Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996303 times)

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #22890 on: November 22, 2009, 11:42:47 PM »

Blast Of Silence 8/10

This is a simple story about Frankie Bono, a hitman from Cleveland, who comes to New York to off a mid-level mob guy around Christmas.  The film was written and directed by Allen Baron, who also stars as Bruno and it's clearly a film that was made on the cheap.  The camerawork is simple and straightforward.  The film opens with a jarring, second-person narrative that I never really warmed to.  There were a few great lines that temporarily won me over - the mob guy is described as "Second-string syndicate boss with too much ambition and a mustache to hide the fact that he’s got lips like a woman. The kind of face you hate.", but overall it just didn't work.  There were a few moments that stood out as being atypical of the genre, most notable a Christmas party where Frankie finds himself in a "pushing a peanut across the floor with your nose" race, and they were a nice change of pace.  The performances are all over the place.  Baron does a fine job as Bono, occasionally reminding me of DeNiro in brief flashes.  There's a romance that doesn't go anywhere and a detour along the way to the hit, but the events pretty much unfold as expected, even the ending, which may have been a bit surprising at the time (maybe?).  A good film, but I was hoping for a little more (it's not even 80 min.).

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #22891 on: November 23, 2009, 12:16:57 AM »

Carry on Pickpocket Sammo Hung, 1982

Lots of fun. Those early silly moments watching Sammo and the gang pick pockets may be my favorite moments of the film along with that stakeout with that dumb cop trying all those toys. It gets pretty intense later on with some double crosses and some fake violence and I thought the film had turned this incredibly hardass turn at one point, but then it just showed me that you can't trust anything. By the way, the scene at the disco is frame-for-frame perfect. That lonely as hell Chaplin homage is so beautiful and the incredible dance sequence that follows is even better. Anyway, Sammo is the man of my dreams.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 12:19:03 AM by roujin »

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #22892 on: November 23, 2009, 01:10:02 AM »
Anvil!: The Story of Anvil - great story.  the film itself isn't bad, either.  and while i wouldn't say it deserves to be on the Oscar shortlist, i would feel good seeing it there.
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #22893 on: November 23, 2009, 02:57:49 AM »
Itty Bitty Titty Committee - so effing brilliant.  an utterly beautiful film. 

how was this only 95 on my last Top 100?
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #22894 on: November 23, 2009, 10:11:09 AM »
What Time is it There? (2001, Tsai Ming-Liang)
B

It's good, but this guy's films start to look like one another after a while.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #22895 on: November 23, 2009, 10:30:22 AM »
B

nah.  i think Goodbye, Dragon Inn and I Don't Want to Sleep Alone are so much better, and notably different, than everything else i've caught.  convinced a friend to catch Face at CIFF last month, it was his first Tsai Ming-liang and he really liked it; i unfortunately missed it

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #22896 on: November 23, 2009, 10:32:56 AM »
B

nah.  i think Goodbye, Dragon Inn and I Don't Want to Sleep Alone are so much better, and notably different, than everything else i've caught.  convinced a friend to catch Face at CIFF last month, it was his first Tsai Ming-liang and he really liked it; i unfortunately missed it

In the actual review I mention that the three Tsai films I have seen are Vivre L'Amour, The River and What Time is it There?, so I can't comment on the ones you mention. I will take them into consideration however, but only after a little break from his stuff.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

Steven O. Selsnik

• Elite Member
  • I don't mind a parasite.Iobject to a cut-rate one
« Reply #22897 on: November 23, 2009, 11:49:34 AM »
SEVEN-Had not seen it before. Liked it even though I predicted the outcome. I knew from the outset that Paltrow would be a victim but it took me until Spacey turned himself in to get the ending.

3.5/5

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #22898 on: November 23, 2009, 11:52:18 AM »
SEVEN-Had not seen it before. Liked it even though I predicted the outcome. I knew from the outset that Paltrow would be a victim but it took me until Spacey turned himself in to get the ending.

3.5/5

To me the whole thing was pretty telescoped.  My only takeaway was some pretty cool atmosperic cinematography - but it wasn't nearly enough for me. 
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #22899 on: November 23, 2009, 11:52:57 AM »
Anvil!: The Story of Anvil - great story.  the film itself isn't bad, either.  and while i wouldn't say it deserves to be on the Oscar shortlist, i would feel good seeing it there.

Anyone know if the version runningon VH1 is uncut/unedited? 
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

love