love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997704 times)

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #25500 on: January 11, 2010, 10:24:13 PM »
Daybreakers

I'm a huge fan of Undead so I was pretty excited for this.  I thoroughly enjoyed this.  Now I'll admit, there are a number of silly contrivances, but when taken as a whole, the contrivances work really well with a number of incredibly well thought out details.  And its these details make a very well crafted world.  I bought it, and liked it.   Its a bit talky, but when the gore flows its AMAZING.  Bodies explode like water balloons of blood or great balls of fire.  I loved the direction the third act takes.  I even loved the overtly gratuitous slowmo shot.  If you've seen the film, you'll know what I'm talking about.  This film is not without its problems, but I had so much fun I'd like to revisit this world again.  Would love a sequel.  Also, as much as Undead had me on the Brothers Spierig's bandwagon, I'm comepletely jazzed for whatever they do next.

Grade B+
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #25501 on: January 11, 2010, 10:30:57 PM »

Scarface Howard Hawks + Richard Rosson, 1932

Pretty, pretty good. Paul Muni rises through the ranks as he takes over the South and then the North side, ruthlessly killing everyone/thing in sight. The film's best sequence is the rat-a-tat-tat machine gun killing montage where Muni destroys all his opponents. I didn't particularly like Muni that much. He seemed like this hulking monster just ready to unleash all those incestuous feelings (hey, they copied that from De Palma's original!) raging inside him. Of course, you know how this ends, but it's still pretty awesome. All those X's, that long single-take opening with the whistling and the awesomeness, and even though sometimes it's get bogged down by crappy stuff that's annoying to me for reasons unforgivable, I still had a lot of fun with it, even though I couldn't understand anything that Muni said for the last 10 or so minutes. He was just saying cocksucker over and over again, right?

Sadly, [noembed]this[/noembed] is better than anything in the movie.

I'll agree with all of that.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #25502 on: January 11, 2010, 10:35:23 PM »

A gorgeous, unfortunately boring turd.  The last 30-40 min. of action were excellent but not enough to make up for the absolute slog of a story that came before it.  The 3D was mostly very good, though most of the scenes with a lot of motion had some serious blur issues.

There was a 30 min. delay due to technical issues so at least I got a free IMAX ticket out of it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 10:37:11 PM by jbissell »

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #25503 on: January 11, 2010, 10:41:31 PM »
Flywheel

There are some decent evangelical Christian movies.  This isn't one of them. 1/5

The one good line:  Two overweight guys struggling to get out of an MG.  Comment: "You look like two marshmallows squeezing out of a Hot Wheels car."  Insulting to overweight folks, but funny.

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25504 on: January 11, 2010, 10:47:24 PM »
LORT: The Return of the Kind (Extended Edition)

This is easily the best fantasy movie ever made. It blows away Star Wars or Avatar. The story telling is pitch perfect and the CGI is amazing.
Yep, that's about right.

The Messenger (2009)

This is the least enjoyable film I have seen in some time. It rivals Requiem for a Dream in terms of how little I liked watching this movie. I am not sure if it's good, I guess it's good, but it's not enjoyable in the least.

Enjoyability: F
I don't enjoy Requiem at all but it's one of the best films I've ever seen. Entertainment is overrated and not why I watch movies. Let go of such notions and an endless universe of masochistic movie-watching will open up before you.

A gorgeous, unfortunately boring turd.  The last 30-40 min. of action were excellent but not enough to make up for the absolute slog of a story that came before it.  The 3D was mostly very good, though most of the scenes with a lot of motion had some serious blur issues.
I knew I could count on the monkey.

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #25505 on: January 11, 2010, 10:52:42 PM »
My Oscar trek continue with Brothers.

Brothers[2009]
An intense portrait of a soldier dealing with the horrors of war and a family trying to save itself.  There are absolutely gut wrenching scenes which push this into a higher caliber of film than the standard dramatic fluff, and make it well worth the watch.
Rating: 4/5

Full Review + Oscar Forcast
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #25506 on: January 11, 2010, 11:22:22 PM »
Daybreakers
Its a bit talky, but when the gore flows its AMAZING.
You know exactly what to say to move a film high up my Must See list.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #25507 on: January 11, 2010, 11:31:06 PM »
A Perfect Getaway

One of the most uneven films I've ever seen.  Photography is remarkably good for a mid-budget thriller.  Dialogue is pretty bad, but the twisty plot, though nothing remarkable, is entertaining.  There's a long build up, which isn't a bad idea, but not much interesting happens along the way.  Then there's an excruciatingly long flashback sequence that looks like a perfume commercial that spells absolutely everything out and reveals all the information the filmmakers deliberately withheld from the start.  However, things get really campy and really fun with some crazy editing and totally over the top performances from Zahn and Olyphant, but alas, the climax is pretty disappointing.  Wouldn't say it's a perfect getaway, but there are some worthwhile moments.

C+

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #25508 on: January 11, 2010, 11:50:52 PM »
World's Greatest Dad

You try and go a whole day without Disney and you just can't. I'll show you World's Greatest Dad. No! I'll show you, TJ, I'll show you! Now I want to watch Wizards.

EDIT: I wasn't really trying, nor do I want to, it just so happened that I watched little television and listened to no music today, but still...

EDIT 2: I knew there was something about that Heather girl! Talent must run in that family.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 11:54:58 PM by FLYmeatwad »

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #25509 on: January 11, 2010, 11:59:44 PM »
The Cove (2009, Louie Psihoyos)

My January 2010 MDC

The story is truly fascinating, especially as it unfolds and you understand the scope of what is being uncovered.  I felt a little bit wanting from the storytelling - preferring more emphasis on some elements and less on others...But I need to emphasize these are minor gripes.  

And you know what - it was nice to see some other government besides the US be the jerks for a change.  

(more...)
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

love