Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996457 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #24080 on: December 14, 2009, 09:52:39 AM »
Inland Empire
Perhaps the only movie I thought was completely utter nonsese. Bored me so much I haven't even finished it. And I can count the number of films I haven't finished one one hand. Without context I find nothing in this film even creepy.

Metropolitan
Dir Whit Stillman

I've been craving this for months, but my DVD got stolen.  Imagine my joy seeing it listed on Netflix Watch Instant.  I loved this when I first saw it, I love it even more now.  The script is outstanding, even if its a bit wordy and pretentious.  This would be on my list of the best of the 90s list.

Grade A  
I watched this about a week ago and loved it. I think the wordy and pretentiousness of it all is integral to the characters of the film and wouldn't fault it for that. It be like complaining that The Man With No Name doesn't have enough dialogue.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #24081 on: December 14, 2009, 09:56:05 AM »
#301.
Number Seventeen (Alfred Hitchcock, 1932) -

I think in the end the film is just too short to be anything other than a fairly decent suspense thriller from Hitchcock.

Rating: **1/2
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24082 on: December 14, 2009, 10:14:56 AM »

Metropolitan
Dir Whit Stillman

I've been craving this for months, but my DVD got stolen.  Imagine my joy seeing it listed on Netflix Watch Instant.  I loved this when I first saw it, I love it even more now.  The script is outstanding, even if its a bit wordy and pretentious.  This would be on my list of the best of the 90s list.

Grade A  
I watched this about a week ago and loved it. I think the wordy and pretentiousness of it all is integral to the characters of the film and wouldn't fault it for that. It be like complaining that The Man With No Name doesn't have enough dialogue.

I completely agree.  I wouldn't have said anything in my review but for my roommate who walked in and watched about twenty minutes of it only to say he'd ike the film if it wasn't so pretentious.  I guess it was fresh in my mind.  I think you're dead on though.

As for why I watch somethings I have multiple reasons.  First is was Kimble said.  There are things that may be bad, but I want to see pretty much everything to give it a fair chance.  I thought Confessions of a Shopaholic would have been bad, but I ended up liking it for one reason or another.  My other main reason is as a filmmaker, struggling filmmaker, I don't get a lot of options as to what it is I can make.  Its what people pay me to make.  So, its in my interest to see as much as possible to have a wide cinematic vocabulary when approaching a new project.  When directors, especially young ones talk to their cameramen they will mention films they want something to look like as reference.  If I've already seen those movies a relationship can be established quickly.  Also by watching bad films I can see what works and doesn't work for different films.  Even the worst movies can teach you something.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #24083 on: December 14, 2009, 10:22:45 AM »
American Beauty
Possibly my favorite movie of all time, if not that then definitely #2 (behind The Big Lebowski). I think it's Mendes' 2nd best film (Road to Perdition at #1), but this is still a fantastic film. The script is brilliant, the performances are very good (Chris Cooper especially, who is absolutely brilliant), and Mendes pulls it all together wonderfully. My favorite score of all time by Thomas Newman, and Conrad Hall's cinematography is understated, yet incredibly effective.

Great film. 2nd best of 1999.

This is like a poll question:

American Beauty is:
1) your favorite movie of all time
2) your 2nd favorite behind Big Lebowski
3) your 2nd favorite of 1999
4) your 2nd favorite Mendez behind Road to Perdition

hey Hal.  Sorry don't mean to pick on you.  

I'm with you - I love this film.  That makes you and I among a small but vocal percentage here .  I've had it in my top 10 since I first saw it back in the theater.  So I'm with you on the praise, and Conrad Hall's cinematography.  I think this film got a backlash from the spacyhate that bubbled to a boil after Life of David Gale.  I'm still on board with him.   I LOVE Benning's over the top performance. For me it's the best female performance of that decade.

Sadly Mendez has had deminishing returns ever since.  Away We Go was nice and that.  Rev Road was nearly unwatchable
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #24084 on: December 14, 2009, 10:27:11 AM »
Yeah American Beauty is the nuts. In my Top 20 somewhere.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #24085 on: December 14, 2009, 10:30:47 AM »
About a Boy is awesome.

I didn't like it.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #24086 on: December 14, 2009, 12:20:49 PM »
I am, I've got a Friday deadline to have a Top 50 of the decade, so I'm trying to get as many that might make such a list as possible before then.

I'll definitely see more Almodóvar.  But the "ew" factor really took me out of being able to respond emotionally to the story, whether it was meant to be real or not.

Talk to Her is the one I was initially the coldest on, of Almodovar's films of the decade... in time since watching it, I warmed up to the film as a whole, although I'm still being uneasy about him trying to make people sympathize with Benigno.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #24087 on: December 14, 2009, 12:22:19 PM »
#302.
The Man Who Knew Too Much (Alfred Hitchcock, 1934) -

A nice little tale of kidnapping and assassination. Like most Hitchcock films, suspense and thrilling action are a plenty here, but to be honest I wasn't blown away by this film.

Rating: ***
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24088 on: December 14, 2009, 01:51:40 PM »
Funny People
Dir. Judd Apatow
DoP.  Kaminski

This is half a great film.  I really loved the first portion of this film, but then it starts to drag on and the whole San Fran segment is really tiresome.  Adam Sandler gives another solid performance, but then the material lets him down.  Its interesting and seems like Apatow is taking an interesting step in his progression as a storyteller.

Grade B-
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
« Reply #24089 on: December 14, 2009, 02:47:55 PM »
Brothers

Not one laugh-out-loud moment in nearly two hours.   :-\

A good movie?  A-