love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996779 times)

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #27060 on: February 08, 2010, 06:15:33 PM »
17 Again (Bur Steers, 2009)
Funny People (Judd Apatow, 2009)
Up In the Air (Jason Reitman, 2009)
An Education (Lone Scherfig, 2009)
17 Again was the best out of all of these, yes.
They were all pretty middle of the pack for me. All have their strengths, none are great, I thought.

Was Thomas Lennon nominated for 17 Again?
('cos he's funny, isn't he?)
I considered it.

He was on my ballot (and mine alone).  Because matt the movie watcher hates comedic actors.
:D
With Galifianakis on my supporting ballot, and Paul Rudd at the top of my lead ballot, I think I was starting to think I was overdoing the comedy thing. Looking back now...no shame!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 06:24:47 PM by matt the movie watcher »
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #27061 on: February 08, 2010, 06:28:18 PM »

Up In the Air (Jason Reitman, 2009)

The best part of the film is the chemistry between Farmiga and Clooney and I really liked the way the film treats their relationship especially early on. Overall, I enjoyed the first half - all smooth and charming and fun (just like Clooney) but then we get to the wedding which I guess is supposed to be a transformational moment but it just felt terribly contrived and badly written to me. Anna Kendrick is pretty great but ends up being little more than a plot device especially in the second half. Still, pretty enjoyable especially because the cast is so immensely watchable.

Grade: B

That wedding scene, I agree, doesn't work with the rest of the film in the sense that it happens naturally, but I also don't think it's supposed to be a transformational moment completely either. The genius of that scene is how it sets up the sense of security in the audience member, the film just has to be like every single other film we've seen similar things in countless times before, and for the next however many scenes exactly that happens. Right before Reitman totally hits the audience with a gut shot. It's just such a perfectly constructed script for me.

Also, totally great to see more people be on Team FLY when it comes to An Education.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #27062 on: February 08, 2010, 07:01:19 PM »

Written on the Wind Douglas Sirk, 1956

Why can't all movies look like this one? It's so awesome. It's basically the recipe for Gossip Girl and all that shit with rich heirs and heiresses turning out all CINECAST!ed up and with all kinds of familial issues (CHUCK BASS) and turning to all these different things to deal with them. Robert Stack has his drink, and Dorothy Malone CINECAST!s anything that moves. Even with all the critique and the phalluses and all that cool stuff, it's still awesome. It's not as powerful as Imitation of Life, but it's hard to deny how damn entertaining all the melodrama is (even the ending). This film confirms what I kind of already knew: Rock Hudson is awesome. Seriously. I need to go through this filmography in worship and do dances to praise his strange way of talking. He's magnificent. Basically, you could probably spend forever and a half going through this movie and analyzing all the color schemes and the mirrors and all that stuff, but you'd get distracted with Malone's dancing and the way that Hudson carries himself and the overwhelming amount of things which mean nothing, but we ascribe meaning to anyway. It moved me. Please arrest me.

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #27063 on: February 08, 2010, 07:16:14 PM »

Written on the Wind Douglas Sirk, 1956

It moved me. Please arrest me.

Woo!! I liked it more than Imitation of Life, I think, but need to watch that one again. And yeah, Hudson is fantastic :).
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 07:28:24 PM by worm@work »

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #27064 on: February 08, 2010, 07:20:52 PM »
Just to be clear ... Gossip Girl is better, right?  TAFKAV should chime in on this.

omg, how many episodes behind am I?  Like four?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #27065 on: February 08, 2010, 07:24:48 PM »
Just to be clear ... Gossip Girl is better, right?  TAFKAV should chime in on this.

Spoiler for ep 12: [noembed]This is pitch-perfect[/noembed]

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27066 on: February 08, 2010, 07:25:37 PM »
think you might be in wrong thread  ;D

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #27067 on: February 08, 2010, 07:27:45 PM »
Every thread is a Gossip Girl thread.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #27068 on: February 08, 2010, 07:29:25 PM »
Yeah! You brought back the old tag line!

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #27069 on: February 08, 2010, 07:38:42 PM »
Phew. I'm laughing a lot. Almost hit my 10 laughs threshold for the movie!

I know! It's a funny movie!