love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998064 times)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #22850 on: November 22, 2009, 11:00:36 AM »
Hard Ticket to Hawaii (Andy Sidaris, 1987) -

Hardly qualifies as a movie, but boy was it fun to laugh at with a group of friends and cookie dough eggrolls, cheesecake cupcakes, and some of the most delicious awful food you can find.

Rating: 0

But seriously, if you want a good time, rent this and just laugh all day long at how ridiculous it is.

Full Review...because it had to be done, and it must be read by all.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22851 on: November 22, 2009, 11:04:42 AM »
Rear Window

Perfection. So tense and just masterfully done. Top 10 material. In fact, with my recent mini-marathon I'm afraid Hitchcock is taking over my top 10! How cliche is it that he is now my favorite director?

Grade: A+
So glad you loved it!!

Understatement of the year.

For me, it's the best Hitchcock by a wide margin.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #22852 on: November 22, 2009, 11:27:15 AM »
The Insider 
4.9/5

"I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase."  -Omar Little

My first revisit, and I had forgotten how much I dug this film.  This should have been in my Top 100.  Pacino is excellent.  To all the Pacino haters saying all he did in the last twenty years is over the top performances, see this and Donnie Brasco.

Awesome :)

And if there was any confusion about whether or not Russel Crow could act - just replay the restaurant scene. 

This is a strangely complelling movie.  It could easily have been as boring and mundane as Flash of Genius
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #22853 on: November 22, 2009, 11:49:36 AM »
The Insider 
4.9/5

"I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase."  -Omar Little

My first revisit, and I had forgotten how much I dug this film.  This should have been in my Top 100.  Pacino is excellent.  To all the Pacino haters saying all he did in the last twenty years is over the top performances, see this and Donnie Brasco.

Awesome :)

And if there was any confusion about whether or not Russel Crow could act - just replay the restaurant scene. 

This is a strangely complelling movie.  It could easily have been as boring and mundane as Flash of Genius

yeah, i just caught this for the first time a couple of weeks ago and was blown away by how perfect it is. Pacino is perfect.  Crowe is perfect.  Brilliant direction and cinematography.  solid script.  AND the great story
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #22854 on: November 22, 2009, 12:08:53 PM »
Full Review...because it had to be done, and it must be read by all.
When I worked in a video store I was challenged to watch all the Andy Sidaris we had on the shelves.  I didn't win that one, and I saw quite a few so I was a loser both ways.  (And don't ask me which ones I've seen because they all blend together.)
He is his own industry, and wants to be Russ Meyer so badly.  But his films show what an artist Meyer really was.

You know you're watching an Andy Sidaris film when the director never forgets to film a scene where the girls change their wardrobe.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #22855 on: November 22, 2009, 12:21:09 PM »
The Limey (1999) ***1/2
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress.com/2009/11/22/review-the-limey-1999/

As a straight revenge tale The Limey is pretty good, but two things push it over the top. First you have the acting of Terence Stamp, he's given a character with very little meat behind him, yet Stamp adds true depth to the character. Second there is the direction of Soderbergh, I loved everything he did in The Limey. The way he played with time, with intros, with perspective, with the fourth wall and so on.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 12:24:29 PM by Gobble Gobble »

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #22856 on: November 22, 2009, 12:23:38 PM »
Yum!  :)
A$AP Fables

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22857 on: November 22, 2009, 12:27:24 PM »
LA Confidential
Dir.  Curtis Hanson

One of my favorite crime flicks, this is aging really well.  Watched it withmy production team last night.  The performances across the board are great, though Bassinger really didn't deserve that Oscar.  Russell Crowe is awesome, and this was the first film I ever saw him in.  Its weird to think, I've probably seen 20 movies with him now.  (Just counted, I've seen 17 Crowe flicks)  And this is also one of my favorite Spacey performances and one of the few I can watch and forget I'm watching Kevin Spacey.  This should have won Best Picture in '97.

Grade A
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #22858 on: November 22, 2009, 12:34:22 PM »
The above post is absolutely correct, no matter what the next post about this subject is certain to contradict.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 12:36:28 PM by 1SO »

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #22859 on: November 22, 2009, 12:42:47 PM »
LA Confidential
Dir.  Curtis Hanson

One of my favorite crime flicks, this is aging really well.  Watched it withmy production team last night.  The performances across the board are great, though Bassinger really didn't deserve that Oscar.  Russell Crowe is awesome, and this was the first film I ever saw him in.  Its weird to think, I've probably seen 20 movies with him now.  (Just counted, I've seen 17 Crowe flicks)  And this is also one of my favorite Spacey performances and one of the few I can watch and forget I'm watching Kevin Spacey.  This should have won Best Picture in '97.

Grade A

Yeah and Guy Pearce also firing on all cylinders. When he hears Dudley say "Rollo Tomasi" is so so good.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

love