Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997374 times)

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #22800 on: November 21, 2009, 02:05:34 PM »
Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen (Michael Bay, 2009)

Wow, and I thought Clovis was exaggerating.

Adventureland (Greg Mottola, 2009)

Much better than the trailer made it look. It's best when it's not trying to be funny, although there are a few good laughs to be had. A few character problems throughout, and I didn't really dig the ending, but an enjoyable movie.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22801 on: November 21, 2009, 02:18:48 PM »
Flick Chart Nights 4
The Dead Poet's Society
Dir. Peter Weir
DoP John Seale

Last night I showed this for our fourth Flick Chart Night, my roommate Cam hadn't seen it.  Its my #7 All-Time Favorite.  And this is exactly what a favorite film should be.  This is yet another example of how wonderfully I am affected by film.  When it was over I wanted to run out of the house and all the way across country, instead I went to a bar in Venice Beach and heard one of the most incredible, strike that, the most incredible bar band I've seen.  They were great, and essentially plaid my Punk/Post Punk Ipod Playlist for their set list.  Anyway, back to the film,
Williams delivers such a triumphant performance which helps the film earn its saccharine but incredible ending.  When Ethan Hawk mounts his desk and utters those amazing words, forever shattering his self doubt and fear, leading those boys into manhood I get all teary eye'd, and its not dusty, its just packed with so much raw adolescent emotion.  I'm 27 and I still remember exactly what it was like to be told to my opinions were worthless until I earned them via some degree.  I remember putting my fist through my father's office door when I couldn't articulate my self with him, which was because for a large part of my life, my father nurtured the notion of giving my brother and I the room to be free thinkers, except for when it infringed on him, so he could spout off anything he wanted and tell us to think what we wanted, until he disagreed or we disobeyed his largely archaic code of parenting.  He and Neil's father would have gotten along really well there for a few years.  Then, when I started applying to college, it all changed, no longer was my father a tyrant, something had happened, and we began to see eye to eye.  But man, did we have some epic father/son battles.  They make Lord of the Rings seem like child's play.  And this film so perfectly captures all of this, and bottles it like an elixir.  I want to ramble on and on, but I've already left the point in the dust.  Basically its one of the greatest films ever made, and I have Peter Weir to thank for it.  I still think he should have directed the Harry Potter films.

Grade A+   
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #22802 on: November 21, 2009, 02:19:57 PM »

Encounters of the Spooky Kind Sammo Hung, 1980

Sammo's wife is cheating on him with his boss. His boss gets tired of having him around, plots his murder and gets a wizard to do it. All of this is an excuse to have Sammo duke it out against a corpse (twice? thrice?), get his hand possessed, and other shenanigans. He meets another wizard dude who starts helping him and things become better for a while but then shit goes down, including an incredible wizard showdown that has Sammo getting possessed by a monkey spirit(?) and all of this to prove that Sammo is the shit. What I didn't expect was the brutality of the ending. Seriously. What I thought would be a lark ends on a completely vengeful note and it was completely ridiculous in a way but, hey, what not? I really enjoyed the setpieces in the temple the first couple of times. They were done really well, and I particularly loved that mime one (I lol'd), but the best part of the movie might be when he's surrounded by those four guards and Sammo uses that one stool to get away. That's just genius. That said, it does get kind of draggy and there's not much momentum or whatever, and that ending is kinda ridiculously... something. Who knows.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 02:23:26 PM by roujin »

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #22803 on: November 21, 2009, 02:59:24 PM »
Let the Right One In

I refer you to the spoiler thread.

Not sure/5
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22804 on: November 21, 2009, 03:12:04 PM »
Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen (Michael Bay, 2009)

Wow, and I thought Clovis was exaggerating.

HAHA, sadly no hyperbole on this one. It's the worst movie I have ever seen hands down.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #22805 on: November 21, 2009, 03:41:37 PM »

Haven't seen that one.  If I could offer a little guidance as to what films to check out, let me know.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
« Reply #22806 on: November 21, 2009, 03:44:48 PM »
Flick Chart Nights 4
The Dead Poet's Society
Dir. Peter Weir
DoP John Seale

Last night I showed this for our fourth Flick Chart Night, my roommate Cam hadn't seen it.  Its my #7 All-Time Favorite.  And this is exactly what a favorite film should be.  This is yet another example of how wonderfully I am affected by film.  When it was over I wanted to run out of the house and all the way across country, instead I went to a bar in Venice Beach and heard one of the most incredible, strike that, the most incredible bar band I've seen.  They were great, and essentially plaid my Punk/Post Punk Ipod Playlist for their set list.  Anyway, back to the film,
Williams delivers such a triumphant performance which helps the film earn its saccharine but incredible ending.  When Ethan Hawk mounts his desk and utters those amazing words, forever shattering his self doubt and fear, leading those boys into manhood I get all teary eye'd, and its not dusty, its just packed with so much raw adolescent emotion.  I'm 27 and I still remember exactly what it was like to be told to my opinions were worthless until I earned them via some degree.  I remember putting my fist through my father's office door when I couldn't articulate my self with him, which was because for a large part of my life, my father nurtured the notion of giving my brother and I the room to be free thinkers, except for when it infringed on him, so he could spout off anything he wanted and tell us to think what we wanted, until he disagreed or we disobeyed his largely archaic code of parenting.  He and Neil's father would have gotten along really well there for a few years.  Then, when I started applying to college, it all changed, no longer was my father a tyrant, something had happened, and we began to see eye to eye.  But man, did we have some epic father/son battles.  They make Lord of the Rings seem like child's play.  And this film so perfectly captures all of this, and bottles it like an elixir.  I want to ramble on and on, but I've already left the point in the dust.  Basically its one of the greatest films ever made, and I have Peter Weir to thank for it.  I still think he should have directed the Harry Potter films.

Grade A+   

Great review.  It is a beautiful movie that holds up over time.  Glad to hear that you and your dad got through your differences eventually!  I fought with my dad sometimes, too.  Okayyeahwefoughtalotbutitwasallhisfault.  ;D 

Freely associating with some things you wrote now:  Did you know that Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman were Peter Jackson's first choice to play Faramir and Eowyn?  Someone mentioned it on one of the commentary tracks somewhere.
The answers you seek are in Norway.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #22807 on: November 21, 2009, 04:06:53 PM »

Haven't seen that one.  If I could offer a little guidance as to what films to check out, let me know.

I'll be checking out Sammo's Wheels on Meals next. But, yeah, sure. Recs are always welcome :)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #22808 on: November 21, 2009, 04:22:03 PM »
Recs are always welcome :)

How about Kung Fu Cult Master versus some other bracket film?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #22809 on: November 21, 2009, 04:35:13 PM »

Haven't seen that one.  If I could offer a little guidance as to what films to check out, let me know.

I'll be checking out Sammo's Wheels on Meals next. But, yeah, sure. Recs are always welcome :)

I like these (in no particular order): Warriors Two and Prodigal Son (well known for the Wing Chun style), Project A, Knockabout.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May