Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996130 times)

flieger

Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #27070 on: February 08, 2010, 08:21:01 PM »

17 Again (Burr Steers, 2009)
I laughed 7 times in the first half, then 4 times in the last. This does push me over the artificially designated 10 laugh threshold for the film, so, technically, I enjoyed the film.
The majority of the laughs come from Thomas Lennon as Ned, and mostly in the first half. As the narrative threads - such that there are - are obligingly tied together, the good will and the laughs dissipated. Zac Efron is fine, and extremely pretty, but filmspottable? Really? Sure there's MILF/cougar jokes, and moral preachiness, but I thought that was par for the course after being groomed by Disney. He doesn't hold my attention, and his comic skills are still in utero. But seriously, what's with the gender politics? Shrews, ice-queens and tramps? And all the purity nonsense? It seemed to stem from somewhere a lot deeper than Mike regretting his own youthful transgressions. I found the whole thing just a little too reactionary and bland by the end. And judging by the bags under Perry's eyes, you just know that this experience of lost youth will push him towards some sort of painkiller abuse, and so the cycle continues. The fun bits were over, the giddiness of rediscovered youth paled, and the illusion of agency and free will was maintained. Oh, and where was my montage? We had Zac dancing, but no montage! I feel violated.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27071 on: February 08, 2010, 08:25:07 PM »
Ya it pretty much hates women. I think skjerva's head would spin off if he had to watch it.  ;D

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #27072 on: February 08, 2010, 08:29:38 PM »
Le Jour Se Leve
 Rouj and pix were right. This is pretty great. Especially the first half. Oddly enough, its the third French film I've seen in a row, and I think its my favorite.

Grade: A
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #27073 on: February 08, 2010, 08:30:17 PM »
Interesting.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #27074 on: February 08, 2010, 08:31:04 PM »
Magnolia

I am trying to avoid re-watching many movies at the moment as my collection of unwatched is growing.  But I forgot I had pre-ordered this on Blu-ray a while back and it was waiting for me in my mailbox when I got home from work yesterday and it was still early enough for me to take 3 hours out of the evening.

I still love it, I was wondering if I would think Boogie Nights was better when I re-watched it the other month but it is not.  Still good but just not this good.  
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #27075 on: February 08, 2010, 08:32:01 PM »
Where does TWBB fit in all of this?

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #27076 on: February 08, 2010, 09:24:45 PM »
I need to revisit TWBB soon but I say it is #1.  Punch Drunk Love is at the bottom but still a favorite.  I haven't watched Hard Eight yet so at the moment PTA has a perfect record.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #27077 on: February 08, 2010, 09:32:55 PM »
I haven't watched Hard Eight or Boogie Nights, but I'm inclined to go TWBB far and away number one, PDL number two, and then Magnolia. Glad to hear you enjoy TWBB a good deal, and that even with PDL at the bottom you still liked it.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #27078 on: February 08, 2010, 09:48:19 PM »
It is hard to say PTL being at the bottom as it is so good.  Even though he is quirky, it made me wish Adam Sandler would also attempt to take on more serious roles.  The movie is worth watching just for the car crash scene

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #27079 on: February 08, 2010, 09:52:49 PM »

Written on the Wind Douglas Sirk, 1956

It moved me. Please arrest me.

Woo!! I liked it more than Imitation of Life, I think, but need to watch that one again. And yeah, Hudson is fantastic :).
I love you guys.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com