Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5995924 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #25510 on: January 12, 2010, 12:04:51 AM »
Food Inc. (Robert Kenner, 2009)

Pretty good. I like to think of myself as decently educated on this topic, so most of it wasn't much new to me, but I thought it presented a nice overview of the history and current state of the food industry. And I'm all for having this kind of information getting more exposure. Some of the examples of how far reaching and sleazy the big business and political entities can be are really disturbing.

Well for me I like how well the filmmakers laid out the case.  There are paranoid ramblings people make about strange bedfellows so it's an argument that folks can get numb to.  Here we got specifics.  Especially the court stuff with the seed shucker dude
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #25511 on: January 12, 2010, 12:22:28 AM »
Winter Light - Ingmar Bergman, 1963

The bleakest Bergman I've seen yet. We follow a pastor, his mistress and a married couple as they fight off the cold and question their faith. The camera lingers and everything takes a lot of time which just forces you to dwell in the desperation. There's a wonderful speech about the anguish of Christ before his death: how his physical suffering paled in comparison to his mental torment. There's also a scathing personal attack that is unforgiving in its detail. This Faith Trilogy is exhausting. Winter Light is good but hard to stomach. 7/10.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #25512 on: January 12, 2010, 01:44:33 AM »

Humpday 8.5/10

So I haven't seen Mark Duplass in any of his films, but I enjoyed his performance on the FX series The League this fall.  There's something about him that just feels so natural, watching him is just like hanging out with a close friend.  Everything about this film felt so real and that has everything to do with the performances of the three leads.  There was never a moment when I didn't believe that these two were close friends that had gone down different life paths but still feel a need to prove/justify their decision to each other.  I'm starting to hit a point in my life where I can really relate to Ben and Andrew.  I have friends that are getting married and starting families and I can feel us drifting apart.  It definitely made me appreciate the comedy of their relationship.  I wasn't totally sold on the camerawork towards the beginning, but I warmed up to it as a nice way of capturing the intimacies between the main characters and giving the whole thing a real doc feel.  Watching the two play chicken is hilarious especially watching Ben dance around the topic at dinner with his wife.  Even though the film spends the most time on the two friends, I thought Alycia Delmore's performance as Ben's wife, Anna, was excellent.  She could have easily been the buzzkill wife but she manages to far exceed the one-note role this would be were the film written by an Apatow-type (of course it was written/directed by Lynn Shelton).  This feels like a real marriage.  This is a very funny film with a real honest heart.  I'd be surprised if it wasn't in my top 10 for '09.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25513 on: January 12, 2010, 01:51:46 AM »
yay another Humpday convert.  ;D

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #25514 on: January 12, 2010, 05:38:53 AM »
Of Time And The City
 This is the kind of film someone touts because they want to feel better than everyone else

Or it could be that some people were actually moved by the film.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Steven O. Selsnik

• Elite Member
  • I don't mind a parasite.Iobject to a cut-rate one
« Reply #25515 on: January 12, 2010, 06:04:09 AM »
THIS IS SPINAL TAP

Maybe the 20th or so time I have watched this movie. My favorite parts have to be Stonehenge, Saucy Jack, Mime is Money, Airport Security, 11, Spinal Tap then Puppet Show, and Lick My Love Pump.   

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #25516 on: January 12, 2010, 06:07:50 AM »
Telling someone they look like an Austrailian's Nightmare is my favorite diss after that movie.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #25517 on: January 12, 2010, 08:19:58 AM »
Daybreakers
Its a bit talky, but when the gore flows its AMAZING.
You know exactly what to say to move a film high up my Must See list.

I hope you see it and enjoy it.  I laughed a lot, and so did the group in front of me.  My brother and his friend didn't like it at all, but the cool upstart actress they brought loved it too, so that was cool!
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

IDrinkYourMilkshake

• Elite Member
  • a souless automaton who can't feel any emotion
« Reply #25518 on: January 12, 2010, 08:33:28 AM »
The Hangover

Fear and Loathing 00's style ie with a bunch of desperately unfunny, uninteresting dipshit man-boys.

KERRRRRAYYYYYYZEEEEE!!!!!!!

Grade: Kill Me.
"What should have been an enjoyable 90 minutes of nubile, high-school flesh meeting a frenzy of blood-caked blades, becomes instead an exploitational and complex parable of the conflicting demands of agrarianism and artistry. I voted a miss."

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #25519 on: January 12, 2010, 11:35:51 AM »
Eagle Eye

This was much better than it looked.  The action is really intense and serves to drive the story forward, something that's missing from most modern action films.  Its fun, but unfortunately the story takes a turn for the predictable during the second act.  If they had made a slight flip flop in the story it would have been MUCH better.  Still its loads of fun.

Grade B, bt I'm teetering on a B+
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007