love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997069 times)

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #26750 on: February 04, 2010, 07:59:09 PM »
Hannah and Her Sisters
Dir. Woody Allen

Grade A
*hugz*
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #26751 on: February 04, 2010, 08:01:09 PM »

El laberinto del fauno (Pan's Labyrinth) (Guillermo del Toro, 2006) -

When all is said and done, I liked the film. It was something different, something I haven't seen before; a vision that was genuine and well crafted by del Toro and his fellow collaborators. Another thing, before I forget, is the score. The score was fantastic too. It wasn't too intrusive, but was there for all the right times and hit all the right chords so to speak. It wasn't completely up my alley and didn't always hit, but overall an enjoyable experience.

Rating: ***

Thank you, Bill, for the dictation.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #26752 on: February 04, 2010, 08:14:41 PM »
Dear Zachary

One of the most powerful things in the first half here is just how obvious the crime was. In an age of Law and Order and CSI, there seems to be the impression that most murders are tricky. They aren’t, most murders are obvious. People aren’t good criminals and they commit crimes against people who are close to them, thus making them easy suspects. It is a true crime story that represents how these things actually are.

The stakes in terms of who would raise his child and the frame for the film, as explaining to the son who the father he’d never know was is just incredibly gripping as an entry point into this story. This documentary makes no effort at a neutral approach. It has a firm perspective and a firm structure of story telling. Some seem to take issue with documentaries of this sort, but I think it makes it that much more powerful. It gives it energy and heart. One problem with reality though, you can't take it to task for being over the top horrible.

This definitely made a strong case come Filmspot voting.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #26753 on: February 04, 2010, 08:52:56 PM »
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #26754 on: February 04, 2010, 08:59:19 PM »
The Secret of Kells

I actually went into this with the mood of "grumble, grumble, this had better be good... it's got Ponyo's Oscar nom... between this... and the Blind Side... grumble, grumble."

I wasn't expecting to love it as much as I did.  The detail in the animation... I think it's something you have to watch multiple times to even start to pick up all of the Celtic crosses, swirls... the colors.  Man, just visually, it's something to behold.  The two films I'd probably compare it's style to, not taking anything away from Kells, are Sita Sings the Blues and Persepolis.  A lot of the film is about storytellers and the way you tell a story and how that affects your perceptions.  I only hope this makes it here on the big screen, because I can only imagine how gorgeous it would look.  Hopefully BAFICI.

**** 1/2 - #1 of 2010.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #26755 on: February 04, 2010, 09:05:16 PM »
35 Shots of Rum

I fell deeply and completely in love with this film.

This is pure drama, with no melodrama. It is quiet to be sure. There are no shouting matches, huge dramatic twists, or big emotional u-turns. There is only the realistic actions of real people. We know a father loves a daughter for their small kindnesses, not dramatic exposition about familial ties. We know how a man feels about an ex from his facial expressions, not from grand pronouncements or sad indie music playing in the background. We know how a lonely man feels by the look on his face, and not speeches about the injustice of life.

Every performance is a revelation, but the best is Alex Descas. He says very little but speaks volumes. First time actress Mati Diop is brilliant as well. I think I fell in love with her. I was instantly engaged in their relationship because you dont know what it is at first, forcing you to speculate, constantly changing your impressions of them and their actions.

The dance scene is one of the most romantic things I have ever seen on film, and yet it ends with an emotional crushing scene of unrequited love. After my girlfriend and I watched the film, we re-watched the dance two times.  I cant believe I might be voting something other than IB for best dramatic scene!

I have not physically gasped in a film for a long time but I did when he said Rene was the man on the tracks.

It is also gorgeous, especially the children with lanterns scene.

This is easily in my top five of 2009.

Grade: A+

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #26756 on: February 04, 2010, 09:13:38 PM »
Dammit, why do I have to live in a cultural cease-pool. where I can't get a hold of this film.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #26757 on: February 04, 2010, 09:34:33 PM »
sam, there's a good chance that neither THATguy nor Clovis8 got a hold of either film in a way that is not also available to you if you compromise your morals.

I also have to imagine there is a ton of overrating going on in this thread, but I shall reserve judgment until I see these films.

tjwells

• Elite Member
« Reply #26758 on: February 04, 2010, 09:35:49 PM »
The Secret of Kells

I actually went into this with the mood of "grumble, grumble, this had better be good... it's got Ponyo's Oscar nom... between this... and the Blind Side... grumble, grumble."

I wasn't expecting to love it as much as I did.  The detail in the animation... I think it's something you have to watch multiple times to even start to pick up all of the Celtic crosses, swirls... the colors.  Man, just visually, it's something to behold.  The two films I'd probably compare it's style to, not taking anything away from Kells, are Sita Sings the Blues and Persepolis.  A lot of the film is about storytellers and the way you tell a story and how that affects your perceptions.  I only hope this makes it here on the big screen, because I can only imagine how gorgeous it would look.  Hopefully BAFICI.

**** 1/2 - #1 of 2010.

Yes. My GOD I couldn't get over the gorgeousness. The whole thing with the snake was insane.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #26759 on: February 04, 2010, 09:39:36 PM »
35 Shots of Rum
Every performance is a revelation, but the best is Alex Descas. He says very little but speaks volumes. First time actress Mati Diop is brilliant as well. I think I fell in love with her. I was instantly engaged in their relationship because you dont know what it is at first, forcing you to speculate, constantly changing your impressions of them and their actions.

The dance scene is one of the most romantic things I have ever seen on film, and yet it ends with an emotional crushing scene of unrequited love. After my girlfriend and I watched the film, we re-watched the dance two times.  I cant believe I might be voting something other than IB for best dramatic scene!

This is easily in my top five of 2009.

Grade: A+

Of course this makes me happy (but sad that you didn't see it in time for it to get even more nominations). I'm going to be wrestling over deciding between the dance scene and the marriage montage from Up until the last possible minute.

love