love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998319 times)

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #24030 on: December 13, 2009, 06:50:19 PM »
Wings

Writeup is over in my Oscars marathon thread.

This beats the hell out of going to work tonight (I decided to take a comp day, Sundays are the day when I'm least missed because they are used to not having a detective anyway).  Now I have to decide between reading, listening to more Tuchman audiobook, or watching another movie.  So indulgent!

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #24031 on: December 13, 2009, 08:55:18 PM »
Moon - Duncan Jones, 2009
I said to a friend when this was over, it was exactly what I expected, and not what I expected at all. I think that's the best way to sum up my feelings.

Love that the Sam Bells seem to have different personalities. It's a great touch. Find it weird that the girl from the trailer is a total MacGuffin/plot device. What's with that?

B+

District 9 - Neill Blomkamp, 2009
I watched Antichrist without flinching. I didn't even really find it that shocking. A little bit gross, but mostly, meh.

I had my hands over my face looking in the other direction for a huge chunk in the middle of this. For whatever reason, I just couldn't do it. I was pretty shocked by how much it affected me.

With that said, I wasn't a fan. I think it is made kinda well, but the mockumentary gimmick is a gimmick, and doesn't really work that well. The writing is also pretty poor, and I felt like the story was pretty standard. I would've preferred they stuck to the racism allegory than turn it into "E T phone home." Won't be making my Filmspot ballot in any regard.

C

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
« Reply #24032 on: December 13, 2009, 09:06:21 PM »
Twilight Samurai

This is a quiet and beautiful story about a noble man.  The two hours flew by; every moment was worthwhile.  I want more movies like this.  A-
The answers you seek are in Norway.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #24033 on: December 13, 2009, 09:12:59 PM »
Spirited Away - Hayao Miyazaki, 2001

A nice little film. Good animation, good music, good story. As Ferris mentioned in his marathon, the ugly characters did not need to be quite so repulsive and all the vomit is a bit much - but these are minor concerns. The moral lessons were not painfully explicit (as in, say, Up) which I appreciated but overall I didn't find anything exceptional about this movie. 7/10.

Glad you read my review!  Sorry you didn't share my huge enthusiasm for it.  But that's ok.  Did you go in familiar with other Miyazaki? 

This is not only my first Miyazaki but really my first cartoon animation apart from all the classic kids movies like Cinderella.

and yeah, your review was a ripper too.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #24034 on: December 13, 2009, 09:21:22 PM »

Inland Empire - Yeah, I didn't like this as much.  It has a lot of great things about it: the low-grade video gives the whole thing a samizdat quality that only amps up the creepiness, Laura Dern is terrific (I never really considered Lynch an "actors director" but he consistently gets outstanding performances in his films, he should get more credit for this), I love a good Gypsy curse as much as the next guy and I like how the movie makes a kind of sense, even when I have no idea what's going on (a Lynch trademark, I suppose).  Basically, my complaint about it is that's it's essentially a horror movie and really good at being scary which means it's so terrifying that I'll probably never want to watch it again because really scary scary movies really scare me and I usually don't enjoy being scared.  Basically, mystery whores doing the Loco-Motion: Yay!  Crazy deformed screamy mouth: Nay!

The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #24035 on: December 13, 2009, 09:41:44 PM »
Laura Dern's performance is really great.

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #24036 on: December 13, 2009, 09:42:34 PM »
I want to see that, but I can never bring myself to go through with it.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24037 on: December 13, 2009, 10:01:31 PM »
The Road

The numerous delays and early word of mouth (from over a year ago) was middling, and right.   The book is one of the best things I've read in recent years outside the realm of Hogwarts.  And it is so good largely due to its lack of context.  We are dropped in this world with no compass other than the the pounding of feet on pavement and last gasp hope; SOUTH.  

The good are several strong performances, beautifully haunting cinematography and the fact that they perfectly rendered the beach scenes as if from my own mind's eye.

The film has little faith in its audience by attempting to answer certain unnecessary questions and by telegraphing anything remotely twisted or scary.  Viggo is worth the watch.  His performance is very good and I think this stems from his well known role as a father in real life.  Robert Duvall is almost unrecognizable as the world weary traveler, and the scene he shares with Viggo is beautiful.  I would nominate Duvall for those fleeting moments, as they are the finest in the film, and some of the best acting I've seen this year.  As for Viggo's young charge, he's not particularly strong, and is written fairly annoyingly for the screen.  In the book he is less a burden more a sacrifice and seeing as that is the central element of this story the film failed to pull me in.  Add to that a number of poorly executed CGI Matte paintings and the world never lived for me.  Big disappointment.

Grade B-
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 10:04:24 PM by CSSCHNEIDER »
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #24038 on: December 13, 2009, 10:06:42 PM »
Field of Dreams

#42 on my top 100. Probably my 50th or so watching of this film but last night I watched it with my 13 year old daughter for the first time. We both share a love of baseball so it was a special moment for me that she loved this movie.  Moonlight Graham is my favorite character. He gives the movie perspective on baseball and it's place in a person's life experience. " Had I been a doctor for five minutes, now that would have been a tragedy."

Really great story Selsnik, this is a movie that my dad and I always watch together, my mom doesn't get it, but we do.  :)
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #24039 on: December 13, 2009, 10:42:40 PM »
Moon - Duncan Jones, 2009
I said to a friend when this was over, it was exactly what I expected, and not what I expected at all. I think that's the best way to sum up my feelings.

Love that the Sam Bells seem to have different personalities. It's a great touch. Find it weird that the girl from the trailer is a total MacGuffin/plot device. What's with that?

B+

I wondered about that hallucination - it really doesn't get addressed later in the film.  Made me wonder if it was just side effects from the clone's slow decline?  or if it was strictly put in there as Duncan's Jones' way too throw you off the scent early on  It's my #3 film of the year.  Is the DVD out now?  I couldn't remember if the release was before or after Christmas

"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

love