Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5995997 times)

exskiman

Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #24690 on: December 27, 2009, 10:45:27 AM »
Man on the Train

Once more I thank the Netflix Instant gods for helping me find and then getting me to watch this really amazing film that I doubt I would of ever heard of otherwise. A simple story of two men - complete opposites - encountering each other and forming a friendship. A really nice slow moving film simply about who these men are and how they affect each other. The film had so many opportunities to become an awful cliche and as I was watching it I couldn't help but thinking that they are actually pulling this off. And pull it off they did. Why have I never heard a word about this film before???

Whatever is considered a perfect score.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24691 on: December 27, 2009, 11:09:55 AM »
For All Man Kind

I must admit more than a few tears escaped during the planting of the Stars and Stripes.  There is a lot I want to say, but the film has left me a little weak in the face of such accomplishment and pride.  

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone..."

Grade A
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:22:01 AM by CSSCHNEIDER »
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #24692 on: December 27, 2009, 11:26:22 AM »

Food Inc.[2008]
Yes, another documentary that will make you feel bad about what you eat.  A very middle of the road documentary.  It didn't outrage me, and maybe that wasn't its point.  It made me think more about where my food comes from, but it really doesn't take much more than common sense to know you should probably be eating more organic then factory processed food.  I appreciated that the film didn't go out of its way to gross you out, and gave fair play to the companies (Walmart) who agreed to be interviewed for the documentary.  I appreciate everything that it lays out.  It is done in an intelligent, well organized manner.  It just has no flair.  No draw.  Perhaps this leads to more credence to its message, but I never felt as drawn in.  It's a decent documentary with a great message which demonizes those that should be put in the spotlight, which are the food companies, not the workers and farmers.
Rating: 3/5

i've written this a couple of times, but it is astounding to me how many folks find the information in this film new and useful, even folks that tend to know more about food than the average person.  it would have been nice had it delved into the sham of organic, mostly just a tiny step removed from all of the piss-poor multinational practices captured here.

Forrest Gump

The backlash against this movie is so stupid. It's brilliant.

stupid is as stupid does.  is there a backlash going on?  though a well-made film, i think it is ideologically bankrupt
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #24693 on: December 27, 2009, 11:32:14 AM »
My lash is frontal.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #24694 on: December 27, 2009, 12:03:59 PM »
Soderbergh apparently hates that film.
He can hate it all he wants, I really like it.

I like it too, but I certainly understand why he doesn't.
A$AP Fables

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #24695 on: December 27, 2009, 12:04:36 PM »

In The Loop Armando Iannucci, 2009

British people say naughty words. Laughs are had.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #24696 on: December 27, 2009, 12:09:06 PM »
Forrest Gump

The backlash against this movie is so stupid. It's brilliant. And say, isn't this by the guy who made BttF? What ever happened to that guy?

Is it a backlash if I hated it when I saw it in the theater in 1994 and have never had a desire to revisit it?*

*But I will, eventually, as part of my epic Best Picture marathon.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #24697 on: December 27, 2009, 12:10:30 PM »
Soderbergh apparently hates that film.
He can hate it all he wants, I really like it.

I like it too, but I certainly understand why he doesn't.

Hmmm, what are your reasons/his reasons I mean? I'm not as big of a Sodie fan as you are, so your insight here would be appreciated.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #24698 on: December 27, 2009, 12:12:17 PM »
Where is Basil's essay when you need it? Jeez!

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #24699 on: December 27, 2009, 12:45:35 PM »
My lash is frontal.
That sounds dirty.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.