shrunk the Kids - love this pairing.  :D

(Where is your 400 Blows review?! I'm so curious about what you thought.)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #22526 on: November 14, 2009, 10:14:51 PM »

Ok I'm going to catch some major flack for this...

I took it back before watching it. Long story that's not very interesting.  Suffice to say a bit of a queue update timing misfire.  I'll get back to it in a month or so when my Goose Egg marathon is over. 
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #22527 on: November 14, 2009, 10:17:12 PM »

Ok I'm going to catch some major flack for this...

I took it back before watching it. Long story that's not very interesting.  Suffice to say a bit of a queue update timing misfire.  I'll get back to it in a month or so when my Goose Egg marathon is over. 
I hear ya. I've taken back many a worthy unwatched film. I know you'll get to it. (You'll be badgered until you do.  ;) )

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #22528 on: November 14, 2009, 11:11:17 PM »
GRADE: C+
I loved this movie when I was a kid, I still like it a fair bit.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22529 on: November 14, 2009, 11:12:49 PM »
I'm pretty sure there is no movie I have seen more times that this.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

love