love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 4630421 times)

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #22750 on: November 20, 2009, 10:05:37 PM »
The Mechanic

I think that Charles Bronson all too often gets snubbed by my generation.  I mentioned him at a party a few months back and everyone in the conversation laughed.  When I stood firm on my belief that he was a great action star in his day someone challenged the idea he was ever viable.  Well, The Mechanic is further proof that when directed well Bronson was great.  Its too bad that Jan Michael Vincent is SUCH A TOOL.  He nearly ruins the film with what can only be described as the most stiff performance I've seen in a long time.  The first 15 minutes are pretty stellar with a cleverly designed and executed assassination.  Totally worth a look.

Grade B

Bronson is one of my all-time favorites.  Haven't any of those people seen Once Upon a Time in the West?  

I hope none of those people were neo-nazi's, because they might find the wrong end of a bazooka.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #22751 on: November 20, 2009, 10:28:42 PM »
Diving into Sammo Hung's filmography.  Nice!

The Magnificent Butcher Sammo Hung + Yuen Woo-Ping, 1979

Oh, man, this Sammo guy is amazing. I could probably watch him do anything and it would make me laugh. And the drunken hobo guy is even better. I loved that one scene where he gets that one dude to pay for his wine by starting a fight between the two dudes. And that calligraphy duel thing was pretty fantastic, too. A lot of it was really funny, yeah, and the choreography in the fights got progressively better as it went on, but what I didn't really expect were the unexpected dramatic bits of the story, and the surprising turns and all that shit. It even got serious as CINECAST! and I almost teared up a bit but then I wiped them away before anyone could see and make fun of me and I told everyone to CINECAST! off and leave me alone for a bit except I was alone and just kind of thirsty and then the movie ended all of a sudden, like those 30s WB movies pix keeps yapping about. that missing link... so, yeah, good times. Can't wait for more Sammo.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 10:42:09 PM by roujin »

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
« Reply #22752 on: November 20, 2009, 10:46:00 PM »
Wow, that is a lot to put yourself through in one week.  I am not sure how much of AI you can say his, I know he started the project and probably had a script completed, it is a Spielberg movie in the end.  I think Strangelove gets better each time I watch it, I just love the performances.

Paths of Glory is by far one of my favorites, I hope they will restore and release it on BD one day.

It was a memorable week.  There were a few times I had to just go on a walk... And keep on walking... I never knew 2001 ended like that.  I don't care what anybody else says, it was all yes for me.  

Good to know that Strangelove gets better with repeated viewings.  A friend of mine loves it and has been begging me for years to watch it.  He bought it for me, scheduled movie nights so we could watch it together, but ultimately I had to be passive-aggressive and bring other movies.  
The answers you seek are in Norway.

tjwells

• Elite Member
« Reply #22753 on: November 20, 2009, 10:49:11 PM »
An Education (Lone Scherfig, 2009)

A lot has been said about An Education so far, mostly about the supposed powerhouse, breakout performance from relative newcomer Carey Mulligan. And it’s all correct. This is one of the best films of the year.

Mulligan stars as Jenny, a brilliant young British girl growing up in the 1960s. She loves classical music, French films, and discussing Camus in coffee shops. So when along comes the dashing (but much older), and irresistibly charming David (Peter Sarsgaard), she falls head over heels for him. Even if everything else had been a failure, this film would’ve ultimately won me over from Mulligan’s performance alone. Fortunately, that’s not the case. Everything; from the beautifully done costumes, to the razor sharp script by Nick Hornby, to the superb supporting performances from a who’s who of British greats, is incredible.

But let’s start with Mulligan’s performance. I’ll be amazed if I see a better performance (in any category) this year. She manages to straddle this incredibly thin line of appearing to be this elegant, wiser-than-her-years woman, when, in actuality, she’s just another kid who doesn’t know the first thing about life being seduced and screwed up by someone who does (more or less). Endless comparisons have been made between her and Audrey Hepburn, and they’re all deserved. Every time she gives a smile (or more) to David, you just want to grab her and take her away from him so he can’t do anymore damage. These are the kinds of roles that make stars and win Oscars.

The supporting cast is also great, namely Alfred Molina (another good bet for Oscar) and Cara Seymour as Jenny’s parents. Molina’s simultaneous concern for his daughter’s future and disregard having the slightest idea of what she may want for herself is very hard to watch, while Seymour’s eyes give about 90% of her performance.

Finally, I want to give a special mention to the soundtrack, which, while it does include some legitimate 60s songs, also includes recordings from modern artists that may as well have been recorded 50 years ago. Beth Rowley’s “You’ve Got Me Wrapped Around Your Little Finger” could be big very soon.

An Education is one of the best films of the year, and it’s just a matter of time before every hipster girl in America is doing everything they can to dress like Ms. Mulligan.

(extra note: really, carey? shia labeouf? you can do better…)

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
« Reply #22754 on: November 20, 2009, 10:50:19 PM »
The Mechanic

I think that Charles Bronson all too often gets snubbed by my generation.  I mentioned him at a party a few months back and everyone in the conversation laughed.  When I stood firm on my belief that he was a great action star in his day someone challenged the idea he was ever viable.  Well, The Mechanic is further proof that when directed well Bronson was great.  Its too bad that Jan Michael Vincent is SUCH A TOOL.  He nearly ruins the film with what can only be described as the most stiff performance I've seen in a long time.  The first 15 minutes are pretty stellar with a cleverly designed and executed assassination.  Totally worth a look.

Grade B

Bronson is one of my all-time favorites.  Haven't any of those people seen Once Upon a Time in the West?  

I hope none of those people were neo-nazi's, because they might find the wrong end of a bazooka.

Did I really use an apostrphe here? If any of you regard me as an idiot, I'm not oblivious as to why.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #22755 on: November 20, 2009, 10:51:31 PM »
Shh!  Nobody tell HH that he typed apostrophe wrong!

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
« Reply #22756 on: November 20, 2009, 10:57:17 PM »
Shh!  Nobody tell HH that he typed apostrophe wrong!

pixote

Not so much spelled wrog(as in thinking it was speled somthing different), but left out the "o" in rusing. This is how I got to a 1000 post. You post a litle bit more, you sacrifice speling

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #22757 on: November 20, 2009, 11:13:23 PM »
Shia is friends with Cage, and he directed Cage's music video. He is undeniably awesome. Mulligan is really good, as is An Education, but I feel that Gainsbourg is better as a lead, as is the female lead in Thirst. Emma gives a better performance in Lymelife, and then there's still Sam Rockwell blowing everyone else away. She is one of my favorite performances of the year though, but I think I preferred Peter a bit more in the film, maybe. Perhaps not. Either way, glad to see you enjoyed it.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #22758 on: November 20, 2009, 11:33:05 PM »
Spirited Away (2001, Miyazaki)

This changes everything.  I need some time to compose myself.  Review to come later.

This sounds soooo cool.  I can't wait.

OmNom, your week of Kubrick sounds intense.  Great reviews.  Strangelove is worth trying again.  And I agree with you about Clockwork.   Haven't seen Barry Lyndon-- I'll put it on my queue at your recommendation.

And I'm really looking forward to An Education.  Every time I read/hear a review it only stirs me up to see it.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #22759 on: November 21, 2009, 12:29:40 AM »
#276.

The Terminator (James Cameron, 1984) -

Not as great as I remember it. Very 80s and I never loved the 80s. Some of the sound is bad and quite laughable as is the acting at times. But what makes this a classic is the story line and the energy. It wasn't as fast paced and action packed as I remembered, but the action sequences were still great. Still a very good film, just not sure all of it holds up.

Rating: 3/4
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."