love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996192 times)

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #25900 on: January 19, 2010, 01:37:18 AM »
I liked her more in Women on the Verge, but she's really great here, too. Specially those final moments.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #25901 on: January 19, 2010, 01:40:39 AM »
Lorna's Silence

A film I can appreciate, but had a hard time really getting into.  There's nary a sympathetic character in the film, the closest being the titular, Lorna, who spends the entire film making horrible decisions and we get to watch those awful mistakes blow up in her face.  The film is certainly well made and the performances are good, but I just had trouble connecting to this morality tale of rabid capitalism.

B

flieger

« Reply #25902 on: January 19, 2010, 01:47:05 AM »
They had a fight after Women on the Verge, didn't speak for years, and then got together again for Volver... such a pity.

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #25903 on: January 19, 2010, 02:13:49 AM »
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

After about 45 minutes, I paused the DVR, and possibly never would've come back to this, as I just wasn't enjoying it.  I didn't like Newman in this role, I didn't like Taylor at all, but then, rather than go to sleep (because who needs sleep?), I turned it back on and ended up kind of loving it.

****-**** 1/2

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #25904 on: January 19, 2010, 11:16:41 AM »
Valmont (Milos Forman, 1989)

To my knowledge there's been three American made films based on Pierre Choderlos de Laclos's Les Liaisons Dangereuses. Dangerous Liaisons (Peter Frears, 1988), Cruel Intentions (Roger Kumble, 1999), and Valmont. I can see why. It's a great story. Valmont, though, was the most interesting prospect for me because of how much I've enjoyed Forman's other films. Specifically, Amadeus, Cuckoo's Nest and Larry Flynt. Goya's Ghost not so much.

I love how it turned out. There's so much going on that I'm sure I'll get just as much out of it during a second viewing. Mostly I just appeciated the genius of the story. How simply it starts, how complex it becomes and how disastrously it ends. It doesn't have the weight of a film like Amadeus, but it has a similar vibe.

IMDB link

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 06:22:46 PM by smirnoff »

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #25905 on: January 19, 2010, 11:28:04 AM »
I like it a lot.  It was a shame it came out so shortly after Dangerous Liaisons, which really overshadowed it.

I prefer the Frears version for being more ornate and crazier and the big acting from Malkovich, Close and Pfeiffer (and Keanu!).  But Firth and Tilly and Benning are pretty good in the Forman film.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #25906 on: January 19, 2010, 11:39:25 AM »
I like it a lot.  It was a shame it came out so shortly after Dangerous Liaisons, which really overshadowed it.

I prefer the Frears version for being more ornate and crazier and the big acting from Malkovich, Close and Pfeiffer (and Keanu!).  But Firth and Tilly and Benning are pretty good in the Forman film.

And Fairuza Balk! ;)

I didn't realize so many big stars were in Frears film. You really sold me with "big acting from Malkovich". I'm going to have to check it out.

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #25907 on: January 19, 2010, 01:05:48 PM »
Yeah. I liked Valmont but really liked Dangerous Liasons

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #25908 on: January 19, 2010, 01:12:26 PM »
The Lives of Others

Astounding.  One of the greatest films of the decade, one of the best films I've seen in years. 

Grade A
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #25909 on: January 19, 2010, 01:21:17 PM »
Floored - doc on the shift of Chicago Board of Trade's business from the pit to computers.  follows a handful of colorful characters. interesting case being made for old industries drying up and going globally online; though don't feel bad for all the greedy floor traders left behind.  recommend

screening this week at Siskel. apparently last night's late screening was the first not sold out since it opened Friday, about 20 tickets shy. probably 75% of audience were traders
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

love