Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996116 times)

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #22870 on: November 22, 2009, 02:19:06 PM »
Three people kicked it to the curb?  I wasn't here yet for that.  So it got resurrected twice?

It made it to the fourth round where matchups were decided by three people teams. It lost to The Thin Red Line.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #22871 on: November 22, 2009, 02:28:03 PM »

Hallelujah I'm A Bum Lewis Milestone, 1933

When I watched some of The Jazz Singer, I remember saying to myself that Al Jolson was a pretty good performer and that the blackface just distracted/took away from his charmingness. Well, this proves it. Jolson plays the mayor of central park, a bum who relishes his freedom to just do whatever he wants and hang out with his hobo buddies at the park. He's also friends with the real mayor and talks with him all friendly and stuff, but then he falls in love. Those ethereal moments when Jolson pulls the girl out of the water are fantastic, as are the workingman moments as he goes up the fire escape. The rhyming dialogue thing didn't work for me for some reason, maybe cuz the score and the songs weren't that memorable for me (except that "you're too beautiful" one or whatever) but the performances and the direction were pretty good and the quiet resignation at the end hit a grace note which more things should hit, in this life or another.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 02:30:03 PM by roujin »

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22872 on: November 22, 2009, 03:10:01 PM »
Ink

This film was made for next to nothing, and it shows.  Though, the fight scenes and stunt work are very impressive for a production this minuscule.  That said, this is another example of how Script will always trump production values, and this script is awful.  I'm not going to give this an 'F' because it did a lot with so little, but I cannot in good conscience give this a pass.  How this film developed such a rabid fan base on the festival circuit is beyond me. 

This is also yet another example of how awful HDV can look.  I hate HDV, hate it.  I'd rather shoot SD than this.  Thankfully fully HD cameras are becoming cheaper and cheaper allowing for affordable, high quality imagery.  Hopefully HDV will become a thing of the past soon.

Grade D- 
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #22873 on: November 22, 2009, 03:11:32 PM »
Three people kicked it to the curb?  I wasn't here yet for that.  So it got resurrected twice?

It made it to the fourth round where matchups were decided by three people teams. It lost to The Thin Red Line.

ahh...and ya know that sounds about right.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #22874 on: November 22, 2009, 05:14:18 PM »

Hallelujah I'm A Bum Lewis Milestone, 1933

I got this on the tivo.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #22875 on: November 22, 2009, 05:28:48 PM »
It's well worth your time, although Love Me Tonight is something that you should see first :)

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22876 on: November 22, 2009, 05:36:33 PM »
Carlito's Way
Dir. Brian De Palma

Parts of this are pretty good, but its too long and too uninteresting to be as good as I've heard it was.  Other than Pacino's wardrobe and some of his performance its not a film I particularly care for.  The foot chase through Grand Central is great until the gun play starts, then its just generic Hollywood action which deflates a really well staged set piece.

Grade B-
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #22877 on: November 22, 2009, 06:43:56 PM »

Project A Jackie Chan, 1983

Jackie Chan plays a coast guard dude who doesn't like cops. Anyway, there's a big fight against the cops, one of whom is Yuen Biao, and there's some stuff about the coast guard going away to fight the pirates cuz they're owning everyone and everything. That's all fine and dandy. There are so many great sequences in here: the inspection of the club that turns into a giant CINECAST!ing brawl, the ridiculous chase with the bicycles that turns into like 5 different set pieces and lasts like 30 minutes and everything else. It's totally formulaic and awesome nonsense but the thing is that I just can't find anything wrong with the execution. Seriously. These guys perfected whatever formula they had going on there and all the little touches and nonsense work so beautifully together and that final bout with Sammo included is like a dream come true. I've found them. Yes, I have.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 06:48:38 PM by roujin »

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #22878 on: November 22, 2009, 06:50:37 PM »
Hard Ticket to Hawaii (Andy Sidaris, 1987) -

Hardly qualifies as a movie, but boy was it fun to laugh at with a group of friends and cookie dough eggrolls, cheesecake cupcakes, and some of the most delicious awful food you can find.

Rating: 0

But seriously, if you want a good time, rent this and just laugh all day long at how ridiculous it is.

Full Review...because it had to be done, and it must be read by all.

Oh, I love Andy Sidaris' films.  I grew up watching them.  I mean, he's not Russ Myers but when you're a 13-14 year old kid.  What do you want to see?  Explosions, kick-ass violence, topless chicks.  Oh, that takes me back.  My favorite is The Dallas Connection.  I don't think it's great cinema or high art but I do enjoy watching his films.  Sure, the dialogue and acting is cheesy but the films are fun to watch.

Earlier today...

A Serious Man by Joel & Ethan Coen-*****/*****

So far in the films of the Coens I've seen...

1. Barton Fink
2. Fargo
3. The Big Lebowski
4. No Country for Old Men
5. A Serious Man
6. Raising Arizona
7. Blood Simple
8. Miller's Crossing
9. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
10. The Man Who Wasn't There
11. Burn After Reading
12. Intolerable Cruelty
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #22879 on: November 22, 2009, 06:55:38 PM »
Carlito's Way
Dir. Brian De Palma

Parts of this are pretty good, but its too long and too uninteresting to be as good as I've heard it was.  Other than Pacino's wardrobe and some of his performance its not a film I particularly care for.  The foot chase through Grand Central is great until the gun play starts, then its just generic Hollywood action which deflates a really well staged set piece.

Grade B-

Great film.

Still Sean Penn's best performance.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 07:00:18 PM by Holly Harry »
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

love