Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998402 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #22790 on: November 21, 2009, 11:37:01 AM »
There Will Be Blood.

3rd time around. It is a truly amazing film. So many little touches that just make me go wow, including early on where there are people in the scene that are only revealed after several seconds into a shot. The first time we see HW and Plainview as oil men the camera moves in such a perfect way, focusing on one then the other. And, sorry FLY, I don't think the end is a dream sequence. But I do think we have a new level above Asuperplus. This is my favorite film.

Milkshake.

It is a dream sequence, it becomes more and more apparent on each viewing for me, but you are correct about how great it is. Truly the second or third best film ever made.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #22791 on: November 21, 2009, 11:37:56 AM »
If you prove it, I'll consider it. The only difference to me was the lighting. But that can be explained by a difference in technology.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #22792 on: November 21, 2009, 11:49:54 AM »
If you prove it, I'll consider it. The only difference to me was the lighting. But that can be explained by a difference in technology.

I've stated my case, I'll do so again when I get around to watching it again. I just think that cut from DDL sleeping to when he is awoken by Dano's essentially sets up the whole dream sequence. It's a basic technique that brings with it expectations. I need to see it again though before I state anything directly.

Fugee

• Elite Member
« Reply #22793 on: November 21, 2009, 11:53:59 AM »
Black Dynamite - You know I can dig it!  Why I didn't see this sooner, I don't know... it only served to make me want to have a blaxploitation marathon some time in the next week.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #22794 on: November 21, 2009, 11:54:29 AM »
Wish I could see that film  :'(  :'(  :'(

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #22795 on: November 21, 2009, 11:56:57 AM »

I've stated my case, I'll do so again when I get around to watching it again. I just think that cut from DDL sleeping to when he is awoken by Dano's essentially sets up the whole dream sequence. It's a basic technique that brings with it expectations. I need to see it again though before I state anything directly.

I don't recall that cut.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #22796 on: November 21, 2009, 12:00:02 PM »

I don't recall that cut.

I'll have to find my DVD.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22797 on: November 21, 2009, 12:16:46 PM »
You need some Art Appreciation 101, FLY.

More people just need FLY Appreciation 101, we teach the meaninglessness of music without lyrics and paintings without words. We are all about graphic novels, though.
Why do I like you?

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #22798 on: November 21, 2009, 01:31:46 PM »
No Country For Old Men (2007) ****
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress.com/2009/11/21/review-no-country-for-old-men-2007/

Yet another Coen rewatch where what I thought was a pretty great film was elevated to magnificent this time around. I'm still struggling with what to say about the film actually, it all works, and in so many ways, but it's hard to put into words why it all works. The acting is brilliant, as great as Bardem is I actually found myself liking Brolin's performance more this time around, and the film is gorgeous from beginning to end, not just in terms of visuals but in its structure as well. I can't say enough about this film, but it's still only the second best film of 2007, falling just shy of Eastern Promises.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #22799 on: November 21, 2009, 01:54:25 PM »
You need some Art Appreciation 101, FLY.

More people just need FLY Appreciation 101, we teach the meaninglessness of music without lyrics and paintings without words. We are all about graphic novels, though.
Why do I like you?

You are the man.

love