love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997063 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #26940 on: February 07, 2010, 12:42:31 PM »
Hamlet 2

I laughed.   A lot.   And very hard.  I must admit that at times I felt a little dirty inside while laughing.  Rock Me Sexy Jesus was really funny, and the production value of the play itself was one of the best jokes.  Elizabeth Shue is icing on the cake. 

Grade B

Yes, this film is fantastic. This Flemming guy directed Nancy Drew, which is also pretty good.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #26941 on: February 07, 2010, 12:43:41 PM »
the tone of realism with all the improv was constantly betrayed by how unrealistically the characters were behaving

Well I personally know someone who is exactly like, and acts exactly like, nearly every person in the movie. Sometimes when people think a movie is "unrealistic" it is simply because they have never been part of that world.

Dislike it all you like but it is completely realistic. I live everyday in exactly this world. 

I think you missed my point. Those types of people exist. Some of them are very nice people. I personally know quite a few. That wasn't what I was criticizing. What I considered unrealistic was the idea that these two specific characters would go as far as they did with the concept they came up with. You have to admit that in many ways Humpday is a high-concept comedy. It has a simple setup with a kooky concept. The characters push themselves to places that I never bought in any real way, but the film, with its style, begs the audience to take what is going on as though it were somewhat real, or at least representative of how these characters might behave. And I can tell you that to me the characters in something completely melodramatic like Magnolia, or something as unrealistic as the Bourne series come of as more real and complex and genuinely interesting than the pseudo-reality presented in Humpday.

Not to mention that the theme of the film (I'm not who you think I am, and you're not who you would like me to think you are) was hammered home pretty quickly, and the rest of the film was just extending it past my ability to bear it.

A good friend of mine ;) once accused me and other here of mental masturbation. You know what? That's what we do here, and it's what many of us probably do in the real world among real live friends. My biggest problem with the movie is that the main characters in the film pushed mental masturbation to a limit that even I could not stand. This on top of the fact that I participate in enough mental masturbation to not care to see characters engage in it on screen. Why would I watch two douchey assholes portrayed by so-so actors wax philosophical on the nature of individual sexuality and sexual exploration when I have you, Clovis, right here to get into an actual conversation with? I at least might have been more open to that aspect of the film had the characters been less pretentious and annoying.

And once again so as not to misunderstand me. I know a lot of people like the ones presented in the film. I also know a lot of douchey assholes who wax philosophical to the point of extreme annoyance. Many of them are my good friends. It doesn't make the characters in the film interesting, and it doesn't change the fact that I simply did not enjoy the film on any level.

Someone is going to have a field day with all this masturbation!

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #26942 on: February 07, 2010, 12:47:53 PM »

And once again so as not to misunderstand me. I know a lot of people like the ones presented in the film. I also know a lot of douchey assholes who wax philosophical to the point of extreme annoyance. Many of them are my good friends. It doesn't make the characters in the film interesting, and it doesn't change the fact that I simply did not enjoy the film on any level.

Cool. I can certainly see why someone would not like the movie. I just didnt think it was fair to say either; 1) it is just about guys trying to make bad art, or 2) it is unrealistic.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #26943 on: February 07, 2010, 12:49:25 PM »

I certainly hope so.

Cool. I can certainly see why someone would not like the movie. I just didnt think it was fair to say either; 1) it is just about guys trying to make bad art, or 2) it is unrealistic.

You got what I meant about it being unrealistic though, right? Not in terms of the characters or lifestyles represented. Purely in concept as it related to the protagonists.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #26944 on: February 07, 2010, 12:51:39 PM »

You got what I meant about it being unrealistic though, right? Not in terms of the characters or lifestyles represented. Purely in concept as it related to the protagonists.

Yep, that is a fair criticism, I dont agree, but it is fair. If you dont buy into that part of the film it's pretty easy to see how you would not like it much.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #26945 on: February 07, 2010, 01:03:49 PM »
the tone of realism with all the improv was constantly betrayed by how unrealistically the characters were behaving

Well I personally know someone who is exactly like, and acts exactly like, nearly every person in the movie. Sometimes when people think a movie is "unrealistic" it is simply because they have never been part of that world.

Dislike it all you like but it is completely realistic. I live everyday in exactly this world. 

I think you missed my point. Those types of people exist. Some of them are very nice people. I personally know quite a few. That wasn't what I was criticizing. What I considered unrealistic was the idea that these two specific characters would go as far as they did with the concept they came up with. You have to admit that in many ways Humpday is a high-concept comedy. It has a simple setup with a kooky concept. The characters push themselves to places that I never bought in any real way, but the film, with its style, begs the audience to take what is going on as though it were somewhat real, or at least representative of how these characters might behave. And I can tell you that to me the characters in something completely melodramatic like Magnolia, or something as unrealistic as the Bourne series come of as more real and complex and genuinely interesting than the pseudo-reality presented in Humpday.

Not to mention that the theme of the film (I'm not who you think I am, and you're not who you would like me to think you are) was hammered home pretty quickly, and the rest of the film was just extending it past my ability to bear it.

A good friend of mine ;) once accused me and other here of mental masturbation. You know what? That's what we do here, and it's what many of us probably do in the real world among real live friends. My biggest problem with the movie is that the main characters in the film pushed mental masturbation to a limit that even I could not stand. This on top of the fact that I participate in enough mental masturbation to not care to see characters engage in it on screen. Why would I watch two douchey assholes portrayed by so-so actors wax philosophical on the nature of individual sexuality and sexual exploration when I have you, Clovis, right here to get into an actual conversation with? I at least might have been more open to that aspect of the film had the characters been less pretentious and annoying.

If you read all that, you're totally a nerd.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #26946 on: February 07, 2010, 01:26:33 PM »

Breakfast Club (John Hughes, 1985)

Grade: I think you had to be there.

That's how I feel about a lot of movies from the 80's.  I don't know how I would rate them now, but I love them because they are films I watched over and over again growing up, and they hold a special place in my heart.

Makes me wonder what current films filmly afixed in people's top 100's will be the Breakfast Clubs of 2035? Cuz it's not a matter of "if" it's a matter of "when".  
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 01:31:45 PM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #26947 on: February 07, 2010, 01:32:43 PM »
Hunger

Ok we have a new entry in the "one-timers" list. I find these types of films hard to review. Is it a great film? Absolutely. Would I ever want to see it again? Not a chance.

It is really, really, really, really, really hard to watch.

McQueen creates a suffocating world inside the prison. A world filled with only pain and sorrow. This is no Shawshank. There is no hope here. As the film progresses, it becomes more and more uncomfortable. I almost had to turn it off a few times.

It is filled with amazing shots and great cinematography. The most interesting thing is it's nearly a silent film. Except for the center-piece 17 minute dialogue scene, there is very little sound at all. This makes the long-shot all the more interesting, and adds to feeling of unease throughout.

Needless to say Fassbender is amazing.

Grade:

As a film: A-
Enjoyability: D-

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #26948 on: February 07, 2010, 01:34:56 PM »
Glad you liked it?
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

joem18b

• Godfather
    • does writing excuse watching?
« Reply #26949 on: February 07, 2010, 01:39:09 PM »
Surrogates (2009)

A leading contender for the It-makes-no-sense-but-what-the-hell Oscar. Will never catch Crank 2, though.

Message: It's ok to get old without having any work done. Expect a flood of these as the boomers continue to age.

love