Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997774 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #22900 on: November 23, 2009, 11:54:45 AM »
The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Also, I started noticing a lot of Jack Sparrow in Eli Wallach's performance, especially in the hand gestures and the way his character comes off like a boob but is very capable when he needs to be.  I'm surprised Johnny Depp hasn't said anything.
Good observation - I think you may have something here
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22901 on: November 23, 2009, 11:55:28 AM »
I'm sorry guys I dont buy that you predicted the ending of Se7en. Sure I can see you guessing that Paltrow would be the victim but how it happens I dont buy it. Unless of course, you had heard the ending before because it is part of general pop culture. I have seen the movie more than a dozen times and there are no clues as to the ending. It's not the kind of movie that give clues to how it will end so I dont think you can guess the ending, other than in a general way of course.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #22902 on: November 23, 2009, 11:56:01 AM »
Anvil!: The Story of Anvil - great story.  the film itself isn't bad, either.  and while i wouldn't say it deserves to be on the Oscar shortlist, i would feel good seeing it there.

Anyone know if the version runningon VH1 is uncut/unedited? 

If it's running on VH1, then probably not.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #22903 on: November 23, 2009, 12:06:17 PM »
I'm sorry guys I dont buy that you predicted the ending of Se7en. Sure I can see you guessing that Paltrow would be the victim but how it happens I dont buy it. Unless of course, you had heard the ending before because it is part of general pop culture. I have seen the movie more than a dozen times and there are no clues as to the ending. It's not the kind of movie that give clues to how it will end so I dont think you can guess the ending, other than in a general way of course.

Nope you're right - didn't predict the details.  To me, however, by that point the method was of little consequence.  Clovis, I know you're a fan - so I feel bad ripping on it.  I have to admit however these kinds of crime dramas just don't hold my attention so this is really my fault not the movie's fault.

BTW: I was pretty fortunate to have steered clear of most spoilers going into this.  I basically new Pitt and Freeman were in this and that it may have been Spacy's best role.  I knew going in it had something to do with a serial killer and the seven deadly sins (which I had to memorize in 6th grade).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 12:13:15 PM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22904 on: November 23, 2009, 12:10:21 PM »

Nope you're right - didn't predict the details.  To me, however, by that point the method was of little consequence.  Clovis, I know you're a fan - so I feel bad ripping on it.  I have to admit however these kinds of crime dramas just don't hold my attention so this is really my fault not the movie's fault.

BTW: I was pretty fortunate to have steered clear of most spoilers going into this.  I basically new Pitt and Freeman were in this and that it may have been Spacy's best roll.  I knew going in it had something to do with a serial killer and the seven deadly sins (which I had to memorize in 6th grade).

Rip away! I dont mind that's the fun of the board, hearing other opinions. Also, I am a total sucker for anything Fincher but I can easily see how others would not like his stuff (I pretend Button does not exist, it eases my mind).

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #22905 on: November 23, 2009, 12:26:33 PM »
Brad Pitt makes that final scene unintentionally funny.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22906 on: November 23, 2009, 12:32:34 PM »
SEVEN-Had not seen it before. Liked it even though I predicted the outcome. I knew from the outset that Paltrow would be a victim but it took me until Spacey turned himself in to get the ending.

3.5/5

To me the whole thing was pretty telescoped.  My only takeaway was some pretty cool atmosperic cinematography - but it wasn't nearly enough for me. 
Se7en is the only Fincher film I think is bad.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #22907 on: November 23, 2009, 12:37:07 PM »
Se7en is the only Fincher film I think is bad.

The only Fincher feature I haven't seen is Alien 3.  I like all of his films except Button.  I love Zodiac; I really like The Game and Se7en.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #22908 on: November 23, 2009, 01:06:39 PM »
Brad Pitt makes that final scene unintentionally funny.

AWwwawawwawawawa, what's in the box!

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #22909 on: November 23, 2009, 01:15:13 PM »
What Time is it There? (2001, Tsai Ming-Liang)
B

It's good, but this guy's films start to look like one another after a while.

nah.  i think Goodbye, Dragon Inn and I Don't Want to Sleep Alone are so much better, and notably different, than everything else i've caught.  convinced a friend to catch Face at CIFF last month, it was his first Tsai Ming-liang and he really liked it; i unfortunately missed it

In the actual review I mention that the three Tsai films I have seen are Vivre L'Amour, The River and What Time is it There?, so I can't comment on the ones you mention. I will take them into consideration however, but only after a little break from his stuff.

gotcha.  i was in space-case mode - after i replied and posted i thought i need to click through the link. i didn't make it back

Nope you're right - didn't predict the details.  To me, however, by that point the method was of little consequence.  

not sure if this is picking up on a more detailed conversation elsewhere, but i'm with ferris here.  it was pretty obvious that Paltrow was going down and sure i had no idea how, but i don't think that was meaningful in any way.  so not a fan of that one :)

But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)