love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996704 times)

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #22730 on: November 20, 2009, 11:55:32 AM »
An Education

We may have a new number 10.

I like FLY's new way of reviewing movies.

It's just filler until I pound my ass into gear and write reviews more often.

True, but I still enjoy it.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Fugee

• Elite Member
« Reply #22731 on: November 20, 2009, 03:07:15 PM »
Crash - Reminded me a lot of Do The Right Thing (which I think I liked more) but still... "enjoyed" it.
An Education

We may have a new number 10.

I like FLY's new way of reviewing movies.

It's just filler until I pound my ass into gear and write reviews more often.
That sounds strange but that's neat you enjoyed it. I want to see it even more now.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #22732 on: November 20, 2009, 03:19:50 PM »
pound my ass

Too easy.  (But now ¡Keith! can quote this combination of posts and feel sufficiently challenged.)

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #22733 on: November 20, 2009, 03:29:46 PM »
 :D
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #22734 on: November 20, 2009, 04:46:27 PM »
#275.

The Firm (Sydney Pollack, 1991?) -

Meh. Pretty much how I felt all the way through. Some interesting thriller stuff here, but at the end of the day I didn't care much. Overall I didn't even really think it was a well made film, but the strength of the story by Grisham and like I said some of the suspense, I at least wasn't bored.

Rating: **1/2
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #22735 on: November 20, 2009, 05:54:54 PM »
B

Fun action sequences. Fantastic unintentional comedy.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #22736 on: November 20, 2009, 06:35:49 PM »
Spirited Away (2001, Miyazaki)

This changes everything.  I need some time to compose myself.  Review to come later.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #22737 on: November 20, 2009, 06:46:07 PM »
I like the sound of that!

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22738 on: November 20, 2009, 07:00:27 PM »
Spirited Away (2001, Miyazaki)

This changes everything.  I need some time to compose myself.  Review to come later.

thank god Ferris isn't in the 1%.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22739 on: November 20, 2009, 07:06:44 PM »
The Mechanic

I think that Charles Bronson all too often gets snubbed by my generation.  I mentioned him at a party a few months back and everyone in the conversation laughed.  When I stood firm on my belief that he was a great action star in his day someone challenged the idea he was ever viable.  Well, The Mechanic is further proof that when directed well Bronson was great.  Its too bad that Jan Michael Vincent is SUCH A TOOL.  He nearly ruins the film with what can only be described as the most stiff performance I've seen in a long time.  The first 15 minutes are pretty stellar with a cleverly designed and executed assassination.  Totally worth a look.

Grade B

Triad Election (Election 2)
Dir. Johnny To

I think Election is a much stronger overall film, but this touches on some cool ideas.  Still, neither wowed me the way Infernal Affairs did all those years ago.  Johnny To has yet to earn his reputation in my book yet.  He's decent, but not worth the hype.

Grade B

Get Carter (1971)
Dir.  Mike Hodges

This film wowed me for a second time.  It takes its time, builds the tension and the release is great.  This film succeeds where I maintain Brick fails.  It has an intriguing set up, pulls you along very well, all the time leaving these tasty morsels of information like bread crumbs for the audience to follow, but always just enough to keep you wanting more, but never enough to get ahead.  Then when its time to unveil the big secret, its a REAL kick in the teeth.  And the way Hodges delivers the goods is brilliant.  Its worth all the trouble, and then some.  Plus, Caine is such a charismatic bastard you can't help but love him, even when he's hitting women, knifing people and being a self proclaimed villain.  While this isn't as stylish as Hodges later gangster flick I'll Sleep When I'm Dead, this is good. Strike that, its great.

Grade A-

Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

love