love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996836 times)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #25480 on: January 11, 2010, 02:19:32 PM »
Next Floor
Odd, a visual piece.
It's also very well done and can be read as a screed against the rich, if you're in that kind of mood.

I agree it is well done, the odd (for me) does not imply bad, just quirky, unusual. I did not see it as a screed against the rich more against greed and how with continuing greed we sink lower and lower, but those thoughts came much later (ok, after having read your comment), it was the rather sumptuous visual that got me first.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #25481 on: January 11, 2010, 02:29:54 PM »
Get thee to The Searchers!

Yeah!  That's the one I was thinking of!  Will do?  (wonder if this plays on AMC? )

If it does, make sure not to watch it on there.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #25482 on: January 11, 2010, 02:31:09 PM »
Full Monty is pure genius.

Anyways.

Lenny

I don't know, based on what I've seen, if Bob Fosse is a good film director or not.  But I'll be damned if he's not interesting.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #25483 on: January 11, 2010, 02:45:14 PM »
H G Wells: World with the World 2006

Another Michael Sheen movie, another transformative performance. A biopic of, you guessed it, H G Wells, a man I knew little about except his brilliant writing. The words spoken by Wells in the movie came from either his autobiography or his other books (according to the blurb at the beginning), which is important to know given some of the things he says in the movie. Unfortunately this is a mishmash of movie, that jumps around in time more than his character in The Time Traveller. Still we get a look into his marriage; mistresses; future predictions (e.g TV, military tank, atomic bomb); and politics. Worth a look, but mainly because of an interest in H G Wells the person.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #25484 on: January 11, 2010, 04:07:43 PM »
I Sell the Dead

This was recommended by my Festival Friends and they lent me a screener from their vault.  Mind you, these aren't people who usually watch B-Movies or Horror Films, and this selection proves that.  This was terrible.  A really poorly executed B-Movie.  The first real Comedic/Horror scene with a vampire is the worst stylistic rip off of Evil Dead.  Its so poorly done, and they don't even try to do anything other than rip off Sam Raimi's style wholesale for the scene.  I wanted to turn it off after this, but decided I owed my friends and their taste more than 15 minutes, but just after the half way point I was pretty miserable so I killed it. 

Grade F
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

IDrinkYourMilkshake

• Elite Member
  • a souless automaton who can't feel any emotion
« Reply #25485 on: January 11, 2010, 04:49:53 PM »
I'm Not There

I love what Todd Haynes does with this, switching characters/actors and matching a visual style to suit different aspects of Dylans life and persona.  Its surreal, irreverant, fun... I think this has a lot in common with 24 Hour Party People, neither of them are typical biopics and both of them are all the better for that. This suits Dylan's music and myth perfectly. I remember when i first saw it i had a big row with a friend, also a huge Dylan fan, who said it was "disrespectful". Id rather watch this than that awful Patti Smith doc. Dylan spent a good portion of his career making fun of the world.

The only faults id pick are that it perhaps has a few too many little tidbits thrown in for Dylan connoisseur's, which made it a nightmare to watch in the cinema as people were constantly nudging or whispering to each other to see if the other one got the reference, and also Christian Bale is not particularly good.

Marcus Carl(?) Franklin is very good.

Up there with 24HPP as one of my favourite biopics.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 04:52:32 PM by IDrinkYourMilkshake »
"What should have been an enjoyable 90 minutes of nubile, high-school flesh meeting a frenzy of blood-caked blades, becomes instead an exploitational and complex parable of the conflicting demands of agrarianism and artistry. I voted a miss."

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25486 on: January 11, 2010, 04:59:46 PM »
The Messenger (2009)

This is the least enjoyable film I have seen in some time. It rivals Requiem for a Dream in terms of how little I liked watching this movie. I am not sure if it's good, I guess it's good, but it's not enjoyable in the least.

Don't watch it.

Grade:

As a film: B
Enjoyability: F

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #25487 on: January 11, 2010, 05:40:07 PM »
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #25488 on: January 11, 2010, 06:35:58 PM »
Adam (2009, Max Mayer)

I liked it. Solid movie. I came away with lots of questions about love.

Grade: B
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

tjwells

• Elite Member
« Reply #25489 on: January 11, 2010, 08:02:25 PM »
A Serious Man

With A Serious Man, the BRILLIANT new film from the Coen Brothers, I think they officially pass Tarantino as the greatest filmmakers of the past twenty years. With the exception of two missteps (The Ladykillers and Burn After Reading), all of their output is at least good (O Brother, Where Art Thou?, The Man Who Wasn’t There), but, more often than not, brilliant (Miller’s Crossing, Barton Fink, Fargo, The Big Lebowski, No Country for Old Men, etc.). Here, they draw on their life experiences growing up Jewish in Minnesota in the late 60s, to create an extraordinary meditation on the meaninglessness of life and the inevitability of death. Everything is incredible; the always slightly disturbing but never over-the-top score, the over-meticulous (in a good way) set design and art direction, Deakins’ obviously perfect cinematography, the pitch black comedy of the script (“It’s gonna be FINE.”), and, most importantly, the lead performance of Michael Stuhlbarg. The Coen Brothers made the smart decision of filling a large portion of their cast with stage actors, and they couldn’t have made a better choice with their lead. A lot has been said of the ending, that it’s too bleak, out of place, etc., etc., but I think it works just fine, and keeps with the feeling of dread hovering over the entire film. Overall, one of the best movies of 2009, and quite possibly a new inclusion into the Coen Brothers top 5 films.

love