Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996694 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #27560 on: February 17, 2010, 02:50:11 PM »
A Bittersweet Life

This is such a shame.  It seems to have been overshadowed by lesser Korean films.  Beautifully shot and really tense, this is such a great revenge film.  The story follows a young but prominent enforcer for a Korean crime family.  After he is given a simple task, but apparently doesn't follow it through to the liking of his boss, he becomes a the gang's most wanted man and must endure horrendous torture and near death on a path of redemption. 

The Sundance Channel ran this over the weekend, and unfortunately glitched out, dropping about 10 minutes of the story.  This film is a great revenge film, one of the best recent ones.  I wish it had a larger following.

Grade B+
I've seen it and mentioned it often.  It's in my Top 100 of the last decade.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #27561 on: February 17, 2010, 03:30:08 PM »
I need to watch both of those... Today. Well, not today. But pretty soon. Well, one day. Damn it.

They're both great, and so is The Scarlet Empress.

It's too bad the DVD of Shanghai Gesture is so bad, but I love that twisted little movie.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #27562 on: February 17, 2010, 05:51:38 PM »
Love Happens (Brandon Camp, 2009) -
One of those that actually made me squirm at how bad it was sometimes.
Rating: *1/2
We turned it off after 25 minutes.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #27563 on: February 17, 2010, 06:52:26 PM »
Also, everyone should check out A Bittersweet Life.  Download it, purchase an import, do anything to see it.  Its a great little film.

I have had the disk sitting at home for probably 3 years and not watched it yet.  Will do so this weekend.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #27564 on: February 17, 2010, 07:14:58 PM »
I don't want to saay too much about it, but "Revanche" is an absolute masterpiece. Powerful, and in the vein of Bresson. See it.

Saw it twice in the theater and left really impressed both times.  Antares isn't on Revanche's level but it's a fine film, methinks.  I'm not reminded of Bresson though.  I see it as a film of The Decalogue in the style of Haneke.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #27565 on: February 17, 2010, 07:33:48 PM »
The Hurt Locker

Maybe the first movie centered around the Iraq War that I have liked.  My favorite of the Nominees that I have seen so far. I still have yet to see A Serious Man, Up in the Air, Precious, An Education, and The Blind Side (which I probably won't bother).  Hopefully A Serious Man will arrive today or tomorrow.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #27566 on: February 17, 2010, 07:36:13 PM »
 Hopefully A Serious Man will arrive today or tomorrow.

and hopefully you'll watch it all the way through, read the entire spoiler thread here then watch it all the way through again before sending it back :)
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27567 on: February 17, 2010, 07:45:23 PM »

and hopefully you'll watch it all the way through, read the entire spoiler thread here then watch it all the way through again before sending it back :)

I approve of this strategy, it is exactly what I did. Didn't make me love it, but it made me appreciate it.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #27568 on: February 17, 2010, 08:08:27 PM »
I don't want to saay too much about it, but "Revanche" is an absolute masterpiece. Powerful, and in the vein of Bresson. See it.

Saw it twice in the theater and left really impressed both times.  Antares isn't on Revanche's level but it's a fine film, methinks.  I'm not reminded of Bresson though.  I see it as a film of The Decalogue in the style of Haneke.

The film reminded me aeshtetically of "L'Argent" for some reason. There is nary a wasted shot in the whole picture. It's a movie that feels longer than it actually is (a compliment in this case) because so much happens organically in just 2 hours. The ending, and my interpretation of it, really seals the deal.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 08:19:43 PM by Holly Harry »
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #27569 on: February 17, 2010, 08:15:04 PM »

I bought it from Amazon on Blu-ray and had it shipped to Singapore.  So it doesn't need to go back.  I have been avoiding most of the reviews and other discussions on this forum as it has been my most anticipated movie to watch for the last year.