love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997408 times)

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #26280 on: January 26, 2010, 01:38:46 PM »
It's also really funny.

This is the main thing. It's beautiful to look at, the characters are endearing, and it's insanely funny.

Oh, did I not mention that? :D

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #26281 on: January 26, 2010, 02:19:26 PM »
The White Ribbon(2009, Haneke)

What Haneke shows us in his stark black and white imagery is the condition of people who would grow to become monsters. A question often posed when studying the Holocaust is how could an entire nation go so mad? The White Ribbon answers this question by creating a fictitious microcosm of early 1910s Germany in which repression is the predominant way of life. Repression and oppression lead to reaction, and those reactions are often more severe and heinous than the repression that spawned them.
5/5

Read the rest of my thoughts at TheReelists.com!
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #26282 on: January 26, 2010, 03:18:02 PM »
The Lives of Others (2006, Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck) Grade: A

Goose Egg Marathon Film #19

...the story is tragic in so many ways and the film does a fabulous job of staying focused on one slice of an issue ...from scene to scene, the film sets up the next plot point with so much precision, you'd think it was trying to fire up the Lem on the Apollo 13 mission...I was rivited and surprised at how many times I was surprised. (more...)

"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #26283 on: January 26, 2010, 03:19:13 PM »
Planet Terror (Robert Rodriguez, 2007)

I laughed so hard at this.  I truly love Rodriguez, mostly when he refuses to take himself seriously.  This is quite possibly the perfect example of this.  A zombie film so full of gags and "bloopers" and editing errors and mysterious props and cheesy special effects and impossible makeup and costume changes and... it was great.  The greatest "bad" movie ever.  Another good thing, though, is he allowed most of his actors to play it straight.  So it was reasonably good acting under the "worst director" ever.  So much fun.  4/5
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #26284 on: January 26, 2010, 04:44:22 PM »
Nobodies #9: Mccabe and Mrs. Miller

Sure, Altman deconstructs in the first ten minutes, turning our preconceptions about Mccabe on it's own head, but other then the obvious turning the Western hero into a man who is incompetent and runs brothels, he does not do much to the formula.

At first glance.

Read more over here

« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 04:48:27 PM by 'Noke »
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

IDrinkYourMilkshake

• Elite Member
  • a souless automaton who can't feel any emotion
« Reply #26285 on: January 26, 2010, 04:54:58 PM »
Basic Instinct
Aesthetically.... hypnotic. In parts.

Fantastic Mr Fox
I liked it a lot. Ironically enough i thought it seemed less detatched and had more warmth to it than WA films usually do. Never slowed for the whole 90 minutes and had more to it than the book, which is good because there just isnt enough content in the book (Dahl's weakest) to sustain a 90 minute film. Very good voice cast, Clooney's best film of '09 (mind you....), but Willem Defoe probably stole it for me as the Rat.

If anyone wants a good laugh they should check out the IMDB message boards on this film, there are some utterly hilarious criticisms being thrown at this;

Sample: "i found the idea of the animals..... wearing clothes a bit stupid". But apparently not the idea of wild animals of different species co-operatively organising to achieve a common goal. THAT the guy found acceptable. A lot of criticisms seem to come from Brits (or more accurately, i suspect, Englishmen) and it tends to vary from mild xenophobia ("i found the American accents offputting" - everyone knows Foxes talk like Hugh Grant!) to straight out racism ("Dumb Americans".). I know this doesnt really add anything to my review of the film but i felt i had to vent my exasperation somewhere. I wish i could attack these people. Attack them with hammers.
"What should have been an enjoyable 90 minutes of nubile, high-school flesh meeting a frenzy of blood-caked blades, becomes instead an exploitational and complex parable of the conflicting demands of agrarianism and artistry. I voted a miss."

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #26286 on: January 26, 2010, 05:00:49 PM »
Fantastic Mr. Fox

I wasn't bored with this like I was Where The Wild Things Are. It was well a well crafted, fun, family-friendly movie with a few simple take home messages. It aims for less and delivers more than its brother in indie-animation. I'm not exactly sure where top 10 of the year style love comes for this (or any of the other animated films this year, though Up is probably my favorite of them and might make a top 25) but to each their own. Definitely worth seeing.

IDrinkYourMilkshake

• Elite Member
  • a souless automaton who can't feel any emotion
« Reply #26287 on: January 26, 2010, 05:03:07 PM »
Fantastic Mr. Fox

I wasn't bored with this like I was Where The Wild Things Are. It was well a well crafted, fun, family-friendly movie with a few simple take home messages. It aims for less and delivers more than its brother in indie-animation. I'm not exactly sure where top 10 of the year style love comes for this (or any of the other animated films this year, though Up is probably my favorite of them and might make a top 25) but to each their own. Definitely worth seeing.

It would just miss out on my top 10. (WTWTA makes top5.....)
"What should have been an enjoyable 90 minutes of nubile, high-school flesh meeting a frenzy of blood-caked blades, becomes instead an exploitational and complex parable of the conflicting demands of agrarianism and artistry. I voted a miss."

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #26288 on: January 26, 2010, 05:21:05 PM »
Planet Terror (Robert Rodriguez, 2007)

I laughed so hard at this.  I truly love Rodriguez, mostly when he refuses to take himself seriously.  This is quite possibly the perfect example of this.  A zombie film so full of gags and "bloopers" and editing errors and mysterious props and cheesy special effects and impossible makeup and costume changes and... it was great.  The greatest "bad" movie ever.  Another good thing, though, is he allowed most of his actors to play it straight.  So it was reasonably good acting under the "worst director" ever.  So much fun.  4/5

Weird! I was just about to watch this today but then I couldn't find the dvd. Now I want to watch it even more.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #26289 on: January 26, 2010, 06:14:29 PM »
Gran Torino (2008, Clint)

Grand Torino 2008 (Spit Scene)
How did this not win at last year's Filmspots?
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

love