Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998507 times)

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #22910 on: November 23, 2009, 01:54:51 PM »
Brad Pitt makes that final scene unintentionally funny.

I really disagree with this,and always have. I don't know how anyone else is supposed to react in a situation like that.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22911 on: November 23, 2009, 01:58:37 PM »

I really disagree with this,and always have. I don't know how anyone else is supposed to react in a situation like that.

I could not agree more. It's an over-the-top reaction to an over-the-top situation. I think it's perfect.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #22912 on: November 23, 2009, 02:07:18 PM »

I could not agree more. It's an over-the-top reaction to an over-the-top situation. I think it's perfect.

For people I know, it's not the character's reaction, but Pitt's acting that they find unintentionally hilarious in that scene.  I don't find it funny; I just find it pretty bad.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #22913 on: November 23, 2009, 02:49:46 PM »

For people I know, it's not the character's reaction, but Pitt's acting that they find unintentionally hilarious in that scene.  I don't find it funny; I just find it pretty bad.

I think it's amazing, and his acting is perfect. Every time that moment happens Pitt sends shivers down my spine. It's excellent. I don't get any complaints.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #22914 on: November 23, 2009, 04:17:42 PM »

Winners and Sinners Sammo Hung, 1983

So funny. Sammo and his buddies go to jail for a bunch of really dumb crimes (the best might be that Sammo himself tries to rob a house while they're throwing a surprise party for Sammo Hung the actor :D ). Then these dudes become friends in jail and form a cleaning company. Jackie Chan also pops up throughout playing a cop who constantly screws up and the best we see of him is at this one supremely 80s rollerskating competition where has to chase down a robber and cause one of the greatest pileups in movie history. Anyway, the cleaning company somehow get caught up in a counterfeiting majigger and there's lots of hilarity there, but there's just as much time devoted to the group's pursuit of one of the member's sister or to one of them thinking that he can become invisible. Really silly stuff, but done oh so well.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 04:19:42 PM by roujin »

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #22915 on: November 23, 2009, 04:39:50 PM »
Rear Window

Perfection. So tense and just masterfully done. Top 10 material. In fact, with my recent mini-marathon I'm afraid Hitchcock is taking over my top 10! How cliche is it that he is now my favorite director?

Grade: A+
So glad you loved it!!

Understatement of the year.

I know I am a bit late with this, but I am also so glad that you loved it, it is my #2 movie of all time. (avatar and all  :))
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 04:45:44 PM by ses593 »
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #22916 on: November 23, 2009, 04:42:19 PM »
Yeah, what Verite said is what I meant, it's the acting that I thought was bad, not the character's reaction/behaviour.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #22917 on: November 23, 2009, 05:05:31 PM »
Adaptation

I watched this a couple nights ago and feel justified having this at #47 on my top 100. Cage could potentially make my top 20 performances list... heck maybe even Streep or Cooper.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #22918 on: November 23, 2009, 05:22:53 PM »
Bridget Jones' Diary

Only really good for those who, like Bridget, couldn't figure out that Hugh Grant was lying about Colin Ferrel Firth (sorry Em!) sleeping with his finance. 2/5

Magnolia

If there's a spoiler thread, I'd love to have a discussion of this there.  I may start one.  

But, in sum, I found this a fascinating movie intellectually.  Like Mulholland Dr., this movie is a puzzle that isn't necessarily resolved at the end.  But, except in moments, I find it too intellectual and not devoted to the emotional impact of what is going on with the characters.  Every time we get some character development, there's another flower or 8:2 to spot.  Reminds me a bit of the children's book author Grahame Base-- you get so caught up in the puzzle that you forget to enjoy the story.  In Magnolia, it seems, even the director forgets about the story sometimes.  Still, for a puzzle, it's really well put together.  

And although I don't care for Tom Cruise that much, but I think this role was perfect for him-- very well done.  
4/5
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 05:34:53 PM by stevekimes »
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #22919 on: November 23, 2009, 05:32:54 PM »
Bridget Jones' Diary

Only really good for those who, like Bridget, couldn't figure out that Hugh Grant was lying about Colin Ferrel sleeping with his finance. 2/5

:o

Oh no you didn't! You didn't just say Colin Ferrel?!?!?!?!?!

I can forgive you for not liking the film very much, but don't do this to my dear Colin Firth!  ;)