Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 3722407 times)

Steven O. Selsnik

• Elite Member
  • I don't mind a parasite.Iobject to a cut-rate one
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #22750 on: November 21, 2009, 10:28:37 PM »
2012 - Hated it. The movie had too many predictable famous destructo moments. The straw that broke the camel's back for me was when the Sistene Chapel was destroyed an you see the crack in the ceiling right between the fingers of Adam and God. Also, it would have been better if Cusack had died at the end.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #22751 on: November 21, 2009, 10:33:57 PM »
Rear Window

Perfection. So tense and just masterfully done. Top 10 material. In fact, with my recent mini-marathon I'm afraid Hitchcock is taking over my top 10! How cliche is it that he is now my favorite director?

Grade: A+
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
« Reply #22752 on: November 21, 2009, 10:46:57 PM »
2012 - Hated it. The movie had too many predictable famous destructo moments. The straw that broke the camel's back for me was when the Sistene Chapel was destroyed an you see the crack in the ceiling right between the fingers of Adam and God. Also, it would have been better if Cusack had died at the end.

Hey!  Post this over on the spoilers thread?  The more the merrier. 

I agree about Cusack.  I have my reasons.   :D
The answers you seek are in Norway.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #22753 on: November 21, 2009, 10:58:18 PM »
La Vie en Rose

This wonderful film doesn't get a fair go. It is heavy-handed but always with good reason and with nonlinear storytelling the lighter moments are injected just at the right times when it all becomes a bit too much. I have no problem with a film trying to pull heart strings when there is a legitimate reason and La Vie en Rose gets the balance of melodrama and genuine sentiment just right. The music is gorgeous, swelling with purpose as the 'Little Sparrow' soars. Marion Cotillard's powerhouse performance grows on me with each viewing and is one of my favourite of the decade. 9/10.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
« Reply #22754 on: November 21, 2009, 11:02:43 PM »
Rear Window

Perfection. So tense and just masterfully done. Top 10 material. In fact, with my recent mini-marathon I'm afraid Hitchcock is taking over my top 10! How cliche is it that he is now my favorite director?

Sounds like I've got me some Hitchcock to watch!  Is this your favorite so far?  I am ashamed to say that I haven't watched any Hitchcock this year. (Or ever.)   
The answers you seek are in Norway.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #22755 on: November 21, 2009, 11:06:23 PM »
Rear Window

Sounds like I've got me some Hitchcock to watch!  Is this your favorite so far?  I am ashamed to say that I haven't watched any Hitchcock this year. (Or ever.)   

I see Psycho as a literally perfect movie, and it is my number 4 or 5 of all time. Rear Window is the first one to rival that. It's really a game changer, for me at least.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #22756 on: November 21, 2009, 11:30:27 PM »
Rear Window

So glad you loved it!!

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #22757 on: November 21, 2009, 11:54:44 PM »
Rear Window

You should work on that. I think Hitchcock has actually made the greatest number of films I have in my top 100. Check out Rear Window, Vertigo, North by Northwest, Psycho, Notorious, Rope, Strangers on a Train and Rebecca

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #22758 on: November 21, 2009, 11:56:14 PM »
Hard Ticket to Hawaii (Andy Sidaris, 1987) -

Hardly qualifies as a movie, but boy was it fun to laugh at with a group of friends and cookie dough eggrolls, cheesecake cupcakes, and some of the most delicious awful food you can find.

Rating: 0

But seriously, if you want a good time, rent this and just laugh all day long at how ridiculous it is.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Stay gold.
« Reply #22759 on: November 22, 2009, 12:10:43 AM »
Heat
4.9/5

"A man got to have a code." -Omar Little

Hasn't lost its effect on me.  This is at least my fifth viewing.  I nearly love everything about it (oh, Al; so close to a perfect film, Michael).  Shoot, I don't even know what to write.  You the man, Dante.

The Insider 
4.9/5

"I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase."  -Omar Little

My first revisit, and I had forgotten how much I dug this film.  This should have been in my Top 100.  Pacino is excellent.  To all the Pacino haters saying all he did in the last twenty years is over the top performances, see this and Donnie Brasco.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May