love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996054 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #25370 on: January 10, 2010, 08:22:10 AM »
Bad Boy Bubby Dir Rolf de Heer

Bubby is a mentally disturbed man who's mom has been confined to a small dirty apartment while abusing and having sex with him for all of his life.  One days his father shows up and soon Bubby kills both his mom and dad.  Not knowing what to do, he packs his dead cat into his suitcase and goes to explore the world that he has never known.  What happens is not quite the same as what happens in Being There, but then I don't think Bubby ever had a TV to watch.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #25371 on: January 10, 2010, 09:23:05 AM »
Inglourious Basterds (rewatch)

Oh my god, I loved this even more.  Now that I wasn't so engrossed in following the story I could really see some of the stuff going into the making of it and was even more impressed.  Picked up more of the spaghetti western references too, like the whole opening sequence, which seemed overly long the first time I saw it (impatient for it to get going).

Another thing I noticed--German dialogue translator was Tom Tywer.  Heh.

A+ and probably my #1 movie of 2009, at least until I finish watching all the end of year and DVD stuff.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #25372 on: January 10, 2010, 09:39:55 AM »
The Best Of Youth (Marco Tullio Giordana)

One of the best films I've ever seen. Never mind the length, see it.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #25373 on: January 10, 2010, 09:49:14 AM »

IDrinkYourMilkshake

• Elite Member
  • a souless automaton who can't feel any emotion
« Reply #25374 on: January 10, 2010, 10:10:05 AM »
The Brothers Bloom

Very Wes Anderson, but i enjoyed it. Mark Ruffalo's always watchable.
"What should have been an enjoyable 90 minutes of nubile, high-school flesh meeting a frenzy of blood-caked blades, becomes instead an exploitational and complex parable of the conflicting demands of agrarianism and artistry. I voted a miss."

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #25375 on: January 10, 2010, 10:12:56 AM »
The Brothers Bloom

That bothers me. The film is in no way like a Wes Anderson film. No way. Care to explain in what ways you thought it was?
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #25376 on: January 10, 2010, 10:38:02 AM »
The Time Traveller's Wife

Sure it's not exactly Casablanca, sure some bits of it make very little sense and some bits are just ridiculous time travelling foetus' indeed and I absolutely accept it could easily be tore apart.  But you know what? I don't care.  I like Eric Bana, Rachel McAdams is always brilliant, it's got Stephen Tobolowsky in a small role and I like cheesy romance at times.  I was very happy to spend 2 hours with it, and pretty much the only slight issue with it was I didn't see enough of Henry falling in love with Clare.  But I really enjoyed it nonetheless.

3.5/5

IDrinkYourMilkshake

• Elite Member
  • a souless automaton who can't feel any emotion
« Reply #25377 on: January 10, 2010, 10:42:19 AM »
The Brothers Bloom

That bothers me. The film is in no way like a Wes Anderson film. No way. Care to explain in what ways you thought it was?

Well stylistically it reminded me a lot of Bottle Rocket, Rushmore, Royal Tenenbaums etc. The opening section with the kids and the third person narrative brought WA to mind, especially when young Stephen revealed the first con plans to young Bloom. I immediately thought of Bottle Rocket/Royal Tenenbaums. The pace of the intro (the pace of the whole thing, but particularly the intro), with the very precise pans, movements with the camera and facial expressions/close ups were very Anderson-esque.  "Bang Bang" is straight out of a Wes Anderson film. The whole film has a kind of quirky, surface whimsy to it that is very typical of WA. Lots of visual gags.

Its differences were there too, though - it has more emotional depth than WA with more focus on the relationships between the characters.

I enjoyed it!
"What should have been an enjoyable 90 minutes of nubile, high-school flesh meeting a frenzy of blood-caked blades, becomes instead an exploitational and complex parable of the conflicting demands of agrarianism and artistry. I voted a miss."

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #25378 on: January 10, 2010, 10:43:47 AM »
#14.
Gomorra (Matteo Gorrone, 2008) -

It was a very beautifully shot film, I will give it that. But it never grabbed my full attention and seemed to jump around too much, never hitting a rhythm or flow. I can see the acclaim for this, I really can, but it just wasn't for me apart from the great images the filmmakers captured on screen. It had its moments, but overall I came away disappointed.

Rating: **1/2
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #25379 on: January 10, 2010, 10:45:47 AM »
You counting that as a 2009 film?