Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997785 times)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #22530 on: November 14, 2009, 11:15:56 PM »
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (1989, Joe Johnson)
GRADE: C+
I loved this movie when I was a kid, I still like it a fair bit.
I loved it, too. I don't think I've seen it since it was out in the theater.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #22531 on: November 14, 2009, 11:20:03 PM »
I saw it in the theater too, gotta love that Roger Rabbit short that played first. I saw it again about 5 years ago when we rented it for my gf's little sisters. I think I liked it more than the kids did.  :)

I'm pretty sure there is no movie I have seen more times that this.
Blew Up the Kid was a disappointment.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #22532 on: November 14, 2009, 11:25:11 PM »
I saw it in the theater too, gotta love that Roger Rabbit short that played first. I saw it again about 5 years ago when we rented it for my gf's little sisters. I think I liked it more than the kids did.  :)
Haha, that's right, I forgot about that short! I should watch it again with my kids and see who enjoys it more. :)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #22533 on: November 14, 2009, 11:29:22 PM »
An Education

A screenplay with well-constructed plotting and wonderful dialogue lays the foundation.  It supports 3 Oscar-worthy performances amongst a peerless ensemble.  All of which is topped by pitch-perfect direction.

Grade: A

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #22534 on: November 15, 2009, 01:27:28 AM »
Breaker Morant (Bruce Beresford, 1980)

My dad's second favourite movie.
Grade: A
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #22535 on: November 15, 2009, 01:50:36 AM »
Why is it Ok for a movie to have a horrible story and characters as long as there are lots of effects? I have never understood this logic. Is there a reason it cant have lots of effects AND a good story?

Because the Himalayas probably won't be flooded any time soon and a giant ship likely won't crash into the White House in my lifetime. I can, however, pay 10 bucks and see a pretty damn good facsimile of these events. It's worth it sometimes.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22536 on: November 15, 2009, 04:17:49 AM »
The French Connection
Dir.  William Friedkin
DoP. William Fraker

I've given one A+ this decade, I think I've given a dozen to the 70s.  This is one of those films.  I've seen this 10 times or more now and it never fails to thrill me and keep me on the edge of my seat.  The way information is revealed to the audience, or even with held from them amazes me.  This film requires acute attention and active participation from the audience and that excites me more than the incredible filmmaking.

Grade A+

Casion Royale (2006)
Dir.Martin Campbell

One of the best action movies of the last decade.   A great script, great acting, exciting from beginning to middle, then again in the end.  The third act slows up a bit, but its still a freaking great flick.

Grade A

Quantum of Solace
Dir  Marc Forester

THis jockeys for postion as my favorite Bond film.  I LOVE the story and the way its told.  I DO NOT care for the filmmaking, specifically the editing and action direction.  BUT, again the story comes through so strong that I don't care.  The scene in the Opera House is astounding, still.   But this viewing was miserable.  I watched it waith a bunch of friends who all HATED it.  And they talked and made snarky, less than funny remarks, than complained at the end that they had no idea what was going on, couldn't follow the story, and other rude comments.  I lost it.  I didn't yell, but I let fly a bunch of my own snarky comments that basically amounted to me saying if they'd all have shut the CINECAST! up and payed attention instead of talking they'd have followed it.  When they brought up each flaw in the plot or story, but I had the answer, they seemed a little shocked.  Its all there, and I love the way its presented.  Another story that demands attention and participation.  It requires some work on the audience's part, but its totally worth it.

Grade A

Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

tjwells

• Elite Member
« Reply #22537 on: November 15, 2009, 07:26:43 AM »
Why is it Ok for a movie to have a horrible story and characters as long as there are lots of effects? I have never understood this logic. Is there a reason it cant have lots of effects AND a good story?

Because every once in awhile, a convoluted story and cheeseball acting is a good thing.

tjwells

• Elite Member
« Reply #22538 on: November 15, 2009, 07:27:40 AM »

Because the Himalayas probably won't be flooded any time soon and a giant ship likely won't crash into the White House in my lifetime. I can, however, pay 10 bucks and see a pretty damn good facsimile of these events. It's worth it sometimes.

Thank you.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #22539 on: November 15, 2009, 08:23:55 AM »
That drives me nuts when people don't pay attention to a movie and then complain about not knowing what is going on and asking a million questions that would be readily answered if they had just payed attention.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

love