love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998353 times)

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #25240 on: January 08, 2010, 11:58:49 AM »
Naked
Dir. Mike Leigh
DoP Dick Pope

I used to be the Student Body President of the London Film School.  Mike Leigh is our most prestigious graduate, and President of the School.  As such we met a few times, I talked with him briefly on those occasions yet never had the courage to admit the fact that I had never seen any of his films, other than a short that starred David Thewlis.  Well, nearly two years after finishing school there I finally got around to it.  I loved the first hour of this.  The act of throwing the audience into a hapless situation and following such a grody character was somewhat exhilarating.  Chasing him from Manchester to London, and staying in step with him through the decayed fragments of early 90s London, still recovering from Thatcher's work is at once interesting and slightly repulsive.  But, once exiled from his only London refuge I think the film wallows in a series of strange and far less engaging decisions.  We already know Thewlis's Jonny is an ass with a mouth, spending all that time with him pontificating wasn't as compelling as the earlier material.  And the Jeremy subplot was something I never truly got.  But, for my first Leigh film I did like it.

Dick Pope's photography was incredible to me.  Beautifully simple and at times rather harsh.  His camera moves were lovely and his use of the now defunct Agfa Motion Picture stock made me pine for that opportunity more than ever, though it won't happen unless I find a couple cans kicking around the fridge of some mad old Cinematographer.

Grade B+
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #25241 on: January 08, 2010, 12:00:23 PM »
Fargo

Third viewing. IT GOT ME. BIG TIME. I had a wonderful feeling this might happen. Wow this is awesome! Even after two viewings this was still hovering around 'pretty good.' I must be growing up.  :P

That Mike Yanagita scene is probably the best thing ever.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25242 on: January 08, 2010, 12:03:00 PM »

again, glad you loved it.  i'd say that is about more than S&M relationships, but questions of Love itself

That is the most important distinction to make. Most S&M relationships are about love.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #25243 on: January 08, 2010, 12:09:47 PM »
I always thought, if my life were a film, it would be one that examines the complexities of S&M relationships.

Selena & Miley?

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #25244 on: January 08, 2010, 12:40:02 PM »
Mrs Doubtfire (1993, Chris Columbus)
Here's a movie I'd always refused to watch (for no good reason).  It was on TV last night ...the biggest compliment I can give it that I sat and watched the whole thing - I'm usually very quick to jettison myself from a bad movie.  Not sure I'm a better person for having seen it, but it wasn't the worst thing in the world either
GRADE: C

So wrong. Mrs. Doubtfire is a great movie.

Agree. Williams was in the running for favourite performance. :)

Aww Ferris! How could you have avoided that movie your whole life? And how could you not find it so charming?

Mrs. Doubtfire is so awesome.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25245 on: January 08, 2010, 12:58:11 PM »
It Might Get Loud

MDC for this month.

Cut out everything with The Edge (seriously get a real name) and it would be great.

My review.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #25246 on: January 08, 2010, 02:41:37 PM »
Naked
Dir. Mike Leigh
DoP Dick Pope

And the Jeremy subplot was something I never truly got. 

Jeremy is who Johnny could become. Note their similar names, and how they both treat women. The whole film is about this unstable guy trying to hold on to his ideals in a world become more and more materialist and individualist, post-Thatcher, post-Reagen. The last scene is Mike Leigh's version of a happy ending.

One of the most bizarre and brilliant black comedies ever made. Maybe the best film of the 90's, for my money.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #25247 on: January 08, 2010, 02:51:23 PM »
Naked
Dir. Mike Leigh
DoP Dick Pope

Jeremy is who Johnny could become. Note their similar names, and how they both treat women. The whole film is about this unstable guy trying to hold on to his ideals in a world become more and more materialist and individualist, post-Thatcher, post-Reagen. The last scene is Mike Leigh's version of a happy ending.

One of the most bizarre and brilliant black comedies ever made. Maybe the best film of the 90's, for my money.

OK,so I totally got that, but who cares?
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #25248 on: January 08, 2010, 02:54:46 PM »
Naked
Dir. Mike Leigh
DoP Dick Pope

OK,so I totally got that, but who cares?

Who cares about the themes of the movie? Mike Leigh, probably.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #25249 on: January 08, 2010, 03:14:14 PM »
I always thought, if my life were a film, it would be one that examines the complexities of S&M relationships.

Selena & Miley?

I shan't reply to this post.

love