love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 4038621 times)

philip918

• Elite Member
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #22770 on: November 21, 2009, 02:47:25 AM »
An Education

Stellar film is let down by lousy ending.  Was really loving this until the last ten minutes.  It's incredibly charming, funny and downright uncomfortable, which is a fine feat to pull off.  The cast is excellent all around, especially Carey Mulligan and Peter Sarsgaard.  Really good stuff overall.

B+

Antichrist

Wow.  One of the most visceral cinematic experiences I've had.  It's gorgeous and terrifying to look at.  The best horror film of the year and one of the best films of the year.  Every scene is imbued with almost unbearable intensity.  It's uncomfortable, unnerving and completely compelling.

A

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #22771 on: November 21, 2009, 02:49:32 AM »
Godzilla - The original Japanese version.  So much better than I thought it would be.  Takashi Shimura, a great score and a scientist with an eyepatch!
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #22772 on: November 21, 2009, 03:23:25 AM »
T2 is overrated. It's a very good movie with some insufferable flaws. The dream sequences are awful. It takes too long for the pace to pick up. It's way too long in general. And it completely screws with the time theory established by the first film. It's still an enjoyable film, and it's one of the better sequels out there, but I usually find myself enjoying the first one more.

I'm not used to you being this wrong. I may have to rethink my allegiance to the throne.

What this guy said, minus the allegiance part, I swear allegiance to know man or hamster.  :)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #22773 on: November 21, 2009, 03:34:17 AM »
V For Vendetta

Lots of fun, good stuff to think about.  I loved it turning the Guy Fawkes Day celebration on its head, and the connection to Count of Monte Cristo (although that was hammered a bit too hard).  Great acting, especially by Portman.  I really loved her as the tough heroine. Good, solid, action fun.  4/5

In America

I just watched it this evening and I laughed, I cried, it moved me, Bob.  And then I said, "good film" and in my mind I was rating it between a 4 and a 5.  Just bouncing it around.  Then I figured I'd play a game for a bit.  As I was doing some mindless Bejeweled, I realized that tears kept creeping in the corners of my eyes, making it difficult to play the game.  That was irritating.  Then I realized that I couldn't stop thinking about the movie.  The two sisters kept reminding me of my girls and how they so openly welcome the homeless and drug addicts into their lives, only to have folks die on them.  I remembered the funeral I went to just last month for a friend who had died of AIDS.  I remembered, years ago, the difficult births I had with two of my children.  I remembered that I, too, couldn't cry until after the difficult birth of my son after which I wept openly.

"Stupid movie", I said aloud, wiping the tears from my eyes again.  My wife is sitting in front of me, and said, "Can't stop thinking about it, huh?"  "Yeah," I reply, "It's the one's that are personal that really hit you."  "Of course," she retorts and goes back to her book.  Meanwhile, I'm still wiping these irritating tears away.  Hate movies like this.  And love them.  I don't think I'll be able to fairly rate it until tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 04:01:09 AM by stevekimes »
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22774 on: November 21, 2009, 03:59:04 AM »
Saying you liked Thirst is as likely to get you a pat on the back as a smack across your face.  And it's completely random who will ask you to recommend another film and will will question your tastes from here on out.

Chan-wook Park is Great at committing images to celluloid, and here he's as good as he's ever been.  But as a writer, he's become more interested in bizarre set-pieces than a cohesive story with a well-arced plot.  He can pull off anything he chooses to write, I just wish he was a much choosier writer.

I mean, maybe my htred of thrist came from expectations, because I was incredibly excited and was expecting a very different movie. So maybe I'll watch it again under cricumstances and see if the grade moves higher. But man, some things I'll never forgive. the characters, the pacing, it's all really badly done.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Steven O. Selsnik

• Elite Member
  • I don't mind a parasite.Iobject to a cut-rate one
« Reply #22775 on: November 21, 2009, 06:44:10 AM »
Joyeux Noel - I had not seen it since the theater in 2005 but after the positive reaction of my dictatee I knew I had to get reacquainted with it. It passed the test again. A movie with a powerful message about the senselessness of war from the trenches point of view and man's compassion for his fellow man. A true story not to be missed.

5/5

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #22776 on: November 21, 2009, 08:47:38 AM »
Saying you liked Thirst is as likely to get you a pat on the back as a smack across your face.  And it's completely random who will ask you to recommend another film and will will question your tastes from here on out.

Chan-wook Park is Great at committing images to celluloid, and here he's as good as he's ever been.  But as a writer, he's become more interested in bizarre set-pieces than a cohesive story with a well-arced plot.  He can pull off anything he chooses to write, I just wish he was a much choosier writer.

I'll be back later to debate this, potentially in the spoiler section?

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #22777 on: November 21, 2009, 09:13:05 AM »
V For Vendetta

Lots of fun, good stuff to think about.  I loved it turning the Guy Fawkes Day celebration on its head, and the connection to Count of Monte Cristo (although that was hammered a bit too hard).  Great acting, especially by Portman.  I really loved her as the tough heroine. Good, solid, action fun.  4/5

Ah, you're a good egg!
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

Marbe

• Elite Member
« Reply #22778 on: November 21, 2009, 09:38:46 AM »
V For Vendetta

Ah, you're a good egg!
Agreed! It wasn't perfect, but it was damn entertaining.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #22779 on: November 21, 2009, 09:50:50 AM »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

love