Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996272 times)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #27590 on: February 18, 2010, 11:25:25 AM »
Wow, the /filmcast attacks a movie by a 'fashionable to hate' director, I'm shocked.

Sometimes it's fashionable to hate a director for a reason. He has an impressively long list of really bad films. ;)

He has made one good movie (Doubtfire) and a couple OK ones (Potter and Home Alone), although I realize most people love Potter. He has made 9 really bad movies. Overall RT 33%.

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief (2010)
I Love You, Beth Cooper (2009)
Rent (2005)
3-D Rocks (2005)
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)
Bicentennial Man (1999)
Stepmom (1998)
Nine Months (1995)
Mrs. Doubtfire (1993)
Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (1992)
Only the Lonely (1991)
Home Alone (1990)
Heartbreak Hotel (1988)
Adventures in Babysitting (1987)

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #27591 on: February 18, 2010, 11:29:52 AM »
Adventures in Babysitting is AWESOME!  The DVD is sitting 3 feet from me, on my nightstand for some reason.  And Home Alone?  That movie is incredible.  Helps that it was written by John Hughes.  Oh, and let's not forget that Columbus wrote Gremlins and the Goonies!

I can't hate Chris Columbus, but his recent films have been lacking the awesome of his earlier work.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #27592 on: February 18, 2010, 11:31:56 AM »
High Life

A fun little movie. Not what I expected. Never quite as crazy OR serious as Trainspotting. Has hints of Reservoir Dogs. The acting is great. Timothy Olyphant is awesome. The aesthitics are fine for a low budget. I liked some of the character dynamics. Ultimately it's a nice little movie. It won't make any Top 10 list but it was definitely a nice way to spend 90 minutes.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27593 on: February 18, 2010, 11:43:20 AM »
Adventures in Babysitting is AWESOME!  The DVD is sitting 3 feet from me, on my nightstand for some reason.  And Home Alone?  That movie is incredible.  Helps that it was written by John Hughes.  Oh, and let's not forget that Columbus wrote Gremlins and the Goonies!

I can't hate Chris Columbus, but his recent films have been lacking the awesome of his earlier work.

I agree but let's not forget:

I Love You, Beth Cooper (2009)
Rent (2005)
Bicentennial Man (1999)
Stepmom (1998)
Nine Months (1995)
Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (1992)
Only the Lonely (1991)
Heartbreak Hotel (1988)

I'm just saying that it may not be all "fashion" that breeds his hate.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27594 on: February 18, 2010, 11:52:45 AM »
Rent (2005)
Nine Months (1995)

I wouldn't want to forget these, Rent is awesome and Nine Months was quite enjoyable as well. I know some people don't like anything to do with Rent as a musical, but his version captures the musical very well. I certainly would rather watch it than Chicago.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27595 on: February 18, 2010, 11:58:01 AM »
Rent (2005)
Nine Months (1995)

I wouldn't want to forget these, Rent is awesome and Nine Months was quite enjoyable as well. I know some people don't like anything to do with Rent as a musical, but his version captures the musical very well. I certainly would rather watch it than Chicago.

Interesting, I saw the play twice, once on Broadway, and loved it but thought the film was pretty terrible.

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #27596 on: February 18, 2010, 12:02:29 PM »
Rent is a good film, his two Potter films are fine and Nine Months is enjoyable.  That goes along with Home Alone, Adventures in Babysitting and Mrs Doubtfire to produce a fairly reasonable CV.

Sure, he's not Martin Scorsese, but not everybody has to be.  Does that mean Percy Jackson is good?  Probably not or it wouldn't be getting released in February but does it look like there's enough there to inspire the hatred that was no doubt spewed by those numpties over on /Film? Absolutely not, it just looks like something dull and forgettable.

They should stick to hyping up shitty comic book of the month, 'reviewing' whatever crappy TV show they're watching that week and stop trying to critique films. Although, that said, I do like Dave Chensky and enjoy listening to him, it's just a pity who he's saddled himself with.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #27597 on: February 18, 2010, 12:06:21 PM »
I, for one, will be working hard to make sure my opinions don't line up with what might be considered "fashionable", therefore negating them entirely.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27598 on: February 18, 2010, 12:08:37 PM »
Titanic

Much Much better then I thought it would be. Definitely better then Avatar. Could make my top 100. The romance itself is great, but what really makes this movie is the final hour when the boat sinks, it's just soo amazing. It's sentimental and big, but I fell for it. In a way I didn't really fall for Avatar.

Crazy Heart

BRIDGES!! I enjoyed it, I thought Bridges was great, Gyllenhaal was ok, Colin Farrell was pretty good. The movie is not very interesting, and a bit cliche, and Cooper's visual style has a couple of tricks but not much else. But Bridges makes this enjoyable.

His Girl Friday

I'm not exactly sure what just happened, but I think I enjoyed it.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #27599 on: February 18, 2010, 12:09:15 PM »
I have no problems with people hating whomever they choose to. As long as they're saying something worth listening to and don't sound like they've just wandered off from the imdb boards.