Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997176 times)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #22570 on: November 15, 2009, 10:11:42 PM »
#270-272.

Dumbo, Saludos Amigos, and The Three Caballeros

Reviews in Marathon Section

Ratings: 3.5, 3, 2.5 respectively
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22571 on: November 15, 2009, 10:14:03 PM »
Dear Zachary

While I have some major issues with the editing techniques and sound design.  Thankfully the film is so interesting and devastating that it holds your attention.  Also, Andrew's parents are a massive screen presence and their emotion and convictions are well articulated and formed for the audience.  Again, some of the filmmaking I think hurts the effectiveness of certain scenes.  Still, I recommend it to all.

Grade B+

i especially liked the father's convictions concerning "the bitch", which he spat out multiple times with such venom that i was just as repulsed with him as with the murderess.  his aggressive law and order vibe didn't help his case, either.

Umm, she killed their son and grandson. Bitch is the least of what I would call her. She deserves to be called a lot worse.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 10:26:18 PM by Clovis8 »

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #22572 on: November 15, 2009, 10:15:34 PM »
Dear Zachary

While I have some major issues with the editing techniques and sound design.  Thankfully the film is so interesting and devastating that it holds your attention.  Also, Andrew's parents are a massive screen presence and their emotion and convictions are well articulated and formed for the audience.  Again, some of the filmmaking I think hurts the effectiveness of certain scenes.  Still, I recommend it to all.

Grade B+

i especially liked the father's convictions concerning "the bitch", which he spat out multiple times with such venom that i was just as repulsed with him as with the murderess.  his aggressive law and order vibe didn't help his case, either.

Umm, she killed their daughter and granddaughter. Bitch is the least of what I would call her. She deserves to be called a lot worse.

I think skjerva is bothered by the sexism of it. I'm not sure he even meant it in a sexist way, but even if he did, I still don't see it as anywhere near as horrible as what was done by her to his family.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22573 on: November 15, 2009, 10:19:32 PM »
It's not sexist. She is a massive galactic unrepentant disgusting BITCH! The word is 100% appropriately used in this case. In fact, it is far too mild.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #22574 on: November 15, 2009, 10:23:01 PM »
I really hate his use of the word "bitch" in that movie. I just see him going down to her level, even if it's just for a second. He's smarter and more articulate than that for the rest of the film.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22575 on: November 15, 2009, 10:25:49 PM »
I really hate his use of the word "bitch" in that movie. I just see him going down to her level, even if it's just for a second. He's smarter and more articulate than that for the rest of the film.

Come on you just equated a man calling the woman, who murdered his son and grandson, a bitch with the murder itself. This is ludicrous.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22576 on: November 15, 2009, 10:48:12 PM »
To me, that was one of the most powerful moments in the film because for such an articulate and controlled person to lose it really caught me off guard.  I think he is justified in calling some names after such an ordeal.

Bloods Vs Cripps
Dir.  Stacy Peralta

This had a lot of potential.  Firstly, Peralta directed my favorite Doc in Dogtown and Z-Boys.  Secondly this subject is infinitely interesting to me.  Sadly, this comes across more as a public service announcement than an interesting film.  It is pretty informative, and gave me a perspective on modern racism better than any TV show or other doc has.  We have a long way to go as a country to ending racism, which breaks my heart.

Grade B-
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22577 on: November 15, 2009, 10:56:16 PM »
To me, that was one of the most powerful moments in the film because for such an articulate and controlled person to lose it really caught me off guard.  I think he is justified in calling some names after such an ordeal.

Exactly.

This whole discussion is completely surreal to be honest.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #22578 on: November 15, 2009, 11:09:16 PM »
Watched 2 yesterday,

Master & Commander on Blu-ray.  I had seen it before and thought it was ok but not one I really care to watch over and over.  But...it has great sound in a few of the battle scenes and I had just got a new subwoofer last week so I put it in my queue just to test the sounds.  It did not disappoint and I enjoyed it a bit more this time.

Do the Right Thing - I never saw it before but it comes up from time to time on the Podcast so I bought a copy for $9.99 (plus overseas shipping) when Amazon had a sale on Blu-rays.  I didn't know what to think with the strange dance sequence opening but once it got past the credits, I enjoyed it.  I almost forgot about those "gheto blasters" that we use to also carry around with us in the 80's when I lived in the middle class suburbs north of Chicago.  Now I just hear the sounds of ear piece blaring into people's ears when they walk by.

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #22579 on: November 15, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »

Come on you just equated a man calling the woman, who murdered his son and grandson, a bitch with the murder itself. This is ludicrous.

Hmm. I think you know that's not what I meant.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

love