Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 3694317 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #22790 on: November 22, 2009, 02:06:38 PM »
LA Confidential
Dir.  Curtis Hanson

One of my favorite crime flicks, this is aging really well.  Watched it withmy production team last night.  The performances across the board are great, though Bassinger really didn't deserve that Oscar.  Russell Crowe is awesome, and this was the first film I ever saw him in.  Its weird to think, I've probably seen 20 movies with him now.  (Just counted, I've seen 17 Crowe flicks)  And this is also one of my favorite Spacey performances and one of the few I can watch and forget I'm watching Kevin Spacey.  This should have won Best Picture in '97.

Grade A

A tough one for me.  I remember really digging it coming of the theater, but upon catching bits and pieces of it here and there on TV it has completely failed to draw me in.  Probably an unfair way to judge it - some movies you have to be eased into their universe...  Just not feeling any desire to.  Maybe your review will open my mind to the possibility.

You're not wrong, ferris. It's a poor film. I wrote about it a while ago when I was one of three to set it down in the 90's bracket.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Stay gold.
« Reply #22791 on: November 22, 2009, 02:07:20 PM »
And if there was any confusion about whether or not Russel Crow could act - just replay the restaurant scene.

Wow, L.A. Confidential wasn't enough for some people?

The Insider 
4.9/5

"I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase."  -Omar Little

My first revisit, and I had forgotten how much I dug this film.  This should have been in my Top 100.  Pacino is excellent.  To all the Pacino haters saying all he did in the last twenty years is over the top performances, see this and Donnie Brasco.

yeah, i just caught this for the first time a couple of weeks ago and was blown away by how perfect it is. Pacino is perfect.  Crowe is perfect.  Brilliant direction and cinematography.  solid script.  AND the great story

!!!  Seeing your comment about it in the 1999 thread made me revisit it.

It's a extraordinary film, of such high quality that I can only nitpick to find anything I didn't like.  And, yes, the story, the story.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #22792 on: November 22, 2009, 02:07:58 PM »
LA Confidential
Dir.  Curtis Hanson

One of my favorite crime flicks, this is aging really well.  Watched it withmy production team last night.  The performances across the board are great, though Bassinger really didn't deserve that Oscar.  Russell Crowe is awesome, and this was the first film I ever saw him in.  Its weird to think, I've probably seen 20 movies with him now.  (Just counted, I've seen 17 Crowe flicks)  And this is also one of my favorite Spacey performances and one of the few I can watch and forget I'm watching Kevin Spacey.  This should have won Best Picture in '97.

Grade A

A tough one for me.  I remember really digging it coming of the theater, but upon catching bits and pieces of it here and there on TV it has completely failed to draw me in.  Probably an unfair way to judge it - some movies you have to be eased into their universe...  Just not feeling any desire to.  Maybe your review will open my mind to the possibility.

You're not wrong, ferris. It's a poor film. I wrote about it a while ago when I was one of three to set it down in the 90's bracket.

Three people kicked it to the curb?  I wasn't here yet for that.  So it got resurrected twice?
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #22793 on: November 22, 2009, 02:18:39 PM »

That was my favorite moment in the film.  I laughed hard.

Yeah, that part was funny. Sammo really wasn't in it enough, but that part was great. Sadly, my favorite part may have been when Yuen Biao punched the girl in the face. I'm a man of simple pleasures.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #22794 on: November 22, 2009, 02:19:06 PM »
Three people kicked it to the curb?  I wasn't here yet for that.  So it got resurrected twice?

It made it to the fourth round where matchups were decided by three people teams. It lost to The Thin Red Line.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #22795 on: November 22, 2009, 02:28:03 PM »

Hallelujah I'm A Bum Lewis Milestone, 1933

When I watched some of The Jazz Singer, I remember saying to myself that Al Jolson was a pretty good performer and that the blackface just distracted/took away from his charmingness. Well, this proves it. Jolson plays the mayor of central park, a bum who relishes his freedom to just do whatever he wants and hang out with his hobo buddies at the park. He's also friends with the real mayor and talks with him all friendly and stuff, but then he falls in love. Those ethereal moments when Jolson pulls the girl out of the water are fantastic, as are the workingman moments as he goes up the fire escape. The rhyming dialogue thing didn't work for me for some reason, maybe cuz the score and the songs weren't that memorable for me (except that "you're too beautiful" one or whatever) but the performances and the direction were pretty good and the quiet resignation at the end hit a grace note which more things should hit, in this life or another.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 02:30:03 PM by roujin »

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22796 on: November 22, 2009, 03:10:01 PM »
Ink

This film was made for next to nothing, and it shows.  Though, the fight scenes and stunt work are very impressive for a production this minuscule.  That said, this is another example of how Script will always trump production values, and this script is awful.  I'm not going to give this an 'F' because it did a lot with so little, but I cannot in good conscience give this a pass.  How this film developed such a rabid fan base on the festival circuit is beyond me. 

This is also yet another example of how awful HDV can look.  I hate HDV, hate it.  I'd rather shoot SD than this.  Thankfully fully HD cameras are becoming cheaper and cheaper allowing for affordable, high quality imagery.  Hopefully HDV will become a thing of the past soon.

Grade D- 
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #22797 on: November 22, 2009, 03:11:32 PM »

It made it to the fourth round where matchups were decided by three people teams. It lost to The Thin Red Line.

ahh...and ya know that sounds about right.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

sdedalus

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #22798 on: November 22, 2009, 05:14:18 PM »

Hallelujah I'm A Bum Lewis Milestone, 1933

I got this on the tivo.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #22799 on: November 22, 2009, 05:28:48 PM »
It's well worth your time, although Love Me Tonight is something that you should see first :)