Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996347 times)

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #25350 on: January 09, 2010, 09:05:21 PM »
A Serious Man

What the CINECAST! did I just watch?

**** 1/2

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #25351 on: January 09, 2010, 09:15:02 PM »
A Serious Man

What the CINECAST! did I just watch?

**** 1/2

The second best film of the year.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #25352 on: January 09, 2010, 09:35:56 PM »
It's up there for sure.

Right now, I'd probably say... 4, behind Moon, Broken Embraces, and Wild Things.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25353 on: January 09, 2010, 09:39:34 PM »
Wild Things.

Ya that movie rocked!  ;)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #25354 on: January 09, 2010, 10:11:33 PM »

Love it!  Fosse!

Keel's weird, but he grows on you.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #25355 on: January 09, 2010, 10:21:04 PM »
Yeah, I didn't like him until he put on all that makeup and started spanking Kathryn Grayson  :D

Throwdown Johnnie To, 2004

What a weird movie. It's about this disgraced former Judo champion or whatever that does nothing but drink and gamble all day but then this random guy comes in and challenges him and everything changes. I don't think I've ever seen a Judo film (still need to see Sanshiro Sugata, a film that's referenced here a lot apparently) but it's kind of a weird looking. Why? Because it gets kind of comical seeing people being thrown on the floor over and over again. I think To understands that which is why this huge brawl that starts out in a nightclub and spills over into the HK streets feels as much as musical number as it does a fight set piece (is there really a difference?). The film's tone is very strange, too. There are a lot of playful scenes where the gang steals money from gangsters (gangsters that hang out at arcade stores beating kids at fighting games) and then there are scenes that are extremely sentimental, bordering on mawkish. What happens then? I don't know. It just felt weird and at the end of the day I was unsure of what it added up to.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 10:22:46 PM by roujin »

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #25356 on: January 09, 2010, 11:37:36 PM »
Re:"The Rules Of The Game"

The aesthetic and form is why most people consider one of, if not the, best film ever made.

It's one of the reasons, definitely.  Though it seems to me that the critical and comic treatment of the French upper class dominates appreciative commentary of the film.

It's use of deep focus(2 years before "Citizen Kane") and camera movements(pre-something like "The Earrings Of Madame De...") made my mouth drop, mainly due to the film being formally incredibly impessive in and of itself, but in 1939, it's mindblowing. Puts most filmmaking to shame.

Renoir's film bursts with vivacity because of the staging and choreography that he achieved with the longish takes, camera movement, and blocking.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25357 on: January 10, 2010, 12:06:51 AM »
The Hudsucker Proxy

probably in my bottom three Coen Bro's films.
I'd put it in their top 3. Probably their most underrated. Then again I always thought the Coens were better at being funny than serious and violent and existential. Leave that stuff for those pretentious Europeans.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #25358 on: January 10, 2010, 12:31:56 AM »
#13.
Youth in Revolt (Miguel Arteta, 2010) -

Look, I love Michael Cera. He, to me, is very funny. What I find so funny about him is his vocabulary and his delivery. Both are great and both are on display here. There are some genuinely hilarious moments in this film. The story itself is kind of nice, but nothing to knock your socks off. Other than Cera I found the film to be rather average to be honest, nothing really that memorable other than when he flips the cereal bowl, I lost it at that. But I feel like when I wake up tomorrow I will have moved on to bigger and better things and will have forgotten about the majority of what I saw tonight.

Rating: **1/2

#1 of 2010 so far
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #25359 on: January 10, 2010, 01:10:39 AM »

The Quiet Man John Ford, 1952

A nuanced and realistic portrayal of the Irish people.