love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996191 times)

Jared

• Elite Member
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #27020 on: February 08, 2010, 01:39:42 PM »
Gonna be getting a little Criterion-ie this month...gonna try to watch all of the films going OOP.

Bob the Gambler (dont worry, it isnt among the OOP discs)-I need to just burn through all the Melville I get my hands on, because this and Le Samourai are both terrific, and Le circle Rouge isnt far behind. Very cool movie with a lot of interesting shady characters that are fun to spend time with.
A

Trafic-Least favorite Hulot movie, although still a lot of fun. A scene where the police need to investigate a car is particularly zany and hilarious.  Overall, it really doesnt have as much magic as Mon Oncle or Play Time, both of which will be in my next top 100.
B

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27021 on: February 08, 2010, 01:43:19 PM »

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father (Kurt Kuenne, 2008)

Kuenne basically throws anything but subjectivity out the window straight from the beginning,

Why are people surprised by this (I am not saying you were but many people comment on this)? The movie is made by his best friend! Of course it subjective. It could not possibly be anything else. It would be the worst documentary ever made if it tried to be the slightest bit objective.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #27022 on: February 08, 2010, 01:51:52 PM »
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Wow, I haven't seen such energetic and all-out zany humor in a long time.  We actually watched the film twice last night, just so much fun and a few enormous laughs.  Too bad it's too late for Filmspot noms, because the snowball fight scene would definitely have been my number one comedic scene of the year.  The visuals, while simpler looking than Pixar's work, were really striking with some really great effects.  Boasts a really fun casts of characters, excellent voice work and a story that really clips along.  Just behind Fantastic Mr. Fox for my favorite animated film this year.
A-

I swear more people need to get on this bandwagon.
I'm on the bandwagon. I liked it a lot.

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #27023 on: February 08, 2010, 01:56:26 PM »

17 Again (Bur Steers, 2009)

It's silly and predictable but Zac Efron totally sold this one for me. It was funny and fun and it's exactly what I want from a movie like this.

Grade: B

Funny People (Judd Apatow, 2009)
This started off looking so promising. The opening credits with the prank calls and all the archive stuff was a lot of fun to watch. I also really liked whatever little we get to see about the life of a comedian, the interactions in a comedy club and so on. But then the movie really completely fell apart for me. All the stuff once we get to Marin County was just such a mess. Both Adam Sandler and Leslie Mann's turn into characters that I had no sympathy for and they just got on my nerves. But the third act is the real trainwreck here. The parts that I think are meant to be funny aren't funny at all and I guess some stuff is
supposed to feel poignant and that doesn't work either. Plus, the film just goes on and on and on. Eh, I enjoyed the cameos though and the film could've used more Aubrey Plaza in it. I was happy/surprised to find out that Jason Schwartzman was in this movie but then he never quite fits in and  looks like he walked in from another movie altogether. Worst offence though is that it really should've been funnier.

Grade: C

Up In the Air (Jason Reitman, 2009)

The best part of the film is the chemistry between Farmiga and Clooney and I really liked the way the film treats their relationship especially early on. Overall, I enjoyed the first half - all smooth and charming and fun (just like Clooney) but then we get to the wedding which I guess is supposed to be a transformational moment but it just felt terribly contrived and badly written to me. Anna Kendrick is pretty great but ends up being little more than a plot device especially in the second half. Still, pretty enjoyable especially because the cast is so immensely watchable.

An Education (Lone Scherfig, 2009)

Ugh, this one is easily the worst offender in the series. It's just so bland and predictable and self-righteous and oh yeah, boring! Just like Peter Sarsgaard's character.
I could never quite understand why everyone in the film is supposed to find him so charming and irresistable. Olivia Williams and Emma Thompson are woefully underutilized and it's inexplicable to me why neither of them is able to articulate why they think education and a career in teaching is rewarding and fulfilling. Seriously? Mulligan's performance is solid but Molina was easily the best part of the film for me. He was the only character I felt any sympathy for. Oh and the other boy who likes Mulligan and comes to her birthday party is pretty great too despite having very little to work with.

Grade: C-

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27024 on: February 08, 2010, 01:58:27 PM »

17 Again (Bur Steers, 2009)

There is some serious relative grading going on here. I hate curves.  ;)

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #27025 on: February 08, 2010, 02:08:22 PM »

Ugh, this one is easily the worst offender in the series. It's just so bland and predictable and self-righteous and oh yeah, boring! Just like Peter Sarsgaard's character.
I could never quite understand why everyone in the film is supposed to find him so charming and irresistable. Olivia Williams and Emma Thompson are woefully underutilized and it's inexplicable to me why neither of them is able to articulate why they think education and a career in teaching is rewarding and fulfilling. Seriously? Mulligan's performance is solid but Molina was easily the best part of the film for me. He was the only character I felt any sympathy for. Oh and the other boy who likes Mulligan and comes to her birthday party is pretty great too despite having very little to work with.

this... all of it. Saw this and Fish Tank with 24hrs of each other and it really crystallized the difference esp in regard to the older man.  Fassbender>>>Saarsgard

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #27026 on: February 08, 2010, 02:10:01 PM »
Fish Tank is much better than An Education.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27027 on: February 08, 2010, 02:11:29 PM »
Fish Tank is much better than An Education.

I haven't seen Fish Tank, but it's completely impossible that 17 Again is better than An Education.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #27028 on: February 08, 2010, 02:16:31 PM »
it's completely impossible that 17 Again is better than An Education.
Hard to compare them, but I thought they were about equally good, C+/B- range for me.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #27029 on: February 08, 2010, 02:17:28 PM »
Most things are better than An Education.