love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997838 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #25520 on: January 12, 2010, 11:42:11 AM »
The Hangover

Fear and Loathing 00's style ie with a bunch of desperately unfunny, uninteresting dipshit man-boys.

KERRRRRAYYYYYYZEEEEE!!!!!!!

Grade: Kill Me.

Understand the review.  I had a much better experience.  Was there opening weekend with a vibrant crowd.  I had a great time with it - but I'm guessing when I rewatch on video I'll be scratching my head as to what was so great about it.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25521 on: January 12, 2010, 12:37:06 PM »
Bright Star

A thing of beauty is a joy forever...

Keats' most famous line, from his Edymion , perfectly sums up this joyous film. I must confess that I have been a Keats fan since I was a teenager, so this film would have to be really awful for me not to love it. Warnings aside, I did in fact love it.

The great beauty of Poetry is, that it makes every thing every place interesting.
-John Keats to his brother George

This is not a traditional biopic, focusing more on Keats and Brawne than on Keats' life as a whole. The leads, Ben Wishaw and Abbie Cornish are delightful and Campion has created a story with all the wit and playfulness of a Jane Austen novel.

We fall in love with Keats and Brawne as they fall in love with each other.

Beauty is truth, truth beauty,' - that is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.

Campion and Greig Fraiser create a 19th century England very much like Keats poems. Beautiful, romantic, and impressionistic. She uses out-of-focus shots in several scenes to paint a picture of the English countryside that Monet and Renoir would surely appreciate.

The point of diving in a lake is not immediately to swim to the shore.

Keats says this to Fanny Brawne when she is hopelessly trying to find the "point" of a poem. This fruitless search for the meaning of everything in literature is what eventually turned me off English as an academic career choice in university. It is also the thing that drives me to love obtuse poets like Leonard Cohen. I have always loved poetry, not for it's "meaning" but for it's experience.

Here lies one whose name was writ in water.
-written by Keats to be placed on his tombstone

The sadness of his life is he thought he was a failure and would soon be forgotten.

Grade: A-
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 12:45:23 PM by Clovis8 »

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #25522 on: January 12, 2010, 12:50:09 PM »
Bright Star

Grade: A-
Yay!! So glad you loved it, Clovis - fabulous write-up.

IDrinkYourMilkshake

• Elite Member
  • a souless automaton who can't feel any emotion
« Reply #25523 on: January 12, 2010, 01:29:30 PM »
The Hangover

Fear and Loathing 00's style ie with a bunch of desperately unfunny, uninteresting dipshit man-boys.

KERRRRRAYYYYYYZEEEEE!!!!!!!

Grade: Kill Me.

Understand the review.  I had a much better experience.  Was there opening weekend with a vibrant crowd.  I had a great time with it - but I'm guessing when I rewatch on video I'll be scratching my head as to what was so great about it.

Maybe a better atmosphere might have helped it. Undoubtably, in fact. I saw it on my own, on a tuesday afternoon because i have no job and havnt been out since christmas. So i probably was not in the right mindset to enjoy it, but having said that i saw Humpday last night, which i liked and Spinal Tap, and Life of Brian have both made me laugh out loud within the last couple of days under the same circumstances, despite having since both many, many, many times before.

The problem i had with The Hangover is that i feel that we (as in I, as in the audience) were expected to laugh at things just because they were there;

"Mike Tyson listening to Phil Collins??!?!?!??!!?!?!??! LOL - WATEVAH!!!!!

*chuckles* its funny, cuz he's psychotic.....

and, oh, wahts this?! A CHINAMAN!!!!! BRILLLIANt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111 Definitely the funniest race - and he's swearing...... like a BLACK MAN!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D"

hold on to your sides, they might just split.

Now, where did i put Zodiac?....

EDIT: actually, to be fair, the naked guy jumping out of the car did make me chuckle
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 01:36:16 PM by IDrinkYourMilkshake »
"What should have been an enjoyable 90 minutes of nubile, high-school flesh meeting a frenzy of blood-caked blades, becomes instead an exploitational and complex parable of the conflicting demands of agrarianism and artistry. I voted a miss."

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #25524 on: January 12, 2010, 01:45:09 PM »

EDIT: actually, to be fair, the naked guy jumping out of the car did make me chuckle

Worst scene of the year! I didn't like the Hangover either, but I hate Ken Jeong.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

IDrinkYourMilkshake

• Elite Member
  • a souless automaton who can't feel any emotion
« Reply #25525 on: January 12, 2010, 01:54:17 PM »

Worst scene of the year! I didn't like the Hangover either, but I hate Ken Jeong.

I use the word "chuckle" in its loosest possible sense. It made me jump, and so briefly distracted me from the depression that watching the Hangover was.
"What should have been an enjoyable 90 minutes of nubile, high-school flesh meeting a frenzy of blood-caked blades, becomes instead an exploitational and complex parable of the conflicting demands of agrarianism and artistry. I voted a miss."

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #25526 on: January 12, 2010, 01:56:24 PM »
I don't like Ken Jeong either.  He's never acting, always performing.  But I loved the scene.  In my mind I was thinking about all the crazy things that could be in that trunk.

Naked guy with a crowbar was not one of them.

And I loved the way he literally sprung out like a jack in the box.

I defend the movie.  Laughed a lot, and the film seemed to never let one plot point settle before it hit you with the next adventure.  It hooked me right at the open, I didn't outguess the mystery, and I just laughed a lot.

...both in the theaters with a crowd and at home on DVD.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #25527 on: January 12, 2010, 01:57:40 PM »
I lol'd.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #25528 on: January 12, 2010, 01:58:13 PM »
I don't like Ken Jeong either.  He's never acting, always performing.  But I loved the scene.  In my mind I was thinking about all the crazy things that could be in that trunk.

I defend the movie.  Laughed a lot, and the film seemed to never let one plot point settle before it hit you with the next adventure.  It hooked me right at the open, I didn't outguess the mystery, and I just laughed a lot.

I like the scenes when it is just the 3 guys riffing off one another. When other people get involved (like Mike Tyson, the cops, or Ken Jeong) it really went off the rails for me.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #25529 on: January 12, 2010, 02:04:54 PM »

I like the scenes when it is just the 3 guys riffing off one another. When other people get involved (like Mike Tyson, the cops, or Ken Jeong) it really went off the rails for me.

This polarity makes me wonder if the Comedy genre is the most subjective.   I rarely watch comedies anymore - and am rarely rewarding for making exceptions.  The Hangover was a rare case where I went and enjoyed.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

love