Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996818 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #25450 on: January 11, 2010, 08:53:07 AM »
This Needs A Poll!

I think I have to go watch Munich as i do not want to vote for any of the others.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #25451 on: January 11, 2010, 09:50:32 AM »

My Man Godfrey Gregory La Cava, 1936

Liked it more than The Thin Man.

Boooo! The on-screen connection between William Powell and Myrna Loy cannot be topped!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 09:54:00 AM by winrit »
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #25452 on: January 11, 2010, 10:10:31 AM »
All About My Mother (Pedro Almodovar)

I suspect that I may not be sophisticated, nor learned, enough to do more than skim the surface of this film. Am I wrong or is it just an interesting soap opera? I didn't love it but I won't forget it.

3/4

winrit

• Elite Member
« Reply #25453 on: January 11, 2010, 10:18:34 AM »

I suspect that I may not be sophisticated, nor learned, enough to do more than skim the surface of this film. Am I wrong or is it just an interesting soap opera? I didn't love it but I won't forget it.

3/4

The best thing about Almodovar is how he takes characters that normally wouldn't get a lot of respect and makes you feel for them and understand them.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #25454 on: January 11, 2010, 10:35:55 AM »

3/4

The best thing about Almodovar is how he takes characters that normally wouldn't get a lot of respect and makes you feel for them and understand them.

Hmm, interesting. And I see your point.

IDrinkYourMilkshake

• Elite Member
  • a souless automaton who can't feel any emotion
« Reply #25455 on: January 11, 2010, 10:56:09 AM »
Humpday

Enjoyable, funny, well performed. Not sure its the best male performace of the year, as per Adams top 5 - if anything i thought the other guy (i forget his name, and am too lazy to check imdb) was the better performace as the wannabe beatnik hippie.

This is better than any Judd Apatow film.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 11:10:01 AM by IDrinkYourMilkshake »
"What should have been an enjoyable 90 minutes of nubile, high-school flesh meeting a frenzy of blood-caked blades, becomes instead an exploitational and complex parable of the conflicting demands of agrarianism and artistry. I voted a miss."

winrit

• Elite Member
« Reply #25456 on: January 11, 2010, 10:56:40 AM »

3/4

Almodovar has a lot of care and respect for his characters. I haven't seen anyone else do what he does with characters that are typically considered the margins of society. Now go watch Hable con Ella (Talk to Her)! Roujin will tell you you Talk to Her is clearly the better movie.  ;)

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #25457 on: January 11, 2010, 11:07:59 AM »
Bright Star - Jane Campion, 2009

It's a damn shame they chose to make this film a biopic instead of focussing on a fictional poet who could have had a more interesting life. The film is bland and painfully straight-forward, without an interesting subplot or music or pretty shots or anything at all to break up the monotony. The poetry became tiresome as it dragged on; emotion was conveyed more effectively in the everyday explanations such as when John explains that you don't dive into a lake to go to the shore, but to luxuriate in the water. These musings kept things afloat but they were all too infrequent. Also, comparing Abbie Cornish's solid performance here with Carey Mulligan's brilliant turn in An Education is a bit embarrassing as well. 5.5/10.

I can't agree with you at all, especially the bolded part. I also saw this a couple of days ago, and thought it was incredibly beautiful. The composition of so many of the shots was so carefully planned and executed, and I found the way Campion and her director of photography used doorways and windows both to frame people/scenes and to bathe the film in that achingly bright sunlight absolutely stunning.

Where you call the film bland and painfully straight-forward, I would call it perfectly paced and understated in that it allowed me to share in Fanny's journey of (slowly, reluctantly) discovering poetry, the man John Keats, and ultimately, herself. And I can't even begin to express how impressed I was by Abbie Cornish's performance.

I will say that I can totally see how this film isn't for everyone - but for me, who loves all the things this film is (British period costume drama with literary theme), it was pretty much perfect.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #25458 on: January 11, 2010, 11:10:00 AM »
Bright Star - Jane Campion, 2009

It's a damn shame they chose to make this film a biopic instead of focussing on a fictional poet who could have had a more interesting life. The film is bland and painfully straight-forward, without an interesting subplot or music or pretty shots or anything at all to break up the monotony. The poetry became tiresome as it dragged on; emotion was conveyed more effectively in the everyday explanations such as when John explains that you don't dive into a lake to go to the shore, but to luxuriate in the water. These musings kept things afloat but they were all too infrequent. Also, comparing Abbie Cornish's solid performance here with Carey Mulligan's brilliant turn in An Education is a bit embarrassing as well. 5.5/10.

I can't agree with you at all, especially the bolded part. I also saw this a couple of days ago, and thought it was incredibly beautiful. The composition of so many of the shots was so carefully planned and executed, and I found the way Campion and her director of photography used doorways and windows both to frame people/scenes and to bathe the film in that achingly bright sunlight absolutely stunning.

Where you call the film bland and painfully straight-forward, I would call it perfectly paced and understated in that it allowed me to share in Fanny's journey of (slowly, reluctantly) discovering poetry, the man John Keats, and ultimately, herself. And I can't even begin to express how impressed I was by Abbie Cornish's performance.

I will say that I can totally see how this film isn't for everyone - but for me, who loves all the things this film is (British period costume drama with literary theme), it was pretty much perfect.
Emiliana to the rescue! (I love you, Em. :)  )

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #25459 on: January 11, 2010, 11:11:15 AM »

3/4

Almodovar has a lot of care and respect for his characters. I haven't seen anyone else do what he does with characters that are typically considered the margins of society. Now go watch Hable con Ella (Talk to Her)! Roujin will tell you you Talk to Her is clearly the better movie.  ;)

Ah, I actually did watch that about a year ago. I prefer it to AAMM even though I'd rate my experience about that same (3/4).

I still hope to watch Volver. Other than that, I couldn't name you another of his films. But if Volver really grabs me that may change.