love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5995954 times)

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #23400 on: December 01, 2009, 09:14:30 PM »

The Last Emperor[1987]
Biopics can be messy, and even a director as talented as Bernardo Bertolucci can stumble in relaying the details of even an extraordinary life without becoming bogged down in the minutia.  That is ultimately my problem with the film.  It was long, and it felt long.  It is absolutely beautiful to behold.  The colors explode on the screen.  The costumes and scenery are overwhelmingly spectacular.  The problem was, I never felt like any message was trying to be conveyed, or at least not one I could identify with. 

The the story itself is interesting at least in premise.  I'm very interesting in 'the last' of something.  An end of an era, of a way of life.  And that is very well represented in the film, but ultimately I didn't become vested in the emperor in the least.  The rest of the characters drifted in and out of the film with little emotional impact on the emperor or for me.  For someone who held such a high position, he was a bit of a pushover and not all that interesting.  There was very little to grab a hold of here.  The cultural battle that could have been the focal point of the movie, was present, but decidedly underdeveloped.  The biggest flaw however was the dead dialog and forced exposition.  Especially in the first third of the film, the acting and dialog was downright uncomfortable.  It felt like they had a lot to say, but were rushed and just decided to try to cram as much background into as few lines of dialog as possible.  It came off unnatural and forced and completely clashed with the elegance and authenticity of the visuals.  In the end, that's what I took away from this. It has stunning visuals.  The story is lacking, but vibrancy is not.
Rating: 3/5
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #23401 on: December 01, 2009, 09:37:21 PM »

The Last Emperor[1987]
Biopics can be messy, and even a director as talented as Bernardo Bertolucci can stumble in relaying the details of even an extraordinary life without becoming bogged down in the minutia.  That is ultimately my problem with the film.  It was long, and it felt long.  It is absolutely beautiful to behold.  The colors explode on the screen.  The costumes and scenery are overwhelmingly spectacular.  The problem was, I never felt like any message was trying to be conveyed, or at least not one I could identify with. 

The the story itself is interesting at least in premise.  I'm very interesting in 'the last' of something.  An end of an era, of a way of life.  And that is very well represented in the film, but ultimately I didn't become vested in the emperor in the least.  The rest of the characters drifted in and out of the film with little emotional impact on the emperor or for me.  For someone who held such a high position, he was a bit of a pushover and not all that interesting.  There was very little to grab a hold of here.  The cultural battle that could have been the focal point of the movie, was present, but decidedly underdeveloped.  The biggest flaw however was the dead dialog and forced exposition.  Especially in the first third of the film, the acting and dialog was downright uncomfortable.  It felt like they had a lot to say, but were rushed and just decided to try to cram as much background into as few lines of dialog as possible.  It came off unnatural and forced and completely clashed with the elegance and authenticity of the visuals.  In the end, that's what I took away from this. It has stunning visuals.  The story is lacking, but vibrancy is not.

I appreciate your review BV. I'm only two thirds of the way through this right now but agree with what you're saying, particularly about the spotty acting and clumsy dialogue. It probably doesn't feel as long to me as it did to you because I'm breaking up the 3.5 runtime into 3 sittings. It's not been a drag, but it's never been seriously captivating either.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #23402 on: December 01, 2009, 09:49:38 PM »
I found the character of Pu Yi to be ultimately fascinating. I loved the way it dealt with time. It is one of the most visually stunning films I have seen (I am so glad Bertolucci was able to film inside the Forbidden City). And the runtime did not feel long. So I would have to respectfully disagree with you guys.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #23403 on: December 01, 2009, 10:07:29 PM »
caught Miami Vice on the big screen again last night.  this was a film i caught twice the first time around.  i have no idea why i thought this was good.  it isn't.  it has some nice/great shots.  there is something compelling to me about Farrell, but i don't think he is really very good; Foxx isn't good.  what should have been some aspects of humorous/campy script were played (seemingly) straight (Tubbs' "Take it to the limit one more time", to name one of many).  utterly dull story.  the first time(s) around i thought it had something interesting to say on identity, but it doesn't.  trite. trite. trite.  and bummed, especially since i so much loved The Insider a couple of weeks back.
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #23404 on: December 01, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
The Last Emperor[1987]
It has stunning visuals.  The story is lacking, but vibrancy is not.

I appreciate your review BV. I'm only two thirds of the way through this right now but agree with what you're saying, particularly about the spotty acting and clumsy dialogue. It probably doesn't feel as long to me as it did to you because I'm breaking up the 3.5 runtime into 3 sittings. It's not been a drag, but it's never been seriously captivating either.

It really depends on how long you want to look at pretty things because I cannot remember much about the story.

Seems like I am in the same boat.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #23405 on: December 01, 2009, 10:27:13 PM »
Camera Buff

Might be my new favorite Kieslowski. Very funny and heartbreaking film about maintaining integrity in filmmaking.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #23406 on: December 01, 2009, 10:38:31 PM »
Camera Buff

Might be my new favorite Kieslowski. Very funny and heartbreaking film about maintaining integrity in filmmaking.
Yes, it's very good but being the shallow person I am I like all his pretty looking '90s films more.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23407 on: December 01, 2009, 10:54:08 PM »
Thirst
Dir. Park Chan-wook

When the credits rolled all I could think was "Oh thank God its over!"  What a train wreck.  I was with it for about 30 minutes, after that my attention and interest wained until I just started to get angry at the film.  Interesting ideas and vampire set pieces are certainly here, but they don't make for a good movie or story.  Park has yet to impress me, other than the hammer scene in Oldboy.  I still don't get this guy.

Grade D+
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #23408 on: December 01, 2009, 11:02:39 PM »

The Last Emperor[1987]
[/center]
Biopics can be messy, and even a director as talented as Bernardo Bertolucci can stumble in relaying the details of even an extraordinary life without becoming bogged down in the minutia.  That is ultimately my problem with the film.  It was long, and it felt long.  It is absolutely beautiful to behold.  The colors explode on the screen.  The costumes and scenery are overwhelmingly spectacular.  The problem was, I never felt like any message was trying to be conveyed, or at least not one I could identify with.  

The the story itself is interesting at least in premise.  I'm very interesting in 'the last' of something.  An end of an era, of a way of life.  And that is very well represented in the film, but ultimately I didn't become vested in the emperor in the least.  The rest of the characters drifted in and out of the film with little emotional impact on the emperor or for me.  For someone who held such a high position, he was a bit of a pushover and not all that interesting.  There was very little to grab a hold of here.  The cultural battle that could have been the focal point of the movie, was present, but decidedly underdeveloped.  The biggest flaw however was the dead dialog and forced exposition.  Especially in the first third of the film, the acting and dialog was downright uncomfortable.  It felt like they had a lot to say, but were rushed and just decided to try to cram as much background into as few lines of dialog as possible.  It came off unnatural and forced and completely clashed with the elegance and authenticity of the visuals.  In the end, that's what I took away from this. It has stunning visuals.  The story is lacking, but vibrancy is not.

I've always been curious about this - but I was worried about it being bloated and self-important.  These reviews kinda verify some of my cautions...  I wonder how this will do in the 80 Brackets?
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #23409 on: December 01, 2009, 11:46:13 PM »
#287.

17 Again (Burr Steers, 2009) -

First it was corny, then it was great, then it was awkward, then it was great the rest of the time. Zac Efron was so great in this. It actually had multiple laugh out loud moments for me too. The relationship between the principal and Thomas Lennon's character was fantastic. I though it was really good and a lot of fun.

Rating: ***...#29 of 2009 so far
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

love