Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997623 times)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #22830 on: November 21, 2009, 11:30:27 PM »
Rear Window

Perfection. So tense and just masterfully done. Top 10 material. In fact, with my recent mini-marathon I'm afraid Hitchcock is taking over my top 10! How cliche is it that he is now my favorite director?

Grade: A+
So glad you loved it!!

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22831 on: November 21, 2009, 11:54:44 PM »
Rear Window

Perfection. So tense and just masterfully done. Top 10 material. In fact, with my recent mini-marathon I'm afraid Hitchcock is taking over my top 10! How cliche is it that he is now my favorite director?

Grade: A+

Sounds like I've got me some Hitchcock to watch!  Is this your favorite so far?  I am ashamed to say that I haven't watched any Hitchcock this year. (Or ever.)   
You should work on that. I think Hitchcock has actually made the greatest number of films I have in my top 100. Check out Rear Window, Vertigo, North by Northwest, Psycho, Notorious, Rope, Strangers on a Train and Rebecca

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #22832 on: November 21, 2009, 11:56:14 PM »
Hard Ticket to Hawaii (Andy Sidaris, 1987) -

Hardly qualifies as a movie, but boy was it fun to laugh at with a group of friends and cookie dough eggrolls, cheesecake cupcakes, and some of the most delicious awful food you can find.

Rating: 0

But seriously, if you want a good time, rent this and just laugh all day long at how ridiculous it is.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #22833 on: November 22, 2009, 12:10:43 AM »
Heat
4.9/5

"A man got to have a code." -Omar Little

Hasn't lost its effect on me.  This is at least my fifth viewing.  I nearly love everything about it (oh, Al; so close to a perfect film, Michael).  Shoot, I don't even know what to write.  You the man, Dante.

The Insider 
4.9/5

"I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase."  -Omar Little

My first revisit, and I had forgotten how much I dug this film.  This should have been in my Top 100.  Pacino is excellent.  To all the Pacino haters saying all he did in the last twenty years is over the top performances, see this and Donnie Brasco.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #22834 on: November 22, 2009, 12:13:38 AM »
To all the Pacino haters saying all he did in the last twenty years is over the top performances, see this and Donnie Brasco.

And Carlito's Way!

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #22835 on: November 22, 2009, 12:41:53 AM »
Catching up with another belated review

Peeping Tom 8.5/10

There are hundreds of pages that could (and have, I'm sure) been written about the film's take on voyeurism and the audience's role/complicity in everything that happens but I'm not going to get into all that.  This is an excellent suspense film.  I love Powell's visual style (why the hell has it taken me so long to watch more?) and it really helped suck me into Mark's tale of obsession, especially certain POV shots.  My favorite scene is when Moira Shearer sneaks on the movie set so Mark can film her (her dancing around of course instantly brought to mind her performance in The Red Shoes.  The scene feels so light but quickly the dread begins to creep in and the whole thing is just masterfully handled.  For me, Mark (Karl Boehm) isn't quite on the level of a Norman Bates, but I found him to be effectively creepy.  Anna Massey delivers a solid performance as the downstairs possible love interest.  The only device that didn't quite work for me was her blind mother, but a climactic scene between her and Mark was better than I was expecting.  Definitely a film I will consider when making my next top 100 list.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #22836 on: November 22, 2009, 12:59:35 AM »
. . . .Hitchcock is taking over my top 10! How cliche is it that he is now my favorite director?

It's not a cliche at all.  That Hitchcock's greatness is just one of the basic facts of the universe that everyone who knows anything agrees on.  Like Beethoven or Babe Ruth.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

flieger

« Reply #22837 on: November 22, 2009, 01:10:45 AM »
. . . .Hitchcock is taking over my top 10! How cliche is it that he is now my favorite director?

It's not a cliche at all.  That Hitchcock's greatness is just one of the basic facts of the universe that everyone who knows anything agrees on.  Like Beethoven or Babe Ruth Don Bradman.
  ;)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #22838 on: November 22, 2009, 01:13:53 AM »
The Golden Compass.

This should have been great. Parts of it are. Other parts are just ok. And others are clunky, including most of the CGI that has to interact with people. But Ian McKellen AS A POLAR BEAR WITH ARMOR!!!! and Ian McShane AS ANOTHER POLAR BEAR WITH ARMOR!!!! THAT FIGHT!!!! is awesome. Also, Sam Elliot. But it ended at the worst place.

C+.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

flieger

« Reply #22839 on: November 22, 2009, 01:17:27 AM »
The Golden Compass.

This should have been great. Parts of it are. Other parts are just ok. And others are clunky, including most of the CGI that has to interact with people. But Ian McKellen AS A POLAR BEAR WITH ARMOR!!!! and Ian McShane AS ANOTHER POLAR BEAR WITH ARMOR!!!! THAT FIGHT!!!! is awesome. Also, Sam Elliot. But it ended at the worst place.

C+.
Yeah, it's a pity. Definitely one where the book outpaces the film by many, many, many parsecs.

love