Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997223 times)

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #25460 on: January 11, 2010, 11:16:16 AM »
All About My Mother (Pedro Almodovar)

I suspect that I may not be sophisticated, nor learned, enough to do more than skim the surface of this film. Am I wrong or is it just an interesting soap opera? I didn't love it but I won't forget it.

3/4

The best thing about Almodovar is how he takes characters that normally wouldn't get a lot of respect and makes you feel for them and understand them.

That's what I got out of watching All About my Mother too, which was only the second Almovodar I had seen.  The plots are a bit wild, but the fact that they involve what, by regular cinema standards, 'offbeat' characters, they become interesting, especially since the director treats them with great care and respect. They aren't present to be on the receiving end of some jokes.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #25461 on: January 11, 2010, 11:21:30 AM »

Finally, I present you with some slightly coherrent thoughts on that new James Cameron movie everyone's been talking about. Check 'em out at TheReelists.com.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #25462 on: January 11, 2010, 11:22:27 AM »
The thing that surprised me most about Talk to Her was that it had one of the most egregious characters who does the most horrible thing and here I am feeling bad for him and crying about it all. That takes some talent on Almodovar's part. Gets me every time I watch it.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #25463 on: January 11, 2010, 11:23:44 AM »
The thing that surprised me most about Talk to Her was that it had one of the most egregious characters who does the most horrible thing and here I am feeling bad for him and crying about it all. That takes some talent on Almodovar's part. Gets me every time I watch it.

Ironically, that is the other Almovodar film I've seen. I didn't feel as much pitty for the character I presume you're talking about. Or at least, not as much pitty as you did.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #25464 on: January 11, 2010, 11:31:53 AM »

Ironically, that is the other Almovodar film I've seen. I didn't feel as much pitty for the character I presume you're talking about. Or at least, not as much pitty as you did.

Looking back on it I was surprised I felt any pity at all. I mean the guy is totally creeped out. I guess Almodovar helps you understand why the other lead character might care at all for this guy.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #25465 on: January 11, 2010, 11:36:10 AM »
Rio Bravo (1959, Howard Hawks)

While listening through all the Filmspotting archives I built a list of film recommendations from the guys- this is one of the many I wrote down on that list.  Adam and Sam included this in their Westerns marathon and spoke pretty highly of it.  Me?  It was a struggle to get through.  In fact I must admit watching it in like half hour chunks because I just kept losing interest.  I did want to fight through the end because I was pretty curious about the Dean Martin / Ricky Nelson duet that Adam spoke so highly off.  Sorry to say it seemed terribly out of place.  It's so obvious that it's a studio production overlayed over the top of the film soundtrack - which I guess I've forgiven in other movies, but more because the song had more contextually meaning.  Here it just seemed like a reason to have a single for the film.  Sorry I didn't like it more.  It was a western in which the furthest a cowboy travelled by horse was two blocks - from the jailhouse to the saloon.  

It was pretty cool to see all these actors so young - in particular Angie Dickinson.  Believe it or not this was my first John Wayne movie.  Hopefully he has more to do other films!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 01:40:55 PM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #25466 on: January 11, 2010, 11:51:24 AM »
Get thee to The Searchers!
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #25467 on: January 11, 2010, 11:59:45 AM »
Get thee to The Searchers!

Yeah!  That's the one I was thinking of!  Will do?  (wonder if this plays on AMC? )
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #25468 on: January 11, 2010, 12:01:46 PM »
Hmm, that's too bad ferris. I think the highlight for me was just watching all the guys hang out, and the banter that goes on between them. What's more Wayne has such a great screen presence, and Martin was so charasmatic... I enjoyed them even in the small scenes.

I think the most 'active' I've seen Wayne (which still isn't very active), was in El Dorado. It's got James Caan and Robert Mitchum in it. Maybe that'd be more enjoyable. I liked it a lot. But then I loved Rio Bravo so maybe you shouldn't take my advice.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #25469 on: January 11, 2010, 12:08:40 PM »
Also, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is a good one, Jimmy Stewart and Lee Marvin and John Wayne! Also, Vera Miles.

And The Quiet Man is a lot of fun. And totally different from the rest of these.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

love