love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996982 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #22760 on: November 21, 2009, 01:12:47 AM »
Last week I watched a bunch of Kubrick.  Most of these are movies I'd never seen before.

1.   Day of the Fight (1951)... An interesting glimpse into the life of a boxer, but nothing remarkable

2.   The Killing (1956)... A surprisingly enjoyable heist.  Worthwhile, but especially for the fight with the hairy shirtless guy

3.   Paths of Glory (1957)...  Loved it.  Kirk Douglas is one of the most likeable, noble Kubrick characters ever

4.   Spartacus (1960)...  Kinda resembles "The Ten Commandments" but without all that religion. Very good, but it felt long

5.   Dr. Strangelove (1964)...  Peter Sellers' Brit was my favorite.  Overall not as funny as I thought it would be.  Must see again

6.   2001:  A Space Odyssey (1968)...  Amazing.  Silent-but-deadly robot in space PERFECT.  Nothing equal to this

7.   A Clockwork Orange (1971)...  Why can't this be 2001.  Make it stop

8.   Barry Lyndon (1975)... I loved this movie.  Thought it was hilarious.  Was it supposed to be hilarious?  Loved this, every bit

9.   The Shining (1980)...  Hey, that creepy bartender was in 2012!   ;D  Very scary movie without much gore.  Kewl

10.  Full Metal Jacket (1987)... Really good.  Not sure if it was what Vietnam was really like, but fascinating.  Music A++

11.  Eyes Wide Shut (1999)...  Who knew an orgy could be this boring?  Mine aren't.   :D   Get divorced already, Tom & Nic

I'm missing Killer's Kiss, Lolita, A. I., and a few of his short films. 

Wow!  Where did you find the time!  You have a lot of patience my friend!   I need to catch up with half of these, but I'm totally with you on 2001, FMJ and Eyes Wide Shut.   I was a lot higher on Strangelove.  I have no escuse for not seeing The Shining yet.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22761 on: November 21, 2009, 01:14:09 AM »
#276.

The Terminator (James Cameron, 1984) -

Not as great as I remember it. Very 80s and I never loved the 80s. Some of the sound is bad and quite laughable as is the acting at times. But what makes this a classic is the story line and the energy. It wasn't as fast paced and action packed as I remembered, but the action sequences were still great. Still a very good film, just not sure all of it holds up.

Rating: 3/4

To me there is a world of quality difference between T1 and t2.  T1 was pretty lame to me - just one long drawn out chase scene.  T2 was all-time great - and truly groundbreaking effects (I hope history will not forget this!) and it still looks GREAT
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #22762 on: November 21, 2009, 01:20:37 AM »
#276.

Not as great as I remember it. Very 80s and I never loved the 80s. Some of the sound is bad and quite laughable as is the acting at times. But what makes this a classic is the story line and the energy. It wasn't as fast paced and action packed as I remembered, but the action sequences were still great. Still a very good film, just not sure all of it holds up.

To me there is a world of quality difference between T1 and t2.  T1 was pretty lame to me - just one long drawn out chase scene.  T2 was all-time great - and truly groundbreaking effects (I hope history will not forget this!) and it still looks GREAT

yea, watching this definitely makes me want to get back to T2, so classic.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #22763 on: November 21, 2009, 01:25:11 AM »
#276.

yea, watching this definitely makes me want to get back to T2, so classic.

T2 is overrated. It's a very good movie with some insufferable flaws. The dream sequences are awful. It takes too long for the pace to pick up. It's way too long in general. And it completely screws with the time theory established by the first film. It's still an enjoyable film, and it's one of the better sequels out there, but I usually find myself enjoying the first one more.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #22764 on: November 21, 2009, 01:28:04 AM »
T2 is overrated. It's a very good movie with some insufferable flaws. The dream sequences are awful. It takes too long for the pace to pick up. It's way too long in general. And it completely screws with the time theory established by the first film. It's still an enjoyable film, and it's one of the better sequels out there, but I usually find myself enjoying the first one more.

I'm not used to you being this wrong. I may have to rethink my allegiance to the throne.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22765 on: November 21, 2009, 01:29:42 AM »

I'm not used to you being this wrong. I may have to rethink my allegiance to the throne.

Melvil I want to take this moment to again talk about how much I love your avatar :)
(switchboard)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #22766 on: November 21, 2009, 01:30:50 AM »

I may be coming off as more harsh than I mean. But I stand by the premise that I think people ignore some very serious flaws that hold back the entertainment factor of the film. Also, add to it all that Arnie is way less interesting as a fully developed good guy than as a badass emotionless killing machine.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #22767 on: November 21, 2009, 01:31:04 AM »

Melvil I want to take this moment to again talk about how much I love your avatar :)

And let us quickly move on before smirnoff hears of this.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #22768 on: November 21, 2009, 01:36:05 AM »

;D

I hope you have more to say on related topics. I'm dying for your review.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #22769 on: November 21, 2009, 02:21:51 AM »
Saying you liked Thirst is as likely to get you a pat on the back as a smack across your face.  And it's completely random who will ask you to recommend another film and will will question your tastes from here on out.

Chan-wook Park is Great at committing images to celluloid, and here he's as good as he's ever been.  But as a writer, he's become more interested in bizarre set-pieces than a cohesive story with a well-arced plot.  He can pull off anything he chooses to write, I just wish he was a much choosier writer.