Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996482 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #22860 on: November 22, 2009, 01:45:38 PM »
LA Confidential
Dir.  Curtis Hanson

One of my favorite crime flicks, this is aging really well.  Watched it withmy production team last night.  The performances across the board are great, though Bassinger really didn't deserve that Oscar.  Russell Crowe is awesome, and this was the first film I ever saw him in.  Its weird to think, I've probably seen 20 movies with him now.  (Just counted, I've seen 17 Crowe flicks)  And this is also one of my favorite Spacey performances and one of the few I can watch and forget I'm watching Kevin Spacey.  This should have won Best Picture in '97.

Grade A

A tough one for me.  I remember really digging it coming of the theater, but upon catching bits and pieces of it here and there on TV it has completely failed to draw me in.  Probably an unfair way to judge it - some movies you have to be eased into their universe...  Just not feeling any desire to.  Maybe your review will open my mind to the possibility.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22861 on: November 22, 2009, 01:56:40 PM »
Day Watch
Dir. Timur Bekmambetov

I liked Night Watch, not loved, liked.  This is terrible.  Mind Numbing.  The best thing I can say about it is that the subtitles were really cool.  Yep.

Grade F
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #22862 on: November 22, 2009, 01:57:08 PM »
Day Watch
Dir. Timur Bekmambetov

I liked Night Watch, not loved, liked.  This is terrible.  Mind Numbing.  The best thing I can say about it is that the subtitles were really cool.  Yep.

Grade F

This man I can agree with.  :)

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #22863 on: November 22, 2009, 01:58:13 PM »

That was my favorite moment in the film.  I laughed hard.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22864 on: November 22, 2009, 02:02:40 PM »
The Ugly Truth (2009, whothehellcares)

With this as the movie poster, you know you're in for two hours of subtle commentary on the condition of gender relations.

GRADE: D-
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22865 on: November 22, 2009, 02:05:05 PM »
Day Watch
Dir. Timur Bekmambetov

Grade F
Awesome. I'm gonna love all of you guys reaction when I put that film in my top 100 next year.

You only wish I was joking.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #22866 on: November 22, 2009, 02:06:38 PM »
LA Confidential
Dir.  Curtis Hanson

One of my favorite crime flicks, this is aging really well.  Watched it withmy production team last night.  The performances across the board are great, though Bassinger really didn't deserve that Oscar.  Russell Crowe is awesome, and this was the first film I ever saw him in.  Its weird to think, I've probably seen 20 movies with him now.  (Just counted, I've seen 17 Crowe flicks)  And this is also one of my favorite Spacey performances and one of the few I can watch and forget I'm watching Kevin Spacey.  This should have won Best Picture in '97.

Grade A

A tough one for me.  I remember really digging it coming of the theater, but upon catching bits and pieces of it here and there on TV it has completely failed to draw me in.  Probably an unfair way to judge it - some movies you have to be eased into their universe...  Just not feeling any desire to.  Maybe your review will open my mind to the possibility.

You're not wrong, ferris. It's a poor film. I wrote about it a while ago when I was one of three to set it down in the 90's bracket.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #22867 on: November 22, 2009, 02:07:20 PM »
And if there was any confusion about whether or not Russel Crow could act - just replay the restaurant scene.

Wow, L.A. Confidential wasn't enough for some people?

The Insider 
4.9/5

"I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase."  -Omar Little

My first revisit, and I had forgotten how much I dug this film.  This should have been in my Top 100.  Pacino is excellent.  To all the Pacino haters saying all he did in the last twenty years is over the top performances, see this and Donnie Brasco.

yeah, i just caught this for the first time a couple of weeks ago and was blown away by how perfect it is. Pacino is perfect.  Crowe is perfect.  Brilliant direction and cinematography.  solid script.  AND the great story

!!!  Seeing your comment about it in the 1999 thread made me revisit it.

It's a extraordinary film, of such high quality that I can only nitpick to find anything I didn't like.  And, yes, the story, the story.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22868 on: November 22, 2009, 02:07:58 PM »
LA Confidential
Dir.  Curtis Hanson

Grade A

You're not wrong, ferris. It's a poor film. I wrote about it a while ago when I was one of three to set it down in the 90's bracket.

Three people kicked it to the curb?  I wasn't here yet for that.  So it got resurrected twice?
(switchboard)

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #22869 on: November 22, 2009, 02:18:39 PM »

That was my favorite moment in the film.  I laughed hard.

Yeah, that part was funny. Sammo really wasn't in it enough, but that part was great. Sadly, my favorite part may have been when Yuen Biao punched the girl in the face. I'm a man of simple pleasures.