love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5995974 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #22840 on: November 22, 2009, 01:25:27 AM »
I do applaud the filmmakers for keeping the POLAR BEAR FIGHT SCENE intact. Because it was awesome in the book and awesome on film.

And I also like the changes to the second act to make Lyra more of a pro-active character rather than being caught/ambushed twice. And some of the changes for time worked for me, too. Also, Kidman made for a great Coulter.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 01:56:19 AM by Junior »
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #22841 on: November 22, 2009, 02:41:22 AM »
All I could hear was Gandalf.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Fugee

• Elite Member
« Reply #22842 on: November 22, 2009, 04:23:39 AM »
Coco Before Chanel - It's too bad the movie was about Coco and not Chanel (just as the title tells us) because I found myself more interested in the transformation into this powerhouse fashion designer. Oh well, still enjoyable and some really great cinematography.

Funny People - Was pretty amusing, and I enjoyed the serious bits but it wasn't anything... outstanding. Oh well.

Rear Window

Perfection. So tense and just masterfully done. Top 10 material. In fact, with my recent mini-marathon I'm afraid Hitchcock is taking over my top 10! How cliche is it that he is now my favorite director?

Grade: A+
Hollywood and Blockbuster didn't have this tonight. So sad :(

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #22843 on: November 22, 2009, 05:59:28 AM »
Whatever Works

This should have been a movie I liked, but...  Whatever....

« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 06:00:59 AM by jdc115 »
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22844 on: November 22, 2009, 07:42:32 AM »
Sounds like I've got me some Hitchcock to watch!  Is this your favorite so far?  I am ashamed to say that I haven't watched any Hitchcock this year. (Or ever.)   

:o 

Go watch Psycho, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Vertigo, Shadow of a Doubt, Strangers on a Train, The Birds, The 39 Steps and then maybe Rope, The Lady Vanishes and Frenzy and report back to me, young manlady!

I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #22845 on: November 22, 2009, 07:43:18 AM »
Bullit

First time to see it, picked it up when it was on sale and glad i did. It was worth it just for the car chase.  The first Steve McQueen movie i think I have seen, maybe I saw the Towering Inferno on TV when I was young.  I will try to find some others to see.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 07:52:21 AM by jdc115 »
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #22846 on: November 22, 2009, 08:55:59 AM »
The Insider 
4.9/5

"I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase."  -Omar Little

My first revisit, and I had forgotten how much I dug this film.  This should have been in my Top 100.  Pacino is excellent.  To all the Pacino haters saying all he did in the last twenty years is over the top performances, see this and Donnie Brasco.

Awesome :)

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #22847 on: November 22, 2009, 09:31:30 AM »
Knife in the Water

A great story of pride, stubborness and one-upsmanship. Fantastic ending. Polanski is cooking with gas! 8/10.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #22848 on: November 22, 2009, 10:18:47 AM »

The Prodigal Son Sammo Hung, 1981

The movie's probably better before Sammo appears but he does get a few moments himself to shine. That calligraphy-fu and toilet-fu stuff is hilarious. But, this is really Yuen Biao's show and all his cockiness at the beginning really pays off at the final fight when both Wing Chun approaches coalesce into a single expression of badass. While I've been trying to pay attention to the direction in these films, I always get lost in the fights themselves and the balletics and the movement inherent in them and not how the editing/direction/etc are working in tandem with them, so, yeah, I'm useless. I just know that Chinese Opera seems really awesome and I should probably watch Peking Opera Blues pretty soon, otherwise I'll die a terrible death while making mashed potatoes. Or not.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 10:22:16 AM by roujin »

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #22849 on: November 22, 2009, 10:26:56 AM »
Rear Window

Perfection. So tense and just masterfully done. Top 10 material. In fact, with my recent mini-marathon I'm afraid Hitchcock is taking over my top 10! How cliche is it that he is now my favorite director?

Grade: A+
So glad you loved it!!

Understatement of the year.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd