love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996762 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #25380 on: January 10, 2010, 10:47:22 AM »
The Brothers Bloom

Very Wes Anderson, but i enjoyed it. Mark Ruffalo's always watchable.

That bothers me. The film is in no way like a Wes Anderson film. No way. Care to explain in what ways you thought it was?

Well stylistically it reminded me a lot of Bottle Rocket, Rushmore, Royal Tenenbaums etc. The opening section with the kids and the third person narrative brought WA to mind, especially when young Stephen revealed the first con plans to young Bloom. I immediately thought of Bottle Rocket/Royal Tenenbaums. The pace of the intro (the pace of the whole thing, but particularly the intro), with the very precise pans, movements with the camera and facial expressions/close ups were very Anderson-esque.  "Bang Bang" is straight out of a Wes Anderson film. The whole film has a kind of quirky, surface whimsy to it that is very typical of WA. Lots of visual gags.

Its differences were there too, though - it has more emotional depth than WA with more focus on the relationships between the characters.

I enjoyed it!

How is it that I can think you're so wrong while also agreeing that it's a good film?
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #25381 on: January 10, 2010, 10:51:44 AM »
Metallica: Some Kind of Monster - fantastic doc.  on what, i'm not sure. i've never listened to Metallica, and have kind of hated them/Lars since the Napster whining, but something here works.  though it doesn't seem quite right, i think i like it is a record of the creative process, or maybe, more generically, the working process.  pretty great portrait of the characters, too.  didn't care too much for Berlinger's Crude, but i am excited to revisit Brother's Keeper and finally check the Paradise Lost films
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #25382 on: January 10, 2010, 10:58:32 AM »
Metallica: Some Kind of Monster - fantastic doc.  on what, i'm not sure. i've never listened to Metallica, and have kind of hated them/Lars since the Napster whining, but something here works.  though it doesn't seem quite right, i think i like it is a record of the creative process, or maybe, more generically, the working process.  pretty great portrait of the characters, too.  didn't care too much for Berlinger's Crude, but i am excited to revisit Brother's Keeper and finally check the Paradise Lost films

Paradise Lost
was the documentary that made me get into docs. After watching it I wasn't sure what to believe and that is exactly what is so powerful about this documentary.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

IDrinkYourMilkshake

• Elite Member
  • a souless automaton who can't feel any emotion
« Reply #25383 on: January 10, 2010, 11:04:17 AM »
The Brothers Bloom

Very Wes Anderson, but i enjoyed it. Mark Ruffalo's always watchable.

That bothers me. The film is in no way like a Wes Anderson film. No way. Care to explain in what ways you thought it was?

Well stylistically it reminded me a lot of Bottle Rocket, Rushmore, Royal Tenenbaums etc. The opening section with the kids and the third person narrative brought WA to mind, especially when young Stephen revealed the first con plans to young Bloom. I immediately thought of Bottle Rocket/Royal Tenenbaums. The pace of the intro (the pace of the whole thing, but particularly the intro), with the very precise pans, movements with the camera and facial expressions/close ups were very Anderson-esque.  "Bang Bang" is straight out of a Wes Anderson film. The whole film has a kind of quirky, surface whimsy to it that is very typical of WA. Lots of visual gags.

Its differences were there too, though - it has more emotional depth than WA with more focus on the relationships between the characters.

I enjoyed it!

How is it that I can think you're so wrong while also agreeing that it's a good film?

Its only a surface thing - high attention to design, wide compositions etc.

Ive just listened to the FS review, i think its Matt who says that this doesnt get suffocated by its style, and has more compassion for its characters, than Wes Anderson films can. Thats probably right.
"What should have been an enjoyable 90 minutes of nubile, high-school flesh meeting a frenzy of blood-caked blades, becomes instead an exploitational and complex parable of the conflicting demands of agrarianism and artistry. I voted a miss."

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #25384 on: January 10, 2010, 11:20:58 AM »
You counting that as a 2009 film?

nope. I go by the academy guidelines. It's just something in my head. It was nominated last year so it's 2008 for me regardless of its filmspot eligibility. I'm just weird like that.

EDIT: Well apparently it wasn't nominated last year, though I thought it was. But it was eligible last year and it was nominated for the Golden Globe so it's still a 2008 for me.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 11:25:19 AM by Corndog »
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25385 on: January 10, 2010, 11:22:12 AM »
It's a pity the album that came out of this was crap though.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #25386 on: January 10, 2010, 12:11:46 PM »
Lemme first say that I love the love for The Lady Eve and (I think) The Quiet Man. Moving on...

Millennium Actress.

This was pretty great. I had no idea what I was getting into. I didn't even read the back of the DVD case. This made for an enjoyable if a little confounding experience. By the end of the film I was totally wrapped up in it and it got a bit dusty. So, watch it.

A.

Halloween (2007?).

I initially turned this off about 5 minutes in when we were getting Rob Zombie's patented white trash thing. I just don't get his fascination with that. This time I turned it on about 10 minutes in and Michael was finally killing some people. However, this immediately turned me off. People? As in more than one? As in show as much gore and shit as you can? The great thing about the original Halloween was that it was mostly goreless and even mostly murder-less. It relied on tension and scary shots to make the movie terrifying. This didn't have that. If it was scary in a different way it'd be fine, but it wasn't scary. Having Mike kill a bunch of people (not 5 minutes go by when he doesn't start killing) does not make him scarier. Explaining his back story actually made him less scary.

All that being said, I did like parts of it. The girl who played Laurie was good and Malcolm McDowell was a good replacement for Donald Pleasance. And some of the references to the original (Don't Fear the Reaper and the pumpkin) were fun, though Zombie missed an opportunity to replace the original The Thing From Another World with Carpenter's The Thing. Anyways, this wasn't as horrible as it could have been, just not good.

C-.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #25387 on: January 10, 2010, 12:17:37 PM »
"Bang Bang" is straight out of a Wes Anderson film.
Using a non-white person as a prop is right out of the Wes playbook.

Metallica: Some Kind of Monster - fantastic doc. 
Yep.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 12:19:52 PM by matt the movie watcher »
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #25388 on: January 10, 2010, 12:18:43 PM »
"Bang Bang" is straight out of a Wes Anderson film.
Using a non-white person as a prop is right out of the Wes playbook.

How about making her one of the coolest characters in the movie? I'm not that familiar with Wes' playbook.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #25389 on: January 10, 2010, 01:03:09 PM »

Halloween (2007?).

I initially turned this off about 5 minutes in when we were getting Rob Zombie's patented white trash thing. I just don't get his fascination with that. This time I turned it on about 10 minutes in and Michael was finally killing some people. However, this immediately turned me off. People? As in more than one? As in show as much gore and shit as you can? The great thing about the original Halloween was that it was mostly goreless and even mostly murder-less. It relied on tension and scary shots to make the movie terrifying. This didn't have that. If it was scary in a different way it'd be fine, but it wasn't scary. Having Mike kill a bunch of people (not 5 minutes go by when he doesn't start killing) does not make him scarier. Explaining his back story actually made him less scary.

All that being said, I did like parts of it. The girl who played Laurie was good and Malcolm McDowell was a good replacement for Donald Pleasance. And some of the references to the original (Don't Fear the Reaper and the pumpkin) were fun, though Zombie missed an opportunity to replace the original The Thing From Another World with Carpenter's The Thing. Anyways, this wasn't as horrible as it could have been, just not good.

C-.

Yeah, I felt very similar, but Halloween 2 is remarkably bad.  I didn't mind Laurie in the first, but I don't think I'll ever be able to watch her in anything after 2, she was so obnoxiously awful.  My pick for the acting Razzie.  The second is completely off putting.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007